Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting inspired by a thread on here last week, I finally pulled my finger out at the weekend and fitted the Infinity Kappa speakers that I've had lying around for the past year.

I started off making some MDF spacers but after a couple of iterations, I realised I was going to need more time (and patience) than I had available!

So, I toddled off to Halfords and bought some of these...

Which are a speaker adaptor kit for a Vauxhall Corsa (1993 on).

Halfords | Autoleads SAK-3001 Vauxhall Corsa Speaker Adaptor Kit 3/93+

I've used these in the past to fit speakers to an Impreza WRX so I figured they'd be a pretty close fit for a Forester too and I was right. Two of the mounting holes lined up perfectly, and the other just required an extra hole to be drilled.

I could also have elongated the bottom two mounting holes rather than drilling a new one, as using the two existing holes and drilling another does offset the adapter slightly from the hole in the door. However, I only think this would be an issue if you had speakers with seriously big magnets on them (but then you'd probably have issues with mounting depth too!).

The only other modification to the adapters that was required was to cut off a lug which I presume lines up with a hole on the Corsa door but which on the Forester just stops the adapter from sitting flush with the door.

Step 1: Line up the original speaker with the new adapter and drill a new mounting hole...

Like so...

Step 2: Chop off the Corsa lug...

Once that's done, you just need to mount them to the door using the screws that held the original speakers in place, wire up your speakers using whatever means you prefer (I used the innards from MKI Ford Focus speaker adapters to attach to the original plug as the prongs were the same size), mount the new speaker to the adapter and put the door card back on.

Obviously, the sound has improved massivley... despite being co-axial speakers, the Inifinity Kappas I have are decent speakers featuring a seperate crossover and are have an impedance of 2 Ohms which means they can be driven easily by most head units (I can thoroughly recommend the Infinity Kappa and Reference series for anyone just running off they're head unit).

Also, as the Corsa adapters angle the speaker up slightly, the imaging has improved massively (that and having proper tweeters in the Infinity Kappas) since the speakers are facing towards you a bit more now.

At some point, I may upgrade to an amp (if I can be bothered to run new speaker wire!) and a set of components but for now, I'll just enjoy the improvement in sound quality!

It's a really simple job to swap the speakers out (just take your time removing the door card so you don't break anything) and it makes a big difference to the sound quality (especially on earlier Foresters without tweeters, like mine).

You don't need to spend mega bucks to get a big improvement over the stock speakers either. These...

Alpine SXE-1725S Speakers - Car Audio Direct

...or these...

Alpine SXE-1750S Speakers - Car Audio Direct

...plus the adapters...

Vauxhall front speaker adaptors (17cm) Fitting Adaptor - Car Audio Direct

...make this less than a £60 job so you don't even have to lie to the Mrs! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2005 2.0XT Auto
461 Posts
It's a really simple job to swap the speakers out (just take your time removing the door card so you don't break anything) and it makes a big difference to the sound quality (especially on earlier Foresters without tweeters, like mine).
I'm confused, I thought all XT's were fitted with tweeters? I thought yours was an '03? :confused:

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,831 Posts
I'm confused, I thought all XT's were fitted with tweeters? I thought yours was an '03? :confused:
No, the early XT's came without them :icon_frown:

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is one of the first demonstrator cars. Wiring is there for the tweeters, just not the tweeters! ;o)

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,831 Posts
Looking at the specs they only arrived in MY05 as standard.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't suppose you'd have a part number for the cover? (rather than the tweeter kit itself - got an itch that needs scratching now and don't fancy buying the tweeter kit only to throw the tweeters away)

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to worry... just spoke to T H White - £50+ for the covers, or £60 for the tweeter kit. I guess that itch has been banished then!

Will have to keep an eye on fleabay instead! ;o)

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,831 Posts
Not to worry... just spoke to T H White - £50+ for the covers, or £60 for the tweeter kit. I guess that itch has been banished then!

Will have to keep an eye on fleabay instead! ;o)

EDIT.

Have looked again and its not totally clear when you lookup as to fitment.

Listed are RH 94251SA020 and LH 94251SA030 and these are $13.31ea !!

On here its clear when they changed for MY05..........
http://opposedforces.com/parts/fore..._equipment_interior/door_trim/illustration_1/

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
20 Posts
Thanks Gigsy for inspiring me to change my front speakers with your guide.It was a Christmas holiday project.Got the halfords adaptors then modded the wiring kit to the speakers.I fitted infinity reference 6532i.great improvement in sound.Door cards were way easier to take off than imagined.
How about XT rear speakers?are they odd sized?has anyone replaced those?

Pete

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,831 Posts
How about XT rear speakers?are they odd sized?has anyone replaced those?

Pete
Managed to fit 5" ones in mine without any hassle.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad it helped. As Don says, rears are easier and you have more mounting depth... am about to upgrade the rears on my WRX to some nice JL Audio 2 ways :biggrin:

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
I bought a pair of tweeters from Maplins for a tenner. They plugged straight in. I stuck them with a couple of sticky pads.
I posted about them on here but cant use the search for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts