Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I’ve been in the market for a new (to me) car and stumbled upon a 2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Manual with 106-107k miles. It’s listed for $5,500 and the owner says that he’s already replaced the water pump, timing belt, and the head gaskets which covers most of the problem that I’ve seen come up with this car at around this mileage.
The car looks good with no serious problems but I figured you all could help me if this deal sounds bad, if there are any other notable problems with this Forester, or what other maintenance I would need to do for this car if I bought it.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5 speed manual
17 Posts
Those items would be my checklist, just see when they were done (some people do them as early as 60k miles. Rust is always a concern, where did the car live most of its life? Also, see why he replaced the head gasket, was in prevention or was there a problem? One thing to wrap your head around is that the car is almost 10 years old, so a lot of the rubber parts will start to break down (endlinks, axle boots, bushings, etc) so be prepard for some squeaks and squeals - although these typically aren't massive costs.

Other than that, I love the look of the 09-13s. Like everybody else, wished they offered the turbo in a manual! Good luck!

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5 Touring CVT
185 Posts
We live in western NY where the winters are severe, and my wife's 2006 Forester has definitely shown corrosion issues -- but I have noticed that the 2009+ Foresters in this area look quite good, and I would buy one when her's needs replacement. The trinity of head gaskets, timing belt and water pump are indeed the major items -- but I would want to know about any oil consumption also.

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5 Touring CVT
185 Posts
We live in western NY where the winters are severe, and my wife's 2006 Forester has definitely shown corrosion issues -- but I have noticed that the 2009+ Foresters in this area look quite good, and I would buy one when her's needs replacement. The trinity of head gaskets, timing belt and water pump are indeed the major items -- but I would want to know about any oil consumption also.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
772 Posts
Well if you could get him to lower the price a bit more, it would be money in your pocket. Sounds good to me, but unless you know how to inspect a vehicle, your best move is to pay to have it inspected by a mechanic of your choice, and use that to guide you and to iron out the final sale price. To the best of my knowledge that does not have the engine with the oil consumption issue, but no matter the car its a good practice to check your oil and fluid levels regularly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input everyone! I’m in Middle Tennessee so rust isn’t really too much of an issue. I’m gonna go check it out this weekend and take it by mechanic to make sure everything checks out and I’ll let you know if I end up purchasing it!

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,281 Posts
Make sure that the seller can document all the work he/she said was done. When the timing belt was done were the tensioner and idlers also replaced?

Check the control arm bushings for cracks. I drove a 2010 2.5X for almost 200,000 miles and found it to be very reliable but it needed lower control arm bushings twice.

Best thing to do is have a mechanic of your choice perform a pre-purchase inspection. Might cost you $50-75 but is money well spent.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
772 Posts
Between now and then, try to find another one or two to test drive to get a feel for the car, and ideally a basis for comparison. In your negotiation also remember that the base manual version was the lowest priced and that in the used market you can often get a high-end trim for similar prices. Having a mechanic inspect is smart and allows you to go after the best private sale deals. Be nice in person and curious about the car, but keep your emotions in check. Ask the person what else might require attention in the next year or so in their opinion and afterward, politely ask what the lowest price is they might be able to accept and that you would appreciate any help on this they could give you. Then shut up and let them talk, while you pay attention. It will probably save you hundreds and possibly a thousand or more.
In a private sale, you want a car, and the person selling it has been offered far less for it as a trade-in. Selling one is not the easiest, it can be a pain and take time. Moreover, this is probably the hardest time of year to sell a car privately, and you would be surprised at some of the characters and crazy low ball offers they usually have to put up with. Good luck. I hope you get a great one!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,145 Posts
2010 is the last year for the EJ engine. Head gaskets are a posibility. The timing belt, idlers, tensioner, and Water pump need replaced at 107K. were the idlers replaced?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts