Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2007 WRB WRX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this board.

I did some looking but couldn't find a similar thread. How many people here have or had a WRX before getting their XTs? I'm thinking of doing so myself (07 WRX to 05 XT) and would like to hear how they compare in the minds of people who have had both.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,956 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Good luck on your Forester search. The newer Foresters are larger, but MODding parts are easier to find for the earlier models. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2007 WRB WRX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome

While I am looking at a Forester for the extra space, my car is the sedan version, the part I'm looking for opinion on is how the performance compares. I know the suspension, weight and dimensional differences will affect handling and I'm curious if anybody can chime in about that.

It is most definitely the 04 and 05 XT I'm looking for also. The refreshed front end on the 06+ doesn't agree with me and the New models are too close to SUV proportions for my taste.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Performance is quite good, especially since the gearing is lower in the Forester than in the WRX. With a better turbo, it'll feel like an STi power-wise. Handling will be alot worse than the WRX in stock form, but with Impreza suspension bits it'll be pretty close to that of an STi, minus the drivetrain. Steering will suck until it's addressed. Seats and agronomic are different, you won't feel as "supported" by the seats as in an Impreza, but again, pieces can be swapped. Weight is close to the STi, a bit lighter actually.

Nice thing is, you won't attract much attention in a Forester, yet you'll be pretty close to the STi performance-wise. Alot of stuff can fit in the back with the rear seats down.

Stan

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
While I am looking at a Forester for the extra space, my car is the sedan version, the part I'm looking for opinion on is how the performance compares. I know the suspension, weight and dimensional differences will affect handling and I'm curious if anybody can chime in about that.

It is most definitely the 04 and 05 XT I'm looking for also. The refreshed front end on the 06+ doesn't agree with me and the New models are too close to SUV proportions for my taste.
Have you actually driven an 09+ yet? I haven't.

I was really disgusted when the new ones 09+ came out and I don't care for the front end of 06-08s too. The 09+ look too generically styled, more like a Toyota Highlander or Mitsubishi Outlander or something. :icon_mad:

I went from '00 MT 5 spd L to '04 MT 5 spd X recently. I got a darker green exterior and beige interior like I wanted and the car had relatively low miles. I started looking harder to make this switch when I realized that beige was removed as an interior option in the newer ones. (I hate gray and think it is depressing). The '06+ greens are lighter than I prefer as well (would probably go blue instead if I had to get a newer one). I like that the base X does not have dual cams or variable valve timing because I work on my cars myself, plan on keeping it awhile and wanted to keep it simpler. Also, I prefer the "manual" controls vs automatic climate control.

Before I got my '04 X I did test drive an '04 XT and while the power is nice, I just didn't like the overall suspension feel compared to non-turbo. It felt noticeably heavier in the front end and maybe a little unbalanced. "X" Stock suspension seems a little soft at first on highways but still firms up good off-road. The "XT" seemed too firm on the highway, but maybe you like that if you really want a sportscar but have to settle for a wagon?! That particular XT had a little of the rear differential whine that some have complained about, but I don't think it was about to break down or anything. The gas mileage is probably a few mpg better on the X than the XT. Can't help you to compare with the sedan version, though.

I do pull a 2000 lb pop-up with my family of 5 a few times a season. It has enough power for me even without the turbo. I wind it out a little more than normal, but not too bad. In many cases I find I'm still passing plenty of people. :icon_eek: Of course it takes a little longer to regain speed so I pass left-laners on the right at times (and try to see their looks when I drive by :biggrin: ). I did add electric brakes to the popup. It stops better than a Suburban before I put the extra brakes on the popup. It doesn't seem much more strained than the Suburban did taking off.

Of course the bottom line is the XT will smoke cars that the X can't touch.

·
Registered
2007 WRB WRX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steering will suck until it's addressed. Seats and agronomic are different, you won't feel as "supported" by the seats as in an Impreza, but again, pieces can be swapped.

Nice thing is, you won't attract much attention in a Forester, yet you'll be pretty close to the STi performance-wise. Alot of stuff can fit in the back with the rear seats down.

Stan
What modifications are you talking about when it comes to the steering? Do the STi front control arms that add extra caster fit?

And what about the seats? I read some last night that some have difficulty getting swapped seats to work properly because of the various airbags. I personally rather like the seats in my TR, but having a heater in them would be nice. I'm not so sure I would be able to accept leather seats even if they were heated.

And lastly, I like the thought of being a little less conspicuous. I get stared-down by passing patrol cars, people attempt to street race me, and my car has been vandalized twice by cowards throwing things at it in the two and a half years I've owned it.

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Not sure about control arms, haven't heard of people doing that. '04 STi steering rack fits and feels very nice -- I've driven other Foresters with one. On mine, I have the stock rack with Whiteline bushings and a heavier front sway (rear too), along with upgraded struts and STi springs -- it steers with alot more confidence than when it was stock. I have a strut bar too, not sure how much that helps though.

With the seats, I think the problem may be with the passenger airbag sensors, but that's a guess. Lots of people run TR or STi seats in their Foresters and love it. I've driven a stock STi quite a bit and do like the seats. I have the stock leather seats (mine's a Limited) and they work pretty well for me -- easy to clean up after the dog gets them dirty and wet, and girls like the heater option -- comes in handy often, it gets cold here.

Stan

·
Registered
2007 WRB WRX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Have you actually driven an 09+ yet? I haven't.

I prefer the "manual" controls vs automatic climate control.

Before I got my '04 X I did test drive an '04 XT and while the power is nice, I just didn't like the overall suspension feel compared to non-turbo. It felt noticeably heavier in the front end and maybe a little unbalanced. "X" Stock suspension seems a little soft at first on highways but still firms up good off-road. The "XT" seemed too firm on the highway, but maybe you like that if you really want a sportscar but have to settle for a wagon?! That particular XT had a little of the rear differential whine that some have complained about, but I don't think it was about to break down or anything. The gas mileage is probably a few mpg better on the X than the XT. Can't help you to compare with the sedan version, though.
No, I haven't driven an 09+

I've never had a car with automatic climate control either. I can stand a pretty wide range of temps in the car, my girlfriend however cannot.:confused:

The turbo, inter-cooler, etc. should add a bit more weight to the front end but I would say less than 125 lbs. I can handle a slightly stiff ride ( I swapped STi springs into the WRX because it was too soft and wallow-y) and most inexpensive performance oriented cars tend to be setup to understeer to keep the drivers from destroying cars.

Perhaps a test drive is in order...

·
Registered
2007 WRB WRX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, my mom's old Outback had the heated seats, with the temp here averaging a high of 30 degrees or less for months at a time you have to do everything you can to keep warm.

:biggrin:I like how fast the heater warms up on turbo cars.

·
Registered
2010 forester 2.5x prem.
116 Posts
Based on the numbers alone the wrx runs circles around the forester xt. Stock numbers indicate 0-60 on wrx approx 5 sec give or take a couple of tenths. The Forester on the other hand is around 7 sec give or take a couple tenths. Big difference in performance and that not taking the skid pad into the equation either. These two are not comparable in the performance department.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,105 Posts
Based on the numbers alone the wrx runs circles around the forester xt. Stock numbers indicate 0-60 on wrx approx 5 sec give or take a couple of tenths. The Forester on the other hand is around 7 sec give or take a couple tenths. Big difference in performance and that not taking the skid pad into the equation either. These two are not comparable in the performance department.
He's looking for an 04-05... 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, 1/4 mile in the low 13's for a stock manual. Handling is easily improved with STI goodies. Remember, this was before the FXT became a me-too cute ute.

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
These two are not comparable in the performance department.
Aaahh.. maybe in stock form, but suspension is easily upgraded with Impreza pieces. Power-wise, they are damn close with the 2.0 WRX being weaker, but the 2.5 WRX putting down a bit more power in stock form. FXTs shorter gearing makes it quicker on the street.

Ever seen a lightly modded Forester run circles around WRXs and RSs on the track? I have.

Stan

·
Registered
2007 WRB WRX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Aaahh.. maybe in stock form, but suspension is easily upgraded with Impreza pieces. Power-wise, they are damn close with the 2.0 WRX being weaker, but the 2.5 WRX putting down a bit more power in stock form. FXTs shorter gearing makes it quicker on the street.

Ever seen a lightly modded Forester run circles around WRXs and RSs on the track? I have.

Stan
Yeah, I've had modded early model FXTs that I could reel in through the corners but they would just walk me down the straights.

I went for handling first with my mods.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts