Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 GM67 + 03 SG
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TireGate.com - The Ultimate Spare Tire Carriers!

Anyone seen something like this? Having discovered Rasta4x4 today while digging around for skid plate + nudge bar combination ideas, I found they provide a swing away tire mount. However, it requires modding of the rear bumper skin, which isn't a huge deal, but I was hoping for something a bit easier.

Then I found the link above. It sits in the tow hitch receiver and comes with a second 2" female receiver to allow you to tow with the mount attached. The only problem I've found is that it doesn't allow 5x100 lug pattern.

I've heard MSRP is $690, which isn't too bad for what it provides. For the hardcore offroader, I'm sure a roof basket with spare mount is better. For the occasional offroader, this might provide a decent option that won't kill gas mileage.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Very nice, however if you find a local fabricator I bet you can have a tube bumper with a spare tire carrier built to your specifications for less!

·
Premium Member
98 GM67 + 03 SG
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My only concern would be the tube bumper. While I want to eventually push to a larger tire, I'm not sure I want to go full on tube style metal bumper. The Forester will be an everyday vehicle with some extra capabilities to it, not a weekend trail warrior.

My neighbor had a number of trail ready Toyota trucks and now has a lifted Xterra that he's putting a tube frame bumper on. I guess if that looks okay, I might go that route. I'm really not sure.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
My only concern would be the tube bumper. While I want to eventually push to a larger tire, I'm not sure I want to go full on tube style metal bumper. The Forester will be an everyday vehicle with some extra capabilities to it, not a weekend trail warrior.

My neighbor had a number of trail ready Toyota trucks and now has a lifted Xterra that he's putting a tube frame bumper on. I guess if that looks okay, I might go that route. I'm really not sure.
I guess my thought is why spend that much money on a tire carrier? I do agree it is a neat setup though.

·
Premium Member
98 GM67 + 03 SG
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd eventually like to push a 70 series A/T tire in there, and if I remember correctly, that won't fit in the spare compartment in the trunk. Of course, if it does, then I don't need to worry about this rig. I'd like a full size spare without having it on the roof, and if I'm able to open up the spare compartment for UHF radio equipment, sub amp and other electronics, then it might be worth it.

Working in construction means some of the sites I visit are crap and I'd like the extra ground clearance the larger series tires (coupled with springs and spacers) would provide.

That and I thought others here might like the option of a rear mounted tire carrier instead of carrying it on the roof.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Might i suggest you go with a 65 size A/T? The difference between that and a 70 for ground clearance is minimal, plus the 65 will fit in the spare tire well if you deflate it. I know, that's the size I run! That would save you a TON of coin to spend on skidplates/lift/tires/whatever.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
That is a very nice piece.

joe r

·
Premium Member
98 GM67 + 03 SG
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might i suggest you go with a 65 size A/T? The difference between that and a 70 for ground clearance is minimal, plus the 65 will fit in the spare tire well if you deflate it. I know, that's the size I run! That would save you a TON of coin to spend on skidplates/lift/tires/whatever.
That works as well. I'm not ready to pull the trigger on this just yet, but prior planning prevents piss poor performance. I just want to make sure I have everything lined up correctly when it is time to go. Thanks for the information.

Everyone else, here is another option for a spare tire carrier! :biggrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts