Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2005 X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Washed and waxed the car today, so I figured I'd snap some pics while the Foz was clean. We needed something a little bigger and more practical after our son was born, so we scooped this up. This makes our 4th Subaru (I started with a '04 STi, then a '04 WRX wagon, and now I currently own a '05 Forester too.) So far we love the practicality and room of the new Forester. It's got some nice power to it, and rides pretty nicely.

Since we bought it 2 months ago, we've added the front lip kit and the usual interior bits....all weather mats, cargo tray, tonneau cover etc. I also had all our old stereo components from our last car installed in the Foz. We kept the stock head unit for theft deterence, but added our (2) Xtant amps, A/D/S separates, and a RE Audio 8" sub and custom box. We also had a set of Swift springs installed along with a set of 19"x8", +30 Enkei Rpf-1's wrapped with 245/45/19 Sumitomo HTRZ III's. I also had the side skirts and rear trim on the bumper painted and color matched as well.

Sometime this week (Hopefully...) I plan on swapping out the Swift springs with a set of '08 STi springs to lower the car just a touch more. I'm thinking it will lower the car about another inch. I also plan to have the car tinted this up coming weekend, maybe 20% all around. And lastly, I'm going to be adding the OEM I-pod adapter in the near future as well. Here's a couple pics:

*****Couple of updated pics on post #22 ********

·
Premium Member
2006 Forester XT 4EAT
629 Posts
very nice ride! I'll like to watch this one come along

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Looking really good, though, it's SCREAMING for a sports grille. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2005 X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking really good, though, it's SCREAMING for a sports grille. :biggrin:
I do like the way the sports grill looks, but I think I'm going to go a different route than the norm. I may just keep the stock grill and paint the chrome surround or something. Just got to be a little different. Chrome is definitely not my thing.
thumbs up bran!
Thanks brother. Every time I look at your WRX wagon it makes me miss mine. It was pretty tough for me buying these wheels since they're only 8" wide. But, in the interest of keeping a happy home, I decided not to go aggressive on this one. Rubbing issues........wife's ride..........no bueno.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
some ideas..

Paint the inside bars to make it less bright:

Sports grille and stock grille hybrid:

credit: catmew (minkara)

·
Registered
2005 X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^ Thanks for the pics. I kind of like the second one, but it's funny because I was thinking of going the opposite of the first one. I was thinking of painting and color matching or painting black the outer Chrome part of the grill and leaving the middle as is. Hmmmmm, decisions.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
looks great, amazing what a few subtle mods will do. btw be careful, those sti springs will prematurely wear out your brand new struts.. if you want to do it right, itll take some customization, but 08 sti/strut package would be nice... personally i think that stance is perfect!

·
Registered
2005 X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks great, amazing what a few subtle mods will do. btw be careful, those sti springs will prematurely wear out your brand new struts.. if you want to do it right, itll take some customization, but 08 sti/strut package would be nice... personally i think that stance is perfect!
Thanks for the compliments. As for the STi springs, not to worry. I actually scored a crazy good deal from one of my friends. When I bought the Swifts from my friend, he gave me the complete take off with the OEM struts and all! (Thanks Justin!!!!) I still got my OEM stuff as well, so I'll probably just run these for a while, then if I do kill the struts after a year or two, I'll swap in mine. This car is wife owned and driven with baby in tow, so spirited driving is a no no. I figure with the amount we drive this one (so far +/- 1200 miles in the 2 months we've owned it) they should last a while :banana:.

·
Registered
2011 WRX
144 Posts
I like it!

hey, how much did they charge you for the paint work? Did they give you a "speech" about how you shouldn't paint the plastic parts cuz they are textured and the paint would probably flake off, we need to order a special part that accepts paint, etc...? The local shops here are pretty silly.

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
863 Posts
Sweet lookin ride there... How do you like the Ride with the Swift springs in comparison to the stock ride? I was thinking about getting a set for mine... Keep up the great work!

PS... Wheres the pics of your 05?!

·
Registered
2005 X
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like it!

hey, how much did they charge you for the paint work? Did they give you a "speech" about how you shouldn't paint the plastic parts cuz they are textured and the paint would probably flake off, we need to order a special part that accepts paint, etc...? The local shops here are pretty silly.
I guess you could say I'm pretty lucky. My family owns a collision repair shop here in Hawaii. And it is true about what they told you, because I tell our customers the same thing. But, there are ways around it. I actually had my painter sand the texture off (basically making it flat and smooth like the rest of the bumper and normal side skirts), prime and paint. Wouldn't really be that cheap since there's more materials and time involved as compared to painting a regular plastic bumper, but I didn't like the lower black part, so I had to have it done. Usually what we tell customers is that we don't recommend it, but we can do it, but it wouldn't be warrantied. We've done a lot WRX guys sideskirts and none have peeled yet, but eventually it probably will.
Sweet lookin ride there... How do you like the Ride with the Swift springs in comparison to the stock ride? I was thinking about getting a set for mine... Keep up the great work!

PS... Wheres the pics of your 05?!
I was actually kind of surprised by the Swifts. I thought they would be a little on the stiffer side, but the ride is really comfortable. It's wife approved if that means anything, hahaha.

As for my '05, ahhh not really much to look at. It's just a beater, non-turbo, lowered with wagon struts, STi springs and saggy butt spacers. I had a set of 18x8.5's with 255's on there a little while ago but sold them. It's currently sporting 17" SSR comps, but I have a set of old school JDM wheels that I'll be restoring and throwing on them in a few months.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts