Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday the low washer fluid warning screen and symbol on dash activated when I was driving home. I added fluid (it took over a gallon) and thought nothing more of it. Later, when I used the car again, I got a notice that there was an "important" message via Starlink for my car. The screen then connected to starlink and I was told that my fluid level was low. In addition, I actually got an email on my PC from "mysubaru" telling me my washer fluid was low and offering me an appointment at my dealer to have the problem fixed at my expense.

Just seems very creepy to me that the car would tell Subaru central that my washer fluid was low and then get messages regarding same.

Makes me wonder what other info the car is sending without my knowledge!

·
Registered
2016 Forester
898 Posts
It's part of the starlink service I believe, you can just not renew it when trial expires or remove the antenna as some have done on the previous gen.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
312 Posts
This is the inherent problem with all of this interconnected smart technology business. Just wait until the "driver fatigue" monitor systems become standard. Then we can all have a camera in the dashboard that watches us constantly. Imagine what this bit of tech will be reporting back to the mother ship. Enjoy the future!

·
Registered
2015 forester cvt
72 Posts
can you retain remote start w app and disable the rest of the monitoring?
i ordered (got the vin ) touring need to know in advance

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
No, but you can disable all notifications. Log into MySubaru and visit the Settings area. From there you can choose how you would like to be notified.

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium
269 Posts
We should all expect this in our modern era. When mobile phone apps literally listen to your conversations and pick keywords to use for targeted ads(if you allow it). Your car is similarly following its programming, using its sensor capabilities, to capitalize on any situation where you might possibly be enticed into the dealer to spend money with them. I guess its 'creepy' if you are unfamiliar with the capabilities of the systems in the vehicle, but if it were oil or coolant level being low it could be an asset.

Easy to turn off the notifications or cancel the subscription, I know I did this immediately. I can handle the routine upkeep of the car I do not care for the 'nanny-tech' becoming more prolific every day.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD
595 Posts
If you have the MySubaru app and a Starlink account you can log in a find everything that is monitored.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
846 Posts
There are always positives and negatives to any technological advances.

Tracking on your cellphone can help find you if you somehow get lost and can’t or won’t voluntarily respond, whether you’ve been mugged and lying in a ravine or at a hotel seeing a girlfriend.

You’re being watched all the time, when you’re in stores, walking down the street or driving down the interstate... the only question is to what degree.

I saw in my local newspaper yesterday that many modern airplanes with seatback screens for entertainment also have cameras built into them, both Boeing and Airbus... although no carrier has admitted to any plans to use them.

DNA testing now routinely solves 50 year old unsolved murders.

Whether all this is good or bad depends on how an individual sees it..

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
854 Posts
It's part of the starlink service I believe, you can just not renew it when trial expires or remove the antenna as some have done on the previous gen.
I'd remove the antenna asap.

No, but you can disable all notifications. Log into MySubaru and visit the Settings area. From there you can choose how you would like to be notified.
And you believe they do what they say? LOL, maybe they do, maybe the don't or somewhere in between. Sell your data for couple bucks too. :)

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
@Natedog I don’t have to believe anything. You either select which notifications you want and how you want to receive them or you don’t and that’s it. No magic, no what if’s, no believing, just plan old personal selections.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
4 Posts
@Whitesc That just turns off the messages the system sends to you, not the info going to Subaru. They will still get the data. They just won't tell you any more.

·
Registered
2006 Forester 5-speed manual
305 Posts
And they expect us to be happy with driverless cars?

Looks like I should get my restoration of my Peugeot 404 happening soon.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited automatic
62 Posts
Since this topic came up. By extension, does Subaru have an air plane like "black box" that records driving and location?

PS: We had an XM radio in our prior Subaru and I wondered how the radio "talked" to home. Given today's technology, I couldn't believe that this would have been overlooked. I didn't see any obvious indications of how it was done. So I assumed the radio would have "data" dumps near cell towers that Sirius had access to. Anyway, with our new Subaru, they did disclose such a set-up.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
312 Posts
[Whether all this is good or bad depends on how an individual sees it..]

Unfortunately the public's opinion is usually molded by a marketing campaign built on convincing us that what we think we see isn't what "it" actually is.

[By extension, does Subaru have an air plane like "black box" that records driving and location?]

Yes. All cars have them now. Ford has had "black boxes" in their cars since 2005. All GM cars with OnStar have had them all along. Chrysler started implementing them with the LX platform in the mid 2000's (Magnum, Charger, 300) I believe all manufacturers have been required to put them on every car as mandatory since the implementation of CAN in 2009.

[And they expect us to be happy with driverless cars?]

Yup. And the fools who don't realize where all of this "smart", "driverless" technology is taking us haven't been paying attention. It's yet another example of trading freedom for "safety". You know you can't have both, right?

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT CVT (High Torque)
227 Posts
Can all of this “eye in the sky” monitoring be disabled by simply pulling the fuse for the telemetry module? That seems simpler than pulling the antenna, if it works without creating any other issues.

Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
854 Posts
@Natedog I don’t have to believe anything. You either select which notifications you want and how you want to receive them or you don’t and that’s it. No magic, no what if’s, no believing, just plan old personal selections.
Right...

@Whitesc That just turns off the messages the system sends to you, not the info going to Subaru. They will still get the data. They just won't tell you any more.
Correct.

PS: We had an XM radio in our prior Subaru and I wondered how the radio "talked" to home. Given today's technology, I couldn't believe that this would have been overlooked. I didn't see any obvious indications of how it was done. So I assumed the radio would have "data" dumps near cell towers that Sirius had access to. Anyway, with our new Subaru, they did disclose such a set-up.
XM and Sirius are satellite, not cellular connected.

[Whether all this is good or bad depends on how an individual sees it..]

Unfortunately the public's opinion is usually molded by a marketing campaign built on convincing us that what we think we see isn't what "it" actually is.

[By extension, does Subaru have an air plane like "black box" that records driving and location?]

Yes. All cars have them now. Ford has had "black boxes" in their cars since 2005. All GM cars with OnStar have had them all along. Chrysler started implementing them with the LX platform in the mid 2000's (Magnum, Charger, 300) I believe all manufacturers have been required to put them on every car as mandatory since the implementation of CAN in 2009.

[And they expect us to be happy with driverless cars?]

Yup. And the fools who don't realize where all of this "smart", "driverless" technology is taking us haven't been paying attention. It's yet another example of trading freedom for "safety". You know you can't have both, right?
This.

Can all of this “eye in the sky” monitoring be disabled by simply pulling the fuse for the telemetry module? That seems simpler than pulling the antenna, if it works without creating any other issues.

Has anyone done this?
That would be the best and easiest fix, course it maybe hard wired, but that can be fixed too with a wiring diagram and some hand tools.

·
Registered
281 Posts
This is off car topic, but similar.

Our phones that we use daily. listen to us regularly. Me and my wife started to notice that any thing we say we want, without even searching for it online, we start getting ads for it on the side bar.

one of many occasion. my wife said she wanted gummy bears. next time she looked on her phone for whatever, there was an ad for gummy bears and where to buy them.

The craziest one, we didnt even speak about it. The phone camera faced a product in our house that we normally dont purchase. Somehow, she started getting ads specifically for that product.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited automatic
62 Posts
XM and Sirius are satellite, not cellular connected.
Sirius receives its signal from satellites. But that does not mean that the radios don't have a capability of talking to cell towers.

Page 4 of the 2019 Starlink "Safety and Security" pamphlet states: "Subaru Starlink uses the nationwide 4G LTE cellular network (where available)." Our 2015 Subaru did not have Starlink as it exists today. But I bet that the Sirius radios, in our 2015 Subaru, communicated with a cellular network to undertake data dumps from the radio. I can't believe that the marketing arm of Sirius would have let such an opportunity pass. Almost all of our electronic devices spy on us.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts