Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm thinking about buying an 01 forester with 60k miles. Anything I should know/look for when checking the vehicle out? I am coming from an 01 Chevy Blazer 2WD. What can I expect? Also are there any other vehicles I should look at before going with the Forester. I really want to stay under 6k used if possible. I want relatively low miles on the vehicle, good gas mileage, lots of cargo space, and all wheel drive.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,151 Posts
If the Head gasket has not been done (assuming its not a Turbo)...it will need to be done. Its a almost a given. If the engine is pulled..timing belt, water pump, idlers, etc should be replaced.

Welcome from Pa.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If the Head gasket has not been done (assuming its not a Turbo)...it will need to be done. Its a almost a given. If the engine is pulled..timing belt, water pump, idlers, etc should be replaced.

Welcome from Pa.
yeah, I've heard a lot of people have head gasket problems, but around what mileage can I expect to have problems? Can it happen as early as 60k? What can I look for when test driving the vehicle?

also would it be better to go with an 03 with 85k miles instead?

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
I would have a mechanic look over the vehicle, inspect the head/block mating from below, looking for seepage. If it mechanically is in good condition, I would just go ahead and buy it. Then maintain the normal service schedule. I would not worry about head gaskets unless they begin to fail.

There are many many 1999-2002 Subaru's, all models with the SOHC engine, out there running just fine for a long long time.

Get as much information as you can, then make your decision.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
Head gasket education here: Head Gasket Problems - Subaru 2.5 liter engine - Phase 1 and 2
Congrats on getting out of the Blazer...one of the worst SUV designs of most I get to drive. The Subaru will do most everything that the Blazer can do, but without all the negatives of being based on a truck. Expect fuel mileage in the low to mid 20s.
I would be more concerned with finding one well maintained (and possibly with HG replacement receipts) than obsessing about mileage. These vehicles are good for 200,000+ with little drama if moderately maintained. Don't buy one with ANY rust. Timing belt every 90k or risk bent valves. Listen for noisy/growling wheel bearings. Aside from that, there isn't much serious to worry about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts