Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On last night's new episode of Mythbusters they tested the myth that a car and burst into flames if it drives off a cliff. To do this, they got cars that they... you guessed it, drove off a cliff.

The way they did it was get a fork lift to pick up the car from the side, get in the car and get it's wheels going. Get out of the car and have the fork lift driver lower the car. It proceeded to run over the forks and off the cliff.

Well, one of the cars they used was an older Subaru Outback (5-speed). They lifted it with the fork lift, Jaime got in and put it in gear, floored it, put a piece of wood on the gas and when the camera showed the outside of the car, all 4 wheels were spinning before they let it down. Awesome :biggrin:

HERE is a link to the video. It's the "If at first your don't Explode" video

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll spoil it... it doesn't explode. Watch the "Christmas Present of Death" to see something that comes close :)

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
lol dang did they strap plastic explosives to the nose?

funny.. that something people do in Battlefield 2 (the game). C4 on the nose of the vehicles and RAMMING SPEEEED!!

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
I watched that last night, was surprised at seeing the roof collapse on that Outback, guess after a drop like that, it would be a lot to expect it to hold up ...... 5 speed ..... but was also impressed Jamie took the time to point out the placement of the tank in the Subaru being in the safest place possible, as well as all the plastic shielding around it.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
neoshi said:
lol dang did they strap plastic explosives to the nose?
Not quite. Before going all-out, they attempted to do their best at recreating an exploding car by taking a gas tank, strapping it to the front of the car, filling it with gas and finally driving it off the cliff... To ensure that after it leaked gas it would ignite, they strapped about 10 boxes of strike-anywhere matches to the gas tank. In the end, it didn't give them what they wanted and they put 4 2-gallon milk containers in a car wrapped with detonation chord with a remote trigger. That gave them the special effect they were looking for.

I watched that last night, was surprised at seeing the roof collapse on that Outback, guess after a drop like that, it would be a lot to expect it to hold up ...... 5 speed ..... but was also impressed Jamie took the time to point out the placement of the tank in the Subaru being in the safest place possible, as well as all the plastic shielding around it.
I wasn't surprised the top crushed. It's not like it just rolled over- it fell quite some distance and landed on it's top, a few times if memory serves :)

But yes, I did like that Jaime showed that the gas tank is very secure on the Subaru. :woohoo:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts