Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Forester S/tb Auto
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on a higher KM ( Not miles, this ad is Canadian ). Its got 250,000kms and a recent mechanical inspection along with receipts of work done. I work as a compressor mechanic so I am okay with fixing things myself, I just want that to be known. Most things for repairs I could tackle at my shop. As I dont know Subarus that much I am looking for advice.

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classi...Warranty-Included---AWD---BC-VEHICLE_32690445

He does not know if the head gasket has been done, I will be bringing a chemical test to check the coolant. Looks like it has the potential to be a good deal. Being higher KMS what are some key things I should be looking for besides timing belt and headgasket?

Cheers Ryan

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
Whilst the coolant test is an indicator of hydrocarbons being where they shouldn't, it's not totally reliable. Bear that in mind.

If you can, do a cylinder compression instead. That will tell you about as much as any test can regarding how well the bores are holding their pressure and thereby point to any potential HG issues.

Get underneath the car and visually inspect head gaskets, particularly driver's side.

While you're under there, check condition of CV boots and other perishable covers. Have a look at front & rear diff areas and transmission for any unwanted signs. Also look at other obvious things like exhaust condition.

Early Foresters such as the one you're looking at had intermittent wheel bearing issues so pay attention to their condition.

Is this car to keep your JDM Forester company?!

·
Registered
1997 Forester S/tb Auto
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m actually going to sell the JDM one for a decent profit. Only owned it for two weeks but cash is cash! I like it, the power is nice but my intent was to buy a road trip vehicle that can handle some bumpy roads and get places where my 2013 Civic Si can’t. The JDM one is lowered, summer tires etc etc...

Thanks for the tips! I’ll for sure look for those things and if a compression test has been done I will get that done too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts