Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 XT Touring 4EAT
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well...the itch has reached an all-time high so I'd like to throw this question out there for this knowledgeable community. BTW...ive asked many questions, with very solid/respected advice from Nate , superacerc,and many other experienced suby fans, as well as read everything I can find....

But "just to be difficult" I'd like to hear some advice on what turbo to go with other then a vf52. While I love what that turbo can do (both having driven a stage 2 '11 wrx and see some thorough vf52 SH swap writeups), what would u recommend? Again, nothing wrong with the VF...but what may I be overlooking?

With the 4eat and my preferred driving style and habits of twisties,low end grunt,city power....i just find myself switching turbo choices almost daily. While id most likely be happy with any of my top 3, I'm just open to advice/input. At the moment anything from the vf52, td05-16 and 18gs from blouch,kinugawa,etc....to steamspeeds options, to FP hta68.....JB turbos in that flow range resulting in 300-350whp are what I'm considering. As far as mods for the time being we have fms tmic,dw65, Perrin turbo inlet,cnt catted dp,GS 3 port........along with any other necessities as I'm finding the turbo to suit my needs, then buying the inj,intake,exhaust to best suit it.
Thoughts?? Advice???

Thanks...from someone that spends to much time reading, rather then just pulling the hook. Sigh.

Added:
What I'm getting at is stuff how I've read how solid the vf52 is overall across the rpm range..." why not go for some form of 18g for some added power up top. Well that's because the VF spools 400rpm (example) sooner".....which then brings the hta68 into the equation. But then while that has the quick spool...ur basically challenged to look into steamspeeds options as they have some hybrids that spool quicker yet still hold like a 20g....but at that point am I just avoiding a blouch 18gxt type setup and being done with it?

·
Registered
04 forester xt
969 Posts
Depends on your budget, you can keep your injectors with the vf52. Once u go bigger than so does the costs. I miss the instant spool of the Vf . The bigger turbo are more civil, they don't come in all at once like the Vf it's more spread out

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2011 SH S-Edition 5EAT
202 Posts
My brother in law owns a performance parts place in Australia (car Mods Australia, if you're interested in knowing which store) and he's recommended to me GT Pumps turbos as being a very good turbo for the money. As good as, if not better than Blouch but much cheaper (here in Aus at least, but nothing is really "cheap" down here...). For what you've mentioned, their GTPS03TM sounds like a good match.

Plenty of guys have also had great results with Kinugawa TD05-XXG (16, 18 and 20)

There is one SH in Australia running stock internals on the BNR16G making 231 kW/~295 hp on E85; he does a lot of hill climb racing so wanted a quick-spooling turbo that will still have some use at redline...

For me, I have a VF52 running:

- Perrin TMIC
- Perrin turbo inlet
- DW65C
- ID1000s (just installed this passed weekend, wow! nice improvement on pump gas)
- TurboSmart BoV

VF52 and 5EAT (yes, FIVE-EAT) are stock on my car (FYI, 1st and 5th are about 1st and 4th of the 4EAT, so I get 3 in the middle, not two)

Anyway, I'm very happy with my results using Eric from Torqued Performance.

Here's a boost pressure graph from my latest 3rd gear log run (I'm really happy...):

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 turbotek tuned fxt 4eat paddle shift
3,539 Posts
The hta68 is discontinued and i still think everything you are asking for screams vf52 i really loved mine and miss its neck snapping torque.

·
Premium Member
2011 XT Touring 4EAT
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depends on your budget, you can keep your injectors with the vf52. Once u go bigger than so does the costs. I miss the instant spool of the Vf . The bigger turbo are more civil, they don't come in all at once like the Vf it's more spread out

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks for the input!
Since I'm in zero rush, I don't want to say that there's no budget...just that in order to get the end result I want ill just extend the timeline and save up some more. I don't need a setup by this weekend.
And the neck snapping/quick spool is my main goal...hence why the 52 is a front runner. The only real reason I guess that I haven't gone that route yet as there seems to be some options out there that spool darn near as quick and offer better top end, internal components,more power down the road should I throw id1000s on when an E85 pump pops up down the street,etc ...as I don't believe I'd notice the +/- 500 rpm spool diff.

I drive out of my way (too far as far as the wifes concerned!) to find and enjoy twisty roads...seeing that I'm hardly pulling to redline and don't care what the dyno says # wise, I just want to come out of the bend and jump back on the throttle thinking, "holy s��it!!"

·
Premium Member
2011 XT Touring 4EAT
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My brother in law owns a performance parts place in Australia (car Mods Australia, if you're interested in knowing which store) and he's recommended to me GT Pumps turbos as being a very good turbo for the money. As good as, if not better than Blouch but much cheaper (here in Aus at least, but nothing is really "cheap" down here...). For what you've mentioned, their GTPS03TM sounds like a good match.

Plenty of guys have also had great results with Kinugawa TD05-XXG (16, 18 and 20)

There is one SH in Australia running stock internals on the BNR16G making 231 kW/~295 hp on E85; he does a lot of hill climb racing so wanted a quick-spooling turbo that will still have some use at redline...

For me, I have a VF52 running:

- Perrin TMIC
- Perrin turbo inlet
- DW65C
- ID1000s (just installed this passed weekend, wow! nice improvement on pump gas)
- TurboSmart BoV

VF52 and 5EAT (yes, FIVE-EAT) are stock on my car (FYI, 1st and 5th are about 1st and 4th of the 4EAT, so I get 3 in the middle, not two)

Anyway, I'm very happy with my results using Eric from Torqued Performance.

Here's a boost pressure graph from my latest 3rd gear log run (I'm really happy...):
Thanks !!! Awesome info. And the graph was a big help as well.

·
Premium Member
2011 XT Touring 4EAT
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The hta68 is discontinued and i still think everything you are asking for screams vf52 i really loved mine and miss its neck snapping torque.
Yup, found that out on the hta, just not being in a rush don't mind waiting/hunting one down should that be my choice. Harder then it seems though as not to many people aren't fans once they get them!!

Thanks nate, ur probably right (again). I haven't discounted ur recommending it before.....just a devils advocate thread I guess. Just because I want to join ur E85 army asap!!!! Which I feel has to open the convo up to some more choices as far as a good choice now on 93...that with a couple tweaks down the line will bring the most reward should PA elect to have more then five E85 pumps one day.

·
Registered
2009 forester xt TD05-18g 4eat
591 Posts
realistically....If I had a choice to redo it id hunt down an HTA68 or similar. Id redo my setup much slower and collect all necessary parts before doing the swap. I rushed my build and I wish I hadn't, I mean I really like the TD05-18g as people have stated its a very civil turbo and is great for a daily driving great spool characteristics. However, for what I want this car for I wish I had some more instant spool. Because like you I enjoy my twisties and coming out of them like a bat outta hell.

The 4eat is great but I think there is a weird gap in there almost seems to be a missing gear range that would even out a larger turbo like the 18g.....How come NA is so stupid and doesn't give us all the great trans antlantic/pacific options????

·
Premium Member
2011 XT Touring 4EAT
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
^^^thanks quick finger...i was gonna PM u for ur take as I've been following ur build as well!
That's why I'm not in a rush. Obviously id def be "happy" with any choice as I love the car already, but I don't need to jump on this specific used VF.....or so and so has a sale in kinugawa today only...ill just wait and find the next deal, im great at that. So doesn't hurt me to research and enjoy learning as I go.

And to answer ur gearbox/options question(with zero fact based)...id say probably to keep everyone buying the next version that comes out. Ie: the new wrx having a six speed now. Heck, id be driving a V5/6 sti wagon in yellow if we had all the options each year.

·
Registered
2009 forester xt TD05-18g 4eat
591 Posts
Haha true enough I suppose.

Np, If you do have any more specific questions feel free to pm I always have this site up on my phone and generally check 2 times a day atleast sometimes more often now that im sitting around in school half the time

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Have you ridden in an XT with a VF turbo to see if that is enough power for you? VF turbos are great because they are cheap, bolt right up and work with stock injectors well. But, your goal of 300-350whp is not possible with a VF52 on pump gas -- you'll need injectors and at least 18G. Cost goes up.

People worry about spool. TD04 spools quicker than a VF but there is no way I'd pick it over a VF due to extra power and difference in drivability. I think my thoughts on VF vs 20G would be the same.

Stan

·
Premium Member
2011 XT Touring 4EAT
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you ridden in an XT with a VF turbo to see if that is enough power for you? VF turbos are great because they are cheap, bolt right up and work with stock injectors well. But, your goal of 300-350whp is not possible with a VF52 on pump gas -- you'll need injectors and at least 18G. Cost goes up.

People worry about spool. TD04 spools quicker than a VF but there is no way I'd pick it over a VF due to extra power and difference in drivability. I think my thoughts on VF vs 20G would be the same.

Stan
Thanks Stan, was hoping you'd chime in! Very helpful input.
And no, i haven't ridden in an XT with a VF upgrade...which i think is why i'm still undecided. But that would be a logical first step, just hasn't happened yet.

And while that 300-350 goal is very lofty for me, and all depends on which turbo i choose to even be a possibility, those final numbers themselves are more like goal #3 or #4...as i'm just using that range as a reference (based on different subies i've driven/ridden in in that HP range) for the type of performance and more importantly "feel" that I want. And that feel i'm looking for i think best matches the VF52/68HTA/18G "middle" ground between my current td04 and some td06-20G....both in type of delivery and rpm range driveability that i seek.

Not to ramble, hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring AT
1,841 Posts
Thanks Rescuer! Been following that thread, and your progress in it as well!
i got almost all my parts..........just not the darn turbo! i've emailed steamspeed 4 times this past week to two different people...and no reply.
now i've resorted to sending them a PM on nasioc since i see them log in.
my order was placed on dec 2nd ;/

·
Registered
2011 turbotek tuned fxt 4eat paddle shift
3,539 Posts
They still have to come from kinugawa and ufortunatly that takes a while or at least mine took about 2 weeks maybe longer to come from taiwan.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring AT
1,841 Posts
They still have to come from kinugawa and ufortunatly that takes a while or at least mine took about 2 weeks maybe longer to come from taiwan.
ha! actually steamspeed finally gave me tracking info, and it was shipped OVERNIGHT yesterday!!!!!! Taiwan to my house in one day :D

too bad the damn DHL person didn't bother to KNOCK at my door, which is a very loud banging metal gate, and instead left a note to deliver tomorrow -_-

overnight shipping ftw!

·
Registered
2011 SH S-Edition 5EAT
202 Posts
Just re-read this, and VF52 is screaming at me...sure you won't get 300+whp on regular gas as Stan says,m but you'll definitely get high 200s; with stock injectors (565s???) I was getting approx. 260-265 bhp (estimated), now on ID1000s, I'm getting about 10-15 bhp more (I was mid-high 90% IDC on stock injectors, now sitting at no more than 59.99% :icon_biggrin:

As nate mentioned, it has absolutely brutal torque kick at different rev-ranges depending on tune... mine just "explodes" (as a buddy of mine put it) at about 4,000 RPM... which is perfect for me :)

·
Premium Member
2011 XT Touring 4EAT
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
^^^^thanks Sean!

Well I guess I know what to hunt down now...each response has swayed (or better yet, opened my eyes the rest of the way) to the VF.

Any input on these links???? While the prices can work their way back up towards msrp of a new one...i think its quite a different turbo at that point with the replaced turbine,compressor wheel,etc. And even just going the standard rebuilt route (with or without finding a solid core to send in) seems to be a better option maybe then a used one that's been run at 20psi for 30k and still costs 500.

http://6starspeed.com/vfwrtu.html

http://6starspeed.com/reihivftusuw.html

1 - 20 of 56 Posts