Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My STi TMIC is tiny. Given we only have 91 octane here, it is holding me back from running higher boost target reliably.

I've been thinking of upgrading it, now may be a good time. Oakos seems to be out of the Perrin units like Cannonshooter got, but they do have the TurboXS units for a good price. Anything bad about these?

I also want to upgrade my before-the-turbo exhaust. I nice header/uppipe combo would be cool but they are pricey. I'm thinking of getting a GrimmSpeed crosspipe to compliment my ported STi manifolds.

Goals (with a tune tweak) would be a higher boost target and earlier spool, do you think it'd be a decent bang for the buck? Appreciate any input. I may add a 3-port boost solenoid to the list as well since it's cheap enough and requires a re-tune.

Stan

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,659 Posts
I am guessing you have an aftermarket bcs yeah..if so, what psi? STI up-pipe?

Get the GS x-pipe, u/p, and spearco or turbo xs tmic, and bcs of your tuners preference.

Just for reference, I am hitting 20.5 psi on an older sti tmic/91.

Prior to inlet, p&p mani-xpipe, injectors, bcs...I went from 280/305 18psi to 305/365 20.5 psi. Knock free, but AT is limiting factor.

I have my eye out for a larger tmic too....just for the sake of it, and stimulatng the economy.

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock boost controller and stock catless uppipe. Only non-stock parts under the hood are:

STi exhaust manifolds, ported. Stock STi untouched crosspipe.
VF43
STi TMIC
Cobb catted downpipe

Pretty simple setup.

Stan

·
Registered
04 SOLD!
943 Posts
The Perrin TMIC was recently discontinued, hence why no one has them in stock anymore..

I found a great price for TurboXS TMIC's, its about $165 cheaper than what Oakos is selling them for. :icon_wink:

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oakos has a Forester-specific for $639.00 shipped, you know a place that can beat that? Interested.

Stan

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Jim. Is the GrimmSpeed pipe a ported stock STi/WRX pipe? I would port mine myself, but don't have the tools to do it right.

Stan

·
Registered
04 SOLD!
943 Posts
Oakos has a Forester-specific for $639.00 shipped, you know a place that can beat that? Interested.

Stan
I didn't realized Oakos had that instant rebate thing, I was thinking $749 plus shipping...but the place I found has it for $625 shipped.

Spun Autosports

It says WRX only, but they offer the Forester specific one for same price, just have to ask for it.

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Huh.. it actually comes out to $604 shipped for me. says "WRX only" though, not sure how different it is. Thank you for the heads up.

For extra $35 I'd go with Oakos anyway, I've ordered from them before and they used to be a sponsor here. I'm loyal :icon_razz:

Still haven't talked to my tuner. Wish they would hurry up and build an E85 station here already so I could go that route for more power..

Stan

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,576 Posts
Dave has said in the past that the WRX one fit better any how. The only difference IIRC is the silicone and I believe the WRX one was just longer so you could cut if needed.

·
Registered
07 FXT
828 Posts
+1 for TXS

TXS TMIC may not be as pretty as some, but it works well and fits. No problem with the AC lines. Off-boost responsiveness greatly improved over the STI unit.

It does use the inlet elbows from the stock FXT intercooler, so hopefully you still have those.

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, I spoke to the tuner. They suggested that the best bang for the buck in my case would be to keep the STi TMIC and get a Tomei header/uppipe combo. They prefer the equal length one because it's quieter. My STi axleback is a pretty big restriction according to them, but that's the route I'm going to keep it quiet, so oh well. They said the stock boost solenoid is just fine.

Stan

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
293 Posts
yes it'll be quieter but thats because i takes away the subaru sound when you go to equaL length headers.... to me i'd rather have my subaru sound like a subaru...

plus unequal length headers help you spool a couple hundred RPM's faster..

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I lost most of the rumble going with the STi axleback anyway. I really miss the sound and the feel of a better flowing muffler, but for those times when things need to stay quiet, it's worth it. Honestly, I'd trade more power for the less rumble, anyway. I'm not too worried about spool -- it's only a VF43 and spools plenty quick.

Anyone here running one? It's purdy and comes with header wrap..

RallySportDirect.com - Tomei Subaru WRX/STi Equal length Manifold

Stan

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
293 Posts
I lost most of the rumble going with the STi axleback anyway. I really miss the sound and the feel of a better flowing muffler, but for those times when things need to stay quiet, it's worth it. Honestly, I'd trade more power for the less rumble, anyway. I'm not too worried about spool -- it's only a VF43 and spools plenty quick.

Anyone here running one? It's purdy and comes with header wrap..

RallySportDirect.com - Tomei Subaru WRX/STi Equal length Manifold

Stan
i have a catless 3 inch TBE setup only thing i have is a 22 inch resonator at the end and its nice and quiet! when i mash it it sounds like a jet but when i'm not in it it purs ver
y nicely :)

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
293 Posts
I have also "heard" ( i don't know how true it is) that with equal length headers you need a different oil pan.... which doesn't make to much sense to me but it might be worth doing some research.

·
Registered
07 FXT
828 Posts
those headers look good, but I'll play Devil's advocate for a second.

The free-er flowing TMIC will give a good dose of drivability, off-boost responsiveness is noticeably better. Peak HP numbers are probably not much different, but the turbo can achieve target boost easier and quicker, having less pressure drop. This translates to a free-reving motor that is more fun to drive, especially if you like rev-matching on downshifts. After removing the STI TMIC, it was evident where the AC lines were getting rubbed, if that ruptures then you have the cost of repairing that, which will be several hundred $ I'm sure. After selling the STI TMIC the TXS unit gets cheaper, may $300 or so net? You will want a tune with it.

So, I spoke to the tuner. They suggested that the best bang for the buck in my case would be to keep the STi TMIC and get a Tomei header/uppipe combo. They prefer the equal length one because it's quieter. My STi axleback is a pretty big restriction according to them, but that's the route I'm going to keep it quiet, so oh well. They said the stock boost solenoid is just fine.

Stan

1 - 20 of 31 Posts