Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester Automatic
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday I picked up my 2019 Forester Premium in dark grey metallic. I had waited 6 weeks for the car since we had to order from the factory. It replaced my blue 2011 Forester base model. Lots of new bells and whistles in 8 years. It’s definitely an upgrade and update for me. I like the adaptive cruise control. Auto Stop/Start is weird— I don’t like or dislike it, I don’t always hit the brake hard enough to engage it, but it is a weird sensation when it does engage. I love the Auto lights. Driving to and from work this week I was getting between 25-26 mpg. Today I drove 76.6 miles and got about 34 mpg. Getting used to all the beeps and lane keep assist. One weird change is the direction to turn the intermittent wipers speed— it’s the opposite of the 2011. Definitely happy with my 2019 Forester

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good looking Forester. We went from a 14 Limited to a 19 Premium and are still adjusting to all the new technology as well.
It does have a learning curve. I think I am mostly used to it, but I haven’t played much with the infotainment system yet. Mainly using the radio and utilizing the free 4 months of SXM. Still learning the size of the car since this one is bigger than my old one.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
475 Posts
How was your experience with Bill Rapp? I tried to buy mine from there, but they were completely unwilling to get me anything that wasn't on their lot --- either dealer trade or special order. And they were 'too busy' to deal with me the first time I stopped in and had me work with one of their used car salespeople from the former Nissan dealer.

I ended up going with romano.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And I had the opposite experience. Bill Rapp ordered this car for me since they didn’t have any in the color, trim level or options I wanted. They also gave me their best deal and a great trade in. At Romano my salesman(who I purchased the 2011 Forester from) kept pushing for me to go up an option package ( package 14 with the blind spot monitoring)and they only offered the Subaru guaranteed trade in of $5250. I didn’t feel like jumping through hoops to get a deal. I had bought a Pontiac Grand Am at Bill Rapp 13 years ago.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
184 Posts
I've had my sport for about 6 months and still learning and getting used to stuff. Looking "forward" to winter stuff - since I live in Maine that isn't too far away - already enjoying heated seats. For most I suspect you settle in on certain settings and just enjoy the experience while changing things as little as possible

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had my sport for about 6 months and still learning and getting used to stuff. Looking "forward" to winter stuff - since I live in Maine that isn't too far away - already enjoying heated seats. For most I suspect you settle in on certain settings and just enjoy the experience while changing things as little as possible
Yeah, I will enjoy using the All Weather package, but hope I won’t need to. Coming from a 2011 base model to the 2019 Premium there are a lot of new features that I’ve never had before, so I’ve been playing with them all for now.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
85 Posts
It does have a learning curve. I think I am mostly used to it, but I haven’t played much with the infotainment system yet. Mainly using the radio and utilizing the free 4 months of SXM. Still learning the size of the car since this one is bigger than my old one. View attachment 523452 View attachment 523453
I also am still (after over 2 months) still dealing with size issue, my 2019 is a lot bigger than my 2003 (and the more rounded curvy shape makes me unsure where the boundaries of the car are). For some reason I often end up with the car at an angle when I park it (parallel parking mostly), never happened before so somehow my perception of space is different with this car.
I think I'll try to get a pic of new car next to old 2003 (neighbor bought it, so it's parked just a few doors down the street)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Package 14 had a lot more going on than just the Blind Spot Warning... it had the keyless start and entry, color multifunction display, and more stuff. I have a Package 15 which has a power rear gate, but aside from that it's the same.

Glad you're pleased. I love my Auto Start Stop feature now, and I have learned quickly to apply moderate pressure to engage it or light pressure to keep the engine idling if I am at a stop sign or at an otherwise brief stop where I don't want the AS/S to activate.

The AS/S also gets better over time, I remember it being a little rough and jolting when I first got the car.

I like the car a lot - my only criticism is that there's no Hybrid, I would be all over a Hybrid Forester in a SECOND.

It handles so well! It drives more like my old 2009 Legacy than it does my 2011 Outback.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Package 14 had a lot more going on than just the Blind Spot Warning... it had the keyless start and entry, color multifunction display, and more stuff. I have a Package 15 which has a power rear gate, but aside from that it's the same.

Glad you're pleased. I love my Auto Start Stop feature now, and I have learned quickly to apply moderate pressure to engage it or light pressure to keep the engine idling if I am at a stop sign or at an otherwise brief stop where I don't want the AS/S to activate.

The AS/S also gets better over time, I remember it being a little rough and jolting when I first got the car.

I like the car a lot - my only criticism is that there's no Hybrid, I would be all over a Hybrid Forester in a SECOND.

It handles so well! It drives more like my old 2009 Legacy than it does my 2011 Outback.
I
After playing online on a couple of the dealerships websites, I realized I could get package 13– the All Weather Package on a Premium at a payment I could afford. My 2011 was the base model with the alloy wheel package plus a few accessories. Since I hadn’t had all the upgrades previously, I wouldn’t miss them if I didn’t get them. I tend to be practical and not go for all the bells and whistles. I live near Syracuse, NY which is known for it's snowy winters, so I really wanted the All Weather package. I didn’t need keyless start— my car is usually parked in a garage, blind spot warning, rear lift gate... My 2011 had the All Weather floor mats, the self dimming mirror, cargo net, and cargo mat, so I ordered them for this car since I didn’t want to give up things I already had.

Yeah I am getting used to AS/S. Adaptive Cruise Control is nice. The car handles nice. The reason I got the 2011 was because of how well it handled and the visibility and the 2019 the same.

Still learning the size of the car. It’s bigger/wider than the old one and I’m still getting used to that, but I’ve only been driving it for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Oh, sorry, I misread your post before. Option 13 is still great, and if the blind spot system saves you from one crash it's worth it, right?

Yeah, it took me a few weeks to get used to the Forester too. I was coming from an Outback, so it was a higher driving perspective and tighter turn radius than I was used to... Adaptive Cruise and AVH is one of my favorite features, I use them every day driving.

I did turn off the Lane Departure Warning because I felt it was a bit on the more sensitive side, but I do keep Lane Keep Assist on.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium CVT
31 Posts
Nice ride Kat9! I have the same vehicle on route to the dealer. Hopefully I will get it by the weekend. I live near Buffalo, NY so the All Weather package was a must.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CWP/Brown 2018 Crosstrek Limited White/Gray
214 Posts
And I had the opposite experience. Bill Rapp ordered this car for me since they didn’t have any in the color, trim level or options I wanted. They also gave me their best deal and a great trade in. At Romano my salesman(who I purchased the 2011 Forester from) kept pushing for me to go up an option package ( package 14 with the blind spot monitoring)and they only offered the Subaru guaranteed trade in of $5250. I didn’t feel like jumping through hoops to get a deal. I had bought a Pontiac Grand Am at Bill Rapp 13 years ago.

I find things like this depend on: How many cars they have on their lot, how soon the next shipment arrives, and how popular the car is. I'm in NJ, lately it seems like every other car I see is a Subaru.

Remember, dealers are paying interest on their loans, cars sitting on their lots cost them money.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CWP/Brown 2018 Crosstrek Limited White/Gray
214 Posts
Nice ride Kat9! I have the same vehicle on route to the dealer. Hopefully I will get it by the weekend. I live near Buffalo, NY so the All Weather package was a must.

Ah Buffalo, an ancient Indian word for "why would you want to live here" (sister in law lives in Williamsville) . o_O

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I waited 6 weeks for mine. We had to order it from the factory.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium CVT
68 Posts
Traded my '17 Premium in for a '19 Premium. Put 1K miles on it. I really liked the upgraded chassis . Car seems more planted. Feels heavier. A bit quieter and smoother.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium CVT
31 Posts
I waited 6 weeks for mine. We had to order it from the factory.
Mine was on the way from the factory when I purchased. I got it Thursday the 19th. I'm still getting use to all the new technology. A lot has changed since the purchase of my last car. I love the Forester so far.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium CVT
68 Posts
I have kept track of my gasoline usage since drove away from the dealer.

I have used 29.9 gallons of gas to drive 1014 miles. 33.9 mpg. The ECU is showing 33.2 mpg, so it underestimates a bit.

I will see if my mileage improves now that the engine is "broke-in."

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine was on the way from the factory when I purchased. I got it Thursday the 19th. I'm still getting use to all the new technology. A lot has changed since the purchase of my last car. I love the Forester so far.
Yeah a lot had changed since I bought my 2011 Forester. So much more technology.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts