Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 SJ XT
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chaps,

I've been reading through many threads on 'modest' power increases :icon_wink: for £60, but am wondering if a TD04 with remap would be OK for an automatic gearbox? I'm thinking I may be limited or is the gearbox good for the gains of this upgrade combo? I've got an SG XT on a 52 plate.

I bow to your superior knowledge (again) :Banane35:

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
A TD04 is on the limit of size for an auto 2.0 IMHO (although Subaru sold WRX' 2.0 auto in Japan) , a remamp (with a few supporting bits) of your car on stock turbo would see you at about 220bhp, add a TD04 and you'll get about 260-270bhp.

Simon

·
Registered
2017 SJ XT
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rookie, tbh 220BHP would be enough (for now), around the same I had on my WRX Impreza. I only run on Optimax or the 'Every Little Helps' 99 so I can see a remp would definitely help, when you say a few supporting bits...? Exhaust? Green filter? 17" wheels? Arb upgrade?

Maybe I should stop being a a lazy smeg and search the forums...:chair:

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
SonicJunior, have you done any research into good tuners in the East Anglia region for that remap?

-- Steve

·
Registered
2017 SJ XT
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Steve, TenTenths mentioned ExtremeScoobies as a good lot (formerly XtremeScoobies), they talk about ECU mapping on their home page. They're north of Chelmsford if you fancy a day out..

Nige

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
That's not too far. I willl be interesting to find out if they have much experience of tuning automatics. It's not really more power at the top end that I would like (though it would be nice of course), but more torque around the stall speed for extra urge off the line.

-- Steve

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,591 Posts
Tracktive in Melton Mowbray are not too far from you

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Indeed, well we could have told you that!

Simon

·
Registered
2017 SJ XT
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry Simon :icon_redface: thought I had read all the automatic gearbox posts. If I just did the remap would I see a difference without resorting to H&S etc? I just put in a K&N filter and surprisingly my mpg went up from pants 26mpg to 27.5mpg. I'm thinking as I only ever run on Tesco 99/Optimax I can expect a modest consumption decrease? I'm doing long runs only pretty much atm due to work mileage

Nige

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
The filter won't have changed your fuel economy at all, something else changed (like ambient temperature....)

A remap may see a modest economy improvement, but don't expect much, circa 2% at most.

If you are planning more mods soon, do them before the remap to take best advantage! If you later free up the exhaust for example then you won't gain full benefit versus what may have been achieveable with it in for the remap, although the difference will be small.

Simon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts