Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Originally, I had the Titek UP. The lower flange completely separated at the weld from the rest of the pipe.

WOW I thought the titek was decent stuff? better keep a eye on my dp...

oh looking good!!!!!:woohoo:[/QUOTE]

It drove me nuts! Exhaust fumes and rattles and extra exhaust whooshing sounds...:puke:

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Installed Koyo All Aluminum Radiator

Got a pretty good deal on the VH13026 Koyo V-Core made specifically for 06-08 Foresters (MT) from a local parts supplier (it's good to be a Californian sometimes). He had three in stock and said that he sells quite a few of them.

Here is the box and packing quality:

The frontal surface area is pretty much the same. Here are some photos showing the difference in thickness:

As you can see, the Koyo is 1-12/32" (35mm) thick vs. the OEM at 19/32" (15mm). Over twice as thick.

Comparing fin density, the OEM design is more dense:

Overall the Koyo piece looked good. I was not impressed with the crappy design of the inlet and outlet tubes. You can see how they just did a square cut:

The fans went on flawlessly:

Driver's side mounting bracket looked correct:

The passenger side mounting bracket indicated that the mounting post on the radiator was a bit off:

The tee and tubing needed for the 04-05 Foresters:

This radiator has a fill point near the top hose, but does not come with a cap. This made it easy to fill and burp the cooling system. I chose to use a cap with a similar relief set point as the OEM one. More coolant went in than what came out. Perhaps the Koyo radiator has a larger internal volume than the OEM part?

After warming up, the new radiator smoked like a new set of headers for a few minutes. I was like :icon_eek: at first. :biggrin:

The install was pretty easy, a tribute to a good fit. Was it worth the extra money for an all aluminum radiator? Probably. The plastic capped radiators have lasted me 50,000 miles each. This one had better outlast the rest of the car.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I thought I would add the info about the new head unit and front components here. Excuse the cut and paste.:biggrin:

I installed the single din head unit released by Kenwood this year. It has a TON of DSP features and can really make your compressed media come alive with its on-board 24-bit DAC.

Here is the link to ProductWiki: Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X794

My left front voice coil died and I replaced it with: Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 Components

I was using line level adapters to feed the signal from the factory double-din head unit to a Kicker-KX650-4 to drive the front components.

It never sounded 'right'. The Infinity's were missing their mid range and were too harsh up top. The front image was stretched out from the floor to the window sill. So when the OEM head unit started to act up, I jumped on a good deal for the KDC-X794.

Imaging and sound quality is superb. But, you should expect to spend half an hour to an hour making adjustments. I love the iPod control and 5 line display. The nano now stays hidden (possibly forever) in the glove box.

I would recommend any of the three units in this family (X494,X794,X994).

In the dash:

I have successfully paired the 3G and 3GS iPhones with this head unit. Both play like an iPod. They can also be used to stream Pandora.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Koyo Radiator Update

There is no doubt about the ability of this radiator to cool the coolant. ECU logs show temperatures between 181 and 190 with an average of 185.

I didn't expect the oil temps to have gone up by 8 to 10 degrees. Typical oil temp values were 210-215 and are now around 225-235. The sender is from a filter sandwich. It seems that the larger radiator has increased the radiant heat in that area and is affecting the oil temperatures. :icon_frown:

I've already burned myself on the Koyo radiator from leaning on it. The top gets HOT.:biggrin:

·
Administrator
30,099 Posts
Nice! I'd love to get the Subtle Koyo rad for Subed, but that's pie in the sky right now. So far nothing has popped on the original stocker... fingers crossed.

Are you going to show it off at the July install day?

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Nice! I'd love to get the Subtle Koyo rad for Subed, but that's pie in the sky right now. So far nothing has popped on the original stocker... fingers crossed.

Are you going to show it off at the July install day?
Got a really good deal. Subtle isn't the exclusive distributor for the Forester specific Koyo model...:biggrin: So you can't really call it the "Subtle Koyo rad".

I should be able to make the July BBQ/Install.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I had the infinity kappa perfects in a previous vehicle and loved the highs and mid-high, but they definitely lacked in the lower end. Which was pretty unfortunate because I had a 15" sub in the car, and the spread between the 15" and the kappa's was too broad that I was going to need to add another mid-range driver. Ended up selling the car though.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I had the infinity kappa perfects in a previous vehicle and loved the highs and mid-high, but they definitely lacked in the lower end. Which was pretty unfortunate because I had a 15" sub in the car, and the spread between the 15" and the kappa's was too broad that I was going to need to add another mid-range driver. Ended up selling the car though.
Yeah. I was surprised to see that the published frequency response cuts off at 75hz. Having heard them, it seems a bit conservative. They pair well with a 10" or 8". The X-over frequency for the kappa perfects is set to 50 Hz with a 12 dB slope. The sub comes in at 80 Hz with the same slope. The imaging for the low end stays up front for the majority of the music I play.

They do get LOUD. 100 watts RMS with 400 watts peak at 90 db/watt gets into the loss of hearing range.:biggrin:

The timing of your post is funny. I just came in from the garage after swapping the polarity of the tweeters. There was something missing with the overall sound and I was sure that it was something in the head unit.:crazy: There was a lack in frequency response around the component's crossover point. At low volume the higher frequencies would dominate. Then, after turning it up, things would even out but it would be too loud overall. Now, it does have a more complete and focused image after reversing the polarity of the tweeters. I won't know if this was the problem until I get on the freeway since everything sounds better in the garage/parked.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
^Hmmm...very interesting though that I had never tried with my setup. I'll have to keep that in mind when I finally getting around to something on the Foz. Wonder if the spacing in it is condusive to giving the tweeters a shift.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
^Hmmm...very interesting