Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tacoma DCSB Auto
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking about going to a Outback

Currently have a 05 FXT 70k miles, 5speed. Looking into a Tribeca, i get tired of being only person that can drive my car on long trips.
Ive got some mods laying around for the FXT that havent been installed.

What do yall think?
Whats my FXT worth?
How does it compare FXT vs. Tribeca?

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,760 Posts
Currently have a 05 FXT 70k miles, 5speed. Looking into a Tribeca, i get tired of being only person that can drive my car on long trips.
Ive got some mods laying around for the FXT that havent been installed.

What do yall think?
Whats my FXT worth?
How does it compare FXT vs. Tribeca?

1. Fail :raspberry: Going from funmobile to snoremobile. Why can't anyone else drive the XT ? Unless its heavily modifed its not terribly different.

2. 13-15k , my 05XT w 15k miles was $20k 2 years ago this month

3. Tribecca is nice but boring to me. Its a dressed up Legacy wagon , I'd just buy the Legacy wagon myself. I was dissapointed when I first sat in one expected Minvan room, its barely any bigger than a Legacy.

You have a VF48 lying around by chance ?

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,296 Posts
What makes you think switching to an AT will make them want to drive on long trips? :p

I know for a fact that my girl still doesn't. Between our two cars, we have about 3 years/50k miles and I've driven about 99% of that time.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im the only one that can drive manual trans now. I just get tired of bein in car full of people, and being the only one that car drive. My car is most comfortable, and AWD for the drives up north, thats how i always get stuck driving. Sad thing is ive got 9k saved for my TLC project that im thinkin about using. And about sellin all the mods i cant use if i do go Tribeca.

Too bad they dont offer the Legi Wagon thats already a given for me.....

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,760 Posts
Well if you have to go auto, then how about a used Legacy GT Wagon ? Just buy the newest, nicest one you can find. 10,000,000 nicer than any Tribecca. You may even be able to transfer over some of your mods.

265 WRX VF52 is a direct bolt on BTW. That plus DP will net you 300/300+ hp/tq. A nicely done GT Wagon is pimp and then autobox so others can drive.

Really , go sit in a Tri then Leg wagon and see how much a space difference there really is.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,824 Posts
Might not matter, but do you think the Tribeca will be around that much longer?
After seeing the lowered Tribeca recently in Subtle's post, I wonder if it's too late.
It got bashed for the initial styling and safe restyle, and sales have pretty much tanked for the model.

Peaty frequents the Tribeca site, maybe he has an opinion on more modded Tribecas over there. Or are you looking at doing minimal mods,...you know you're hooked.

I'd think there would be plenty of the last generation Legacy wagons around to look into.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yea its bascially the Trans is the selling point for me, but i love the turbo sound.......
An Outback XT would be pimp but are hard to find now a days

Didnt they stop makin the Legi Wagon GT in 2007?

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,071 Posts
Well, I may be the only person on the site to have both a Tribeca and a F-XT. I know the Tribeca is very polarizing. We have almost 60K on our Tribeca now. I asked my wife if she wanted to trade for something else but she likes her B9 too much.

We've had two Outback wagons and the Tribeca has quite a bit more room. Really nice on long trips. When we went to MI not too long ago, it was the first time we didn't have to put anything on the roof like we did with our OB's. Is it as fun to drive as my F-XT no of course not, but it's a lot nicer vehicle than a lot of people give it credit for. Especially when they have not really lived with one :) We have the 7 seat Limited. The back seats are really only good in a pinch but do come in handy. I'm not very big so I can fit back there. The biggest negative is the MPG's around town. We have the 06' and I know they did some improvements to the motor which should help.

If you want PM me or better yet if you feel like discussing over the phone just give me a call. That may be best, I can send you my cell number if you like.

Also poke around here:

http://www.sb9t.com/forums/index.php?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tkx Peaty

im gona try and sit in a Legi wagon and Tirbeca this week, they have some at the local dealer.

Yea its gota be an Auto this time around, but a turbo would make it even sweeter

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Why tribeca over 3.6R (or older h6) or XT outback or auto fxt?

The tribeca is basically a minivan. Not fast, not fun in anyway, but its comfy.

If you want something in the same vein thats getting pretty cheap lately, check out the cadillax SRX with the V8 (its fun, and has a similarly huge sunroof as the forester), the v6 AWD model is about the same price as a tribeca (our 2nd one was around 35k).

·
Registered
2010 Forester M
97 Posts
I just think it is a shame you feel you have to buy a new car because your friends have cheap cars and dont know how to drive stick. I hope they are good friends.

·
Registered
2010 Forester M
97 Posts
i don't know about you but most of the cheap cars i see are stick because the AT costs more to produce! :lol:

i think they just dont want to drive!
actually he stated that his friends could not drive stick and that they took his forester because it was the most comfortable.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
Are you looking new or used?

If you are looking new, and don't need 7 passenger, get an Outback 3.6R. Way better interior layout (more people room in some dimensions), same motor, lighter car, way more fun to drive.

If you are looking pre-owned, get a Certified 2008 or 2009, they can be had mad cheap compared to a '10. The 06's and 07's with the older motor, meh.

Truth be told, the Tribeca, when looking at brand new vehicles, is a nice car, but not the nicest in it's price range and size. There are better choices out there. In Certified Pre-Owned though, it's a good value.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well its not just friends, but when we go to see family out of town, and its a 12+hr drive, i want either mom, bro or dad driving. So its not just friends, its close family too....

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
For its class, the Tribeca is competitive in terms of pricing, and it's very compelling, actually, in terms of its performance.

Stepping up from anything else in the Subaru lineup, exclusive of the '10 Outbacks ('10 Legacy, for that matter), there's quite a bit of extra interior refinement, in terms of feel.

The problems?

Against the '10 Outback, the Tribeca's interior starts to look dated, and aside from the available 3rd row in the Tribeca, the '10 Outback is virtually just as roomy.

Just about everyone in our extended families knows about my dedication to Subarus.

Based on this alone, my sister-in-law, who recently shopped this vehicle segment, gave the Tribeca a look-see.

She chose the CX-9 instead.

It wasn't because she didn't like the way the Tribeca drove. It wasn't because the Tribeca lacked features/content or that it wasn't priced right. It was simply because the CX-9 provided a more roomy interior layout with easier access to the 3rd row, which, when it comes to people who consider 7-passenger SUVs for their people-transporting capabilities, is undeniably an important factor.

Like I said on the LegacyGT.com thread which intensely debated why the Tribeca is just flailing in the wind now, would I look at the Tribeca, if I were in the market for a 7-passenger SUV? I certainly would, and I would look at it pretty darned seriously, given its class-performance and pricing.

But would I end up buying one?

Even for as devoted of a Subaru lover, I honestly don't know.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.