Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
always wanted a Subaru, So i bought a 2010 Forester X premium owned by a little old lady who brought it back to the dealer every 3000 Miles religiously! Garage kept "Cream Puff!" Super clean inside and out. I'm a off-grid dry camper 46 years old been doing it long time. Subaru has got to be the worst design vehicle I've ever owned for outdoor life and particularly camping! #1 where the windshield meets the hood the Shroud area... when you park under the trees in the fall time it allows all the debris full leaves to get into the engine compartment!? What's that? In order for the windows to go up or down you have to have the key turn fully forward so you have to put that much drain on your battery let's not talk about the12volt Outlets in the storage area doesn't stay hot unless the keys turned forward? Subaru designing where were you on that one? The back seat folds down nice and flat only one problem I'm 5 foot 9 you can't sit straight up unless your head is sideways not enough Headroom!! By the way I previously owned a Kia Rondo by far superior over the Subaru with two wheel drive! The Foresters thin tinny I originally bought it thinking I was going for an overlanding type of plan... "Mind you I understand overlanding and Subaru has its limitations I wasn't trying to do anything crazy." Halfway up my interior it goes from black on the bottom cream color Almost White on the upper half and headliner. It seems like I look at that vehicle wrong and it gets dirty! It's "2010 was that a 4-speed transmission?" Is Subaru owned by BP? On top of that Subaru comes with a very short warranty... and I read nightmares people purchasing new off the lot having leaky valve covers and head gaskets at 45000 miles I read the tolerance for oil consumption was something like "1 quart in 5,000 miles" so I called the dealer asked if that was accurate, He said "yes and what the tolerance is for the new Subarus 2500 miles per quart! So I'm doing the last few touches before selling and buying a "Toyota 4Runner"... you could buy a Prius and make it an overlanding vehicle that's my question with Subaru why would you do that? So if you're looking to get the kids to school getting 3 in of snow tonight before or a glorified grocery getter with a good safety rating the Forester is your vehicle! Anything more than that you're in the wrong Market!!
"This is my opinion Subaru has a loyal following just like Volkswagens and I believe largely that's what keeps them alive."

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
321 Posts
In order for the windows to go up or down you have to have the key turn fully forward so you have to put that much drain on your battery
Every car I have had with power windows needed the key on "Run" for them to operate. If they would function without the key, it would make it a lot easier for thieves to just push a rod through the door seal and push the window down button.

Didn't you pay attention to a lot of the other stuff when you test drove/looked over the car? You have been doing this for a long time, so some of that should have been pretty obvious.

What kind of warranty did you expect on a 2010 car?

I bought my 2010 Impreza Outback Sport used/abused/neglected. It had it's issues, but oil consumption and leaking gaskets was not one of them.

I read nightmares people purchasing new off the lot having leaky valve covers and head gaskets at 45000 miles I read the tolerance for oil consumption was something like "1 quart in 5,000 miles"
You "read" about those things, but are you actually experiencing them? Or are you just regurgitating what you read?

Subaru has not always been my choice of cars, but given the abuse the Impreza had before I bought it, and how much it went beyond what most other cars would have in its condition, it impressed me enough to buy another.

It proved more capable than my Jeep XJ in a lot of ways. The Jeep only was better in extreme conditions that the Impreza obviously was not designed for. Anything less and the Subaru pulled ahead. Better grip, better stability, better fuel mileage.

And the Impreza doesn't even have near the ground clearance a Forester has.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Premium
110 Posts
In 2014, the pine needles and other debris goes into a trough and 50/50 ends up clogging the drivers side drain or going into the interior cabin filter. Getting better each iteration! Just wait till you find out what happens to the XT line in 2019!

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
60 Posts
It sounds like your main complaint is that the Forester is not a very good motorhome. Shocker!

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,610 Posts
Sorry bud but when you are a huge KIA Rondo fan and think that is the apex of vehicles you have pretty much lost all credibility in my eyes
I think the market has spoken
Rondo sales have done nothing but drop in Canada where it remained on offer. In the US it was discontinued after 2011 Forester sales have more than double since then and they were already 2 and a half times more popular than the Rondo in 2011. It sounds like your ultimate vehicle would most likely be a cube van.

·
Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
297 Posts
What is it with Kia trolls around here?

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
64 Posts
I've had my 2003 Forester XS since brand new spring in 2002 and once I got decent tires have really liked it (despite things like bad door seals). Now my daughter drives, it, and despite 2 'attempts' at wrecking it the car, knock on wood, is fine. I'm thinking about a used car for my early 20's son, who has done minimal driving but needs to drive to work (about 15 minutes from our house on Long Island). I want a car that's safe, good on snow and ice, and not overpowered. Price is, of course, a big issue. Pretty much needs to be used, but decent. I do have a very good mechanic. I'm wondering what people here think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts