Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Forester XT Touring Stock Cooler/Heater Hardlines Deleted Custom 19 Row Cooler with -6AN Lines Directly Ported to CVT
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Those of you that follow me know I have put a lot of work into my FXT.
I have a 2015 FXT Touring with 41k miles. I have all of the original parts that can be reinstalled on the car having even less miles.

I am highly considering selling my car in order to purchase a 2020 Legacy XT. The only unfortunate thing is the "Sport" version is not available with the XT motor...
Otherwise it has the same power plant and transmission as the Ascent. With the motor a little detuned. That transmission is rated for towing 5000lbs on the Ascent. So a little tuning is not going to bother the transmission.
Yes it would be nice if there were a 6 or 7 speed, but I don't really mind the CVT. Now granted I do like the body of the current 2019 Sport a little more than the 2020 body. Probably because it looks like a WRX front end minus the scoop. After scouring the info on the 2020 it looks like they have put together a tight and light chassis much stiffer, a lower center of gravity in order to achieve better gas mileage on the fwy.

I know plenty of people have gone the route of the Ascent or the Crosstrek for various reasons.
When I was up at Newcombs Ranch on Labor Day everyone still thought my SJ was a sleeper. I really do have a love for Forester's. However even though I believe I have built a nicely modified FXT my true love is the Forester as a Wagon! So if we were talking about the Levorg I wouldn't even be posting up regarding this.

Below is a bit of my history you can read it if you want or just post up and let me know what you think of the 2020 Legacy XT?

I turned 50 this past November. My past includes years of track time on two wheels road race and supermoto. Even better beating up on 600's with my supermoto regeared on tighter tracks like Streets of Willow, Buttonwillow, Spring Mountain, etc.
Unfortunately due to being permanently disabled. My riding days are done. So all I have left is 4 wheels. I recently was speaking with an old friend who knew me when I was quite a bit younger. We were talking about canyons at track, etc.
I explained my injuries/surgeries and that I'm back to four wheels only. I was talking about ACH and not driving over 60-70% up there with all my track experience. He then reminded me of my early 20's four wheel driving. He said, "I just drove crazy, but you, you were always fast!"

I was a water cooled VW guy for a very long time. I always enjoyed having a sleeper sedan. My last one was a VR6 MIV motor and suspension setup by Ron Wood at VW Specialties a couple of year prior to him retiring.
I had a 92 GLI 16v that had been beat on and I bought it as a fool around car! We turned it into our first Lemons race car.

Previously to seeing the picture of my car when it was up for sale I was looking at several options.
A history of what got me where I currently am...
My Forester owing legacy 99s purchased with 85k miles sold with 280k miles, 06' NA with HD suspension purchased with 65k traded in with 85k miles, Current 2015 FXT Touring purchased with 21k miles currently has 41k miles is heavily modified in every way imaginable!

I had an 06 NA Forester with the HD Suspension and 85K in pristine condition inside and out. My mom's husband had accidentally scraped the side of the car with his so he paid for the entire car to be repainted.
I found a good used set of the OEM tweeters witch made all the difference in the world. I also installed my AVH-4000NEX with the USB and an extra 12v power port installed in upper center dash cubby.
It was on a rebuild title, but I was able to find the original accident pictures which showed it had been side swiped. It was great as a daily and a nice looking car.

Plan #01 Find a third gen FXT with a blown whatever. My mechanic has the hookup on auction Subie's. Find a newer model totalled STI drop them both off at my mechanics hand him 10k and tell him to take the FXT down to the pan and perform a complete swap starting with the wiring loom.
He would build the crap out of the motor! So complete drivetrain and interior swap. I would keep my 06 NA as my daily and setup the FXT with the proper suspension, brakes, bracing, etc. It would be my canyon, Auto-X, and track day car.

Plan #02 Find a Legacy Spec B within the last two years it was available. I'd again keep the 06' as my daily. My mechanic's handle is @Legacyracer so you can guess what would happen next.:grin2:
I actually found one it was priced right and well taken care of. But, it had nearly 200k on the clock. Even though I sold my 99s Forester with well over that mileage and probably should have kept it once my mechanic fixed it! 200k on a Spec B means you've gotta take it down to metal replace every seal, bushing, etc.

Plan #03 Find a stock STI hatch with the right mileage and price. I found some, but the pricing in this state.....

Plan#04 Find a 3rd or 4rth gen Forester that has already had the proper STI swap treatment. Of course one of our members posted a low mileage 2010 FXT with a complete STI swap! A couple months after I purchased my car! lol

If I haven't bored you yet at least you know my history that had me arrive where I am. It came to pass that my living situation left me with only one parking space.
Additionally I had just received the first large check/direct deposit for my Federal Disability back pay. Otherwise I'd still be driving my 06'.

