Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2005 2.0XT Auto
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 53 plate Impreza ARB (20mm) and new Foz drop links and had them fitted by a local garage - didn't look at them, just been enjoying the handling.

Today saw my nice tyre & exhaust boys fitting my new H&S, :woohoo:

Whilst doing this they commented on the drop links. "Look a bit odd", they said. BTW, they look the same both ends.

Should I have fitted the C shape drop links instead? That's the only way I can see this fitting properly. I can't see them lasting five minutes at those angles. Any ideas? :shrug:

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
without going outside to look ...

I would say that is not right, is that ARB the same length as the one that came off?

The c shaped drop links are the ones you need, or put back what came off ...

you sure they are not front drop links?

·
Registered
2005 2.0XT Auto
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Front drop links on the SG5 have bolts that are 180deg opposite to each other. The drop links in the photo are identical to what came off the original 17mm bar. The only thing I didn't do was measure the width of the new bar... not sure if I'll be able to do it now it's on the car.

Maybe the 'Preza bar does need C shape drop links to fit the SG5?

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,583 Posts

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
I've just noticed you have a SG. I'll be quiet as I know nowt about the SG, but if you'd have bought an SF I could have told you :biggrin:

·
Registered
2005 2.0XT Auto
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I think you are right. Looks like I need an 05 or later bar... bugger.

More homework required.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
I am after one as well, if you find a spare one let me know dude.

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
I measured mine and found it to be "only" 18mm so I also am in the market for a 20mm, tempted by whiteline but £140 !!! Ebay it is then, but chaps lets just make sure we dont bid against ourselves...

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,926 Posts
According to Peaty on Scoobymods (and in various other threads on the BBS)
http://www.scoobymods.com/20mm-us-sti-rear-t2937.html
the STi bar to fit is part no 20451FE100 which in Europe appears to equate to a MY05/06 Sti

Earlier MY Sti where fitted with 20451FE000 (also 20mm but obviously not as wide)

·
Registered
2005 2.0XT Auto
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes Don, trawling through the Subaru parts catalog I came to that conclusion as well. I wonder if that part is cheaper in the UK than a Whiteline bar... probably not.

·
Registered
2005 2.0XT Auto
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to let you guys know, I ordered a brand new STI 20mm bar and rubber mounts from my local dealer (£97 all in) and just fitted them. I decided the Whiteline route was too much dosh and probably unnecessary.

The ARB went on a treat and the visual geometry looked good so out for a spin I went. The difference is just wonderful - hardly any body roll, it turns in much quicker and bearing in mind mine is an auto, it feels more like a rear wheel drive car.

I love it. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Just to let you guys know, I ordered a brand new STI 20mm bar and rubber mounts from my local dealer (£97 all in) and just fitted them. I decided the Whiteline route was too much dosh and probably unnecessary.

The ARB went on a treat and the visual geometry looked good so out for a spin I went. The difference is just wonderful - hardly any body roll, it turns in much quicker and bearing in mind mine is an auto, it feels more like a rear wheel drive car.

I love it. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
We need pics to see how the droplinks look like now.
Good move and price as the whiteline is [email protected] quality (the one I had fitted in my WRX started rusting after one winter!)
Tempted to do the same.

·
Registered
2005 2.0XT Auto
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fpan, I'll do the photo's and post them up tomorrow so you can have a look...

·
Registered
2005 2.0XT Auto
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some photo's of the new ARB...

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Looks perfect. The ARB mounts should last as well (hopefully) with this bar.

·
Registered
2005 2.0XT Auto
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, although if they ever DO break I'll just to do what Peaty did and replace them with the STI parts.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Peaty's thread is very informative as always.
One thing I did not understand though is how come the rear ARB mounts don't break when installing ISTI ones which look much shorter than the XT ones. Surely it must put a lot of stress on them since they are shorter.
ScoobyMods

·
Registered
2005 2.0XT Auto
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looking at it I think it may change the angles of the bar/droplinks slightly but I don't think it would change the forces acting on the bar. As he comments, it just makes it more likely to touch other parts, hence his trimming that pipe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts