Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Thinking of selling/trading my WRX for a 06 Forester XT

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  derscott 
#1 ·
Hi guys - Although not new to the Subaru family, I'm new to this forum.

For the past few weeks I’ve been thinking of either selling or trading in my 03 WRX Wagon for a new Forester XT. Why? Well I’m a avid MTBer and do a lot of road trips – the WRX is great, but I wouldn’t mind a tad more cargo space. I also love the look for the new Forester.

Few questions:
1 – Anyone here went from a WRX Wagon to a Forester? No regrets?
2- Can you get the Forester to handle just like the WRX?
3 – I have a factory Subaru hitch on my Wagon, will it fit on the Forester?
4 – will my Rota SDR 17” wheels fit the Forester?
5 – Will my rear Adj Cusco sway bar and Kartboy Solid end links work on the Forester?

thanks in advance!
- Luc

here are pics of my current ride...

See less See more
#3 ·
You're not welcome here!!! Go back to Pinkbike!!!

Hey, Luc, it's James. Good to see you here!

I don't know if I mentioned this to you before, but I have a '05 Forester XT 5spd. It's bone stock right now, and unfortunately, is likely to stay that way for some time. The power is fantastic, but the stock handling leaves much to be desired. Lots of people on this board have had very good success on extracting some decent handling performance out of the chassis, but it'll take a little bit of work (but not too much, from what I gather). There are tons of aftermarket possibilities, particularly since so many of the WRX and WRX STi parts bolt right on.

#4 ·
Welcome, I recognize you from i-club! Lots of people here who have made the switch from the WRX to the XT.

The Rota SDR's will fit, by the way (with room for a BBK too)... I have them on my XT as well. Sway bar and end links will not transfer from the WRX to the XT. You'll need the STi units for that.

#5 ·
angryasian said:
Hey, Luc, it's James. Good to see you here!

I don't know if I mentioned this to you before, but I have a '05 Forester XT 5spd. It's bone stock right now, and unfortunately, is likely to stay that way for some time. The power is fantastic, but the stock handling leaves much to be desired. Lots of people on this board have had very good success on extracting some decent handling performance out of the chassis, but it'll take a little bit of work (but not too much, from what I gather). There are tons of aftermarket possibilities, particularly since so many of the WRX and WRX STi parts bolt right on.
heya James - long time no speak!!

Yeah ever since you told me bout your Forester last year, I've been checking them out. I'm in love with the 06 XT in SGM. I was also thinking of the outback, but the Forester is more appealing to me.

Handling is really important to me - even more important than power. A few times I've tried other cars/trucks and I was like "where is my WRX". I just love the way mine handles. That is why the only mods I’ve done to my car are handling ones – no power mods.

I'm in no hurry tho...the WRX is still going strong. But if I can get a good price on a new Forester, I wouldn't mind making the switch.

#6 ·
Come see me at Marin Subaru. I'll be happy to demonstrate, and if you give me a days' notice, I MIGHT be able to demonstrate firsthand...during lunch or something.

I work in the parts dept. Come on by, and I'll show you what you need. BTW, the SDR's are going right on, the sway bar might not, but have that thrown into the package (due bill) if you're interested.

#7 ·
Roo said:
Come see me at Marin Subaru. I'll be happy to demonstrate, and if you give me a days' notice, I MIGHT be able to demonstrate firsthand...during lunch or something.

I work in the parts dept. Come on by, and I'll show you what you need. BTW, the SDR's are going right on, the sway bar might not, but have that thrown into the package (due bill) if you're interested.
Demonstrate first hand? you mean the handling?

And what do you mean by have that thrown into the due bill? you mean if I end up trading it in instead of selling her?

Cheers!

#14 ·
"3 - I have a factory Subaru hitch on my Wagon, will it fit on the Forester?"

Nope, sorry you'll have to buy a forester specific hitch. I have a WRX hitch sitting in my garage at the moment, so I wish I could say otherwise.

cheers,
Scott

PS: I went from WRX sedan to FXT, the handling is *definitely* softer and the center of gravity is a bit higher. Nothing a few aftermarket parts can't fix though...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.