Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Current photo as of April 12th 2013

I'll start off by saying that I own an assortment of vehicles and my wife married into this obsession.

She wanted a car of her own and she has always loved the Forester XT, 2003-2005 models. Her criteria was simple, good condition, preferably automatic, turbo, and preferably stock. Of course, we all knew it wouldn't stay stock for long.

As luck would have it, we stumbled upon our black, 2004 XT 4EAT at a local Subaru Dealer. It was a mess though, with dog hair everywhere, the required Obama Biden sticker and a Human Rights campaign sticker. It also had dings all over and 100,000 miles. The bonus was that it ran AWESOME and had all required maintenance performed by Nate Wade Subaru from day 1.

We walked way, drove some others and eventually came back, securing a good price and some free paint work from their body shop along with an excellent detail job that changed the car.

Unfortunately, I almost took it back as it would not make over 4-5 PSI. I knew this was wrong so I consulted these forums and came to the conclusion that I was not 1. getting boost spikes or bad noises from the turbo 2. getting a CEL and 3. having a boost leak. I determined that the lot tech must have filled the car with 87 grade fuel for our "complimentary tank". My wife was very worried, but I convinced her that we would fill the tank with premium, reset the ECU and see what happened. Sure enough, since premium, the car has consistently made full boost and has good power.

Here is a horrible photo of it a few days after purchase.

Well, Melissa (the wife) wanted a slammed Forester as we already have a Rock Crawler, a lifted Land Cruiser and an F-250 Power Stroke. So, I ordered up some H and R OE drop springs and some Excel-G struts. Here we are mid install

And suspension installed sans the 1/2 inch saggy butt spacers I have installed.

Well, compared to my other car (G8 GXP), the Fozzy was just too slow for my taste. To combat that until I can get an 18G, some injectors and an STI inter cooler, I drove down to RallySportDirect and picked up the following.

Accessport
Cobb 3 inch catted DP
Greddy up pipe
Drop in panel filter
Samco pressure hoses for a WRX (skipped the relief valve)

Of course, I got all new gaskets and new spring nuts and bolts.

The up pipe was an absolute PAIN IN MY *** to install and everything else was cake.

Everything installed

Now, the car makes 12.5 PSI at altitude and runs great, turbo is a bit loud but the wife loves it.

Next up are some 17's or 18's, Amber fog covers, rear spoiler, front mesh grill mod, tint, stereo etc.

All before we get the actual plates.

Hope everyone enjoyed, Dan

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I own eight other vehicles, one of which has 420HP and this has become my favorite ride. Nothing beats a functional wagon with a turbo and AWD.

I actually look forward to wrenching on it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the grandpa truck. It has a 90 gallon backup transfer tank and runs on B20 (currently B50 before winter) biodiesel.

And what the heck, here is a bumper I just welded up (from a kit) on my mothers (they live in Moab Utah) FZJ80 Land Cruiser.

I own a mig (Miller 251) Plasma air over hydraulic tube bender, press etc. etc. etc. and I prefer to do all of my own fab work and repairs/ maintenance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
More updates! Got some 18's, an exhaust system and some polish on the paint.

Getting tint on the windows today and UPS will be dropping off a 2011 STI top mount!

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts