Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a full set of shocks for the Foz due to the typical sti knock but don't know really what to go for.

I've spoken to Phil from Pedders and he suggested the lowering kit but I really don't want to lower her and as they don't do a stock/OE ride height shock kit for the Fsti i'm a bit stumped to where I'd get a set.

Am I going to have to scrape out the butter and repack the stock struts or?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Andy.

Reactions: Natedog

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I did somewhat like my Tein flex and EDFC on my sf5's but they got pretty corroded with the lovely salty roads here, especially the top mounts and stanchion/strut tubes round the threads not to mention the flaky paint on the mountings.

So I'd rather not go back to Tein and don't really fancy coil overs again. I just want a more comfortable ride on my 45 year old posterior :grin2:

Cheers.
Andy.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About £700 to a grand but the less expensive the better obviously 😝

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5 STI Manual
308 Posts
You could do 0% finance on the Meisterr GT1's for £59 a month....

Or get the ZetaCRD for £769, 30 different settings so would be able to find something for your geriatric ness ;-)

Youd need camber bolts though for OEM ride height

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oooh those MeisterR ZetaCRD look to be a serious contender. I've read @brownpantsracing 's thread on Scooby net and may be swayed into purchasing those... I'd only need camber bolts for the rear though....

Thanks for that pal👍
They're coming in at £849 though unless you know of somewhere else they're at the price you stated.

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI
586 Posts
I've got BC racing coilovers on mine. They are great. Built well and won't shatter your spine when you run over a cats eye. They are worth considering.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You could do 0% finance on the Meisterr GT1's for £59 a month....

Or get the ZetaCRD for £769, 30 different settings so would be able to find something for your geriatric ness ;-)

Youd need camber bolts though for OEM ride height
Well I've done it and gone for THESE

I know I said I didn't want to go for coil overs but hey I changed my mind when read a few threads on the Zeta CRD kit.

Cheers for your help lads :thumbsup:

Andy

EDIT: I bought the Eibach front and rear camber bolts too even though the front top mounts on the CRDs have camber adjustment. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5 STI Manual
308 Posts
I think i just saw the £769 as being the first price on the page and didnt actually look for the scooby fitment price.

Im running GT1's on mine, ive done a thread on them on here and scoobynet if you want to see my ramblings

Youll only need the bolts if you want to run OEM height i found. Due to the rear suspension, anything more than 25mm arch gap clearance (top of tyre to lip, not scientific i know) meant id get positive camber when i was wanting negative. Strangely the suspension came set-up at this 25mm from factory so i guess it depends on what ride height you want.

·
Registered
2004 STi
209 Posts
Have Meister R coils improved their corrosion protection in the last 5 years at all? Will they fare any different to the Teins you had?

I don't need these yet but its probably good for me to plan ahead for when I do :)

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hope so @batou .I'll be coating the threads in lithium grease to help prevent it. I'm also hoping that as they're made here in the UK that they'll have plenty of powder coating on them as the Teins were a bit shocking how thin the paint / powder coating was.

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI
586 Posts
Liberal coating of WD-40 or ACF-50 on the threads and body once a year should suffice..

·
Registered
2004 STi
209 Posts
I hope so @batou .I'll be coating the threads in lithium grease to help prevent it. I'm also hoping that as they're made here in the UK that they'll have plenty of powder coating on them as the Teins were a bit shocking how thin the paint / powder coating was.
They are engineered and assembled in the UK/USA I believe, they do R&D for making them specific for UK roads so they ride better than say some off the shelf BC Coils, they also, i believe, manufacture some CNC parts here to achieve this. However, the suspension itself is manufactured in Asia when I looked into the about 5-6 years ago, not saying this is necessarily a bad thing as the support company is UK based at least.

When I was last in the market I don't believe there were as many options so they didn't offer a more premium version, just one set of dampers for the Mini R53 at around £600-700 and they weren't up to scratch for me (for that money I wasn't expecting them to be) so opted for KW Clubsport with top mounts instead but they were around £2K+. The Innox coating KW use is mega, those dampers had done 30k+ miles, seen plenty of winter and tracks and not a spot of rust on them, the collars would never have any issues either.

The Meister's that I saw come off cars that had done a lot of road miles were pretty corroded so it was advised to at least coat the threads with something, and clean them before and after every winter, however, I'd be very, very surprised if the company has not improved this in the last 5 years. From what I remember the guy who ran Meister R was always looking to improve his product and took a lot of feedback on board. I would probably ask them directly what they suggest.

Edit. On a side note, I can't actually see Forester specific ones listed on the site so I must have missed something?

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI 6MT
46 Posts
Good choice, I just removed knocking BC’s from my FSTI and fitted the Zeta CRD, they’re night and day to be honest, far more compliant, I’ve got them set right in the middle 15/16 clicks and they’re spot on.

I don’t have them set particularly low either, we have a steep drive that can catch the underside of cars that are too long/low, don’t have measurements but here’s a pic to give you an idea.

I sprayed them right down with ACF50 when I fitted them in December and importantly greased the hell out of the threads that enter the bottom mount, my rears on the BC’s are seized solid there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 2.5 XTen & FSti Manual
730 Posts
Oooh those MeisterR ZetaCRD look to be a serious contender. I've read @brownpantsracing 's thread on Scooby net and may be swayed into purchasing those... I'd only need camber bolts for the rear though....

Thanks for that pal👍
They're coming in at £849 though unless you know of somewhere else they're at the price you stated.
I rate the MeisterR shocks I had fitted to mine. I have them set pretty hard but there is plenty of adjustability. Its not going to ride like an XT though of course.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good choice, I just removed knocking BC’s from my FSTI and fitted the Zeta CRD, they’re night and day to be honest, far more compliant, I’ve got them set right in the middle 15/16 clicks and they’re spot on.

I don’t have them set particularly low either, we have a steep drive that can catch the underside of cars that are too long/low, don’t have measurements but here’s a pic to give you an idea.

I sprayed them right down with ACF50 when I fitted them in December and importantly greased the hell out of the threads that enter the bottom mount, my rears on the BC’s are seized solid there.
Looking sweet @Muzza80 just the ride height I'm after :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Edit. On a side note, I can't actually see Forester specific ones listed on the site so I must have missed something?
I went for the Impeza GD 01-07 same as @brownpantsracing did. They have the same running gear as the JDM Fsti.

They should be here Monday but weather is sh1t3 so may have to take them and the Foz to a mates lockup to fit them.

Reactions: Lockheed
1 - 20 of 49 Posts