For poops and giggles I plugged my 06' into one of those trade in value sites. I was just curious what my trade in value would be. It even had a title as other choice.
I was thinking I might be into purchasing a low mileage CPO SJ FXT.
I received an email with an offer on my car and they showed me a 2015 Premium FXT with 42k miles and it was some rust or brown color.
I decided to check out their inventory before I replied back to them. I found my car with 21k miles 2015 FXT Touring and a CPO.
I replied back to the salesman and inquired if my car was still up for sale. It was.....

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,116 Posts
Wow, beautiful. For me, I am not fond of the Outback. I prefer the higher sitting position of the Forester.

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
2,857 Posts
Nice vehicle. Myself I like the Outback because it is a wagon especially if it had the turbo engine. It would have to be lowered. However, I would probably wait until the 2021MY to see how the 2.4l is as far as reliability and if there was any other problems it being new generation.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
343 Posts
Decisions, decisions. Just one man’s opinion here, the Spec B option sounds like a fun project along with everything else you listed as an option. I’m always a fan of building what you want rather than buying stock. I was initially interested in the 2020 Legacy when the news arrived, but quickly decided it’s not for me. It will be a nice car, but it’s just another run of the mill Japanese sedan in the looks department. I honestly don’t find one thing remarkable about it with the exception of the option for a turbo. However, offer me a Legacy wagon with a turbo and I’ll be waiting in line like there’s a new Star Wars movie coming out.

I’m a wagon guy myself which is why I scoured the earth for 2nd gen Foz with as few miles as I was able. I’ve also been snooping around trying to find another bug eye WRX wagon in good shape, not easy at this point. I never should have sold the one I had. The 08-13 STi hatch is also on my short list of future purchases but I’d still rather have a wagon personally.

Hard to say what you should do here. It sounds a bit to me like you are interested in a taking on a project as opposed to just buying off the lot. If this is the case I fear you would be bored rather quickly of your brand new car. Then comes the desire to mod and tune, and having to rationalize tossing more money at a brand new ride, along with weighing that against the warranty. Which may or may not be an issue depending on how friendly your dealer is.

Lastly, that is a very nice Forester that you have there. I’d be hard pressed to sell it against any of your other options, if it were me. That said, I also know what it’s like to get bitten by the bug and have to make some moves. Sometimes there is no rational other than wanting something different. Gotta love first world problems.

·
Premium Member
2015 Forester XT Touring Stock Cooler/Heater Hardlines Deleted Custom 19 Row Cooler with -6AN Lines Directly Ported to CVT
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Decisions, decisions. Just one man’s opinion here, the Spec B option sounds like a fun project along with everything else you listed as an option. I’m always a fan of building what you want rather than buying stock. I was initially interested in the 2020 Legacy when the news arrived, but quickly decided it’s not for me. It will be a nice car, but it’s just another run of the mill Japanese sedan in the looks department. I honestly don’t find one thing remarkable about it with the exception of the option for a turbo. However, offer me a Legacy wagon with a turbo and I’ll be waiting in line like there’s a new Star Wars movie coming out.
Ya like I said if we had the Levorg...

First two things I always do to a car before even thinking about power.
Brakes and Suspension!!!!

If I return the FXT to Stock-ish. My coilovers just may work on the Legacy. Depending on what wheel pattern it has will be where I can see what brakes will work.

It sounds like they really stiffened it up. So SS brake lines pads, rotors and an RBF flush and fill.
I'll see if they put too big of a swaybar on the front end again. Usually my first suspension upgrade to all three of my Forester's has be a larger rear swaybar.

When I first saw the pics ACCORD flashed through my brain immediately! But, the vanilla is the point for me. SLEEPER Stage 1 Brakes, Rear Swaybar, and a guy that kinda knows how to drive...

My first ACH run in my current FXT was Michelin's my idea of Stage 1 Brakes, 20mm Rear Swaybar, Mann-Engineering Springs, Cusco Front Strut Tower Brace, AEM Intake, GrimmSpeed 3 Port, and a Dyno-tuned Accessport. I was taking a friend from up north there for his first time. I actually ran to Newcombs on my gas mileage tune. I was going to pull over when we got off the FWY to change it, but I saw two problems in front of me already. So I just hit the hill in front of them.
I completely wasted a stickered out Bugeye and was able to stick to the rear of a new stock STI up until corner exit.

I don't even want to talk about what happened after I changed the tune at Newcombs and left about 5-10 minutes after a mean sounding Vette. Especially when he decided he was going to try to pull away on corner exits....>:)

If I only lived in a different state and had two parking spots!!!!:grin2:

·
Registered
2019 Forester - Touring CVT
137 Posts
It's really your opinion that matters, so much of this is personal taste. The 2019 Legacy is already Consumer Reports' highest rated mid-sized sedan, and the 2020 will be a clean draft, with significant improvements. I imagine the Legacy will provide a nicer driving experience - quieter, more comfortable, and better handling, plus it will get better mileage, saving some money in operating costs and being kinder to the planet, but - you'll lose the utility of the hatchback. There's also an all-new 2020 Outback coming this year I believe?

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
145 Posts
I'm having a hard time following what you're looking for, it seems that you're posting about building Foresters, STis and Spec Bs, but the questions is if you should sell your 2015 XT for a 2020 Legacy XT?

Legacy XT is interesting. the 2019 Sport looks cool, Personally, I'd be waiting until 2020 to see what configs the XT comes in, I would hope there is an appearance package to go with the power. Not that a Legacy isn't cool, but at that point you might as well crossshop the Mazda 6 Turbo and the Honda Accord 2.0T.

Honestly, i would hold out hope that there is a nice looking 2020 Outback XT to get the wagon functionality.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm having a hard time following what you're looking for, it seems that you're posting about building Foresters, STis and Spec Bs, but the questions is if you should sell your 2015 XT for a 2020 Legacy XT?

Legacy XT is interesting. the 2019 Sport looks cool, Personally, I'd be waiting until 2020 to see what configs the XT comes in, I would hope there is an appearance package to go with the power. Not that a Legacy isn't cool, but at that point you might as well crossshop the Mazda 6 Turbo and the Honda Accord 2.0T.

Honestly, i would hold out hope that there is a nice looking 2020 Outback XT to get the wagon functionality.

This is my third Forester. I was/am in love with the first 3 generations as they were wagons. I like my car, but it takes a lot more modifications to get power out of the 2.0FA motor compared to just adding a bigger turbo to the earlier 2.5's!
My heavier SJ needs the extra torque for my setup/style of driving. I don't like to slow down for turns. I am on the gas sooner than most people who are still braking. I enjoy doing track days and letting it all hang out in a safe environment.
I really like bumming out/surprising the hell out of Motorcycles and "meant to be fast" cars in the canyons. I only drive at 65-70% in the canyons I leave the traction control on and you'll never hear my tires squeal.

While I love having the hatch it's no longer a necessity. Everytime I see an Outback I get a bubble popup that says "that damn thing is just big!" Now if I wanted to keep a hatch and keep stock height or raise the car a bit the Outback XT would make a lot of sense to me. For running mountain fire, and desert dirt roads, and hitting my favorite camping sites (which are unpaved roads hidden in the mountains) than the Outback would be the car.

I'm having a hip replacement in a month which might just change my mind about everything. I haven't been able to have any procedures done due to my heart surgery in 2017 and some blood tests a year later that showed declined kidney function. This is all good now and my cardiologist gave me the go ahead in December. it took some new x-rays seeing the PA and finally seeing my orthopedic surgeon to get the ball rolling. I actually had to postpone my surgery due to my car repairs not being finished from my accident last Thanksgiving! (long story you can click on my sig

My previous Forester's where kind of setup for both styles of driving at stock height. And while I had my first one I thought I may be able to ride my supermoto again. But, my last neck surgery and subsequent cervical degeneration has made that impossible. (After I recover from the hip surgery my neurosurgeon is suggesting I have another cervical surgery. Meh!)

So I still want to go around corners at a decent clip. I like to do it in a sleeper! Something you just don't think should be able to handle and accelerate the way it does. Heck I've been driving a Corolla as a rental and I'm faster than everyone just doing fwy interchange ramps and such. Lol

So there's a "Sport" model of the 2020 Legacy and the pics look good. But, reports state it won't be available in the XT trim... Kind of like only the bottom end of the SJ's having a stick shift available!
I think they are going to do the same thing they did with the SJ Forester XT's a Premium and a Touring model. That's just my non-educated guess btw.

Honestly, I'll probably keep my car. Especially after my hip replacement. It's been really uncomfortable for me to be in a car for more than 15-20 minutes for at least a year. I've been without the use of my car since last Thanksgiving!
I've had to fix all of my custom wiring and my oil & trans cooler setups myself. I finished off the coolers this morning. Fired her up with fluids, burped the system, and I found out I have to add more trans fluid. That's the only code I have.
When I had checked it a month ago there was almost no oil in the motor so there was a cam solenoid error and a trans solenoid error. Now both the solenoid codes are gone, but I have a TCM relay sensor low code.
Once I get that dealt with next Tuesday. They can do the paint, put on all the new moldings and bumper cover, etc. And I should have it back by next Saturday.

I have put a ton of work and money into my car. I had reached the point that all I really had left was the STI interior stuff I had already started on and dechroming it. A couple of the dechroming things are actually happening due to the accident!
The lower side moldings on one side had to be replaced so I had the body shop get the stock ones without the chrome strips for all of them and they are going to paint the chrome fog light trim black.
Unfortunately I think I have to smog it this year. It's going to be an absolute PITA to return it to stock!!!! Race season is starting, which means my personal mechanic will only be in town sporadically a few days at a time for the next six months...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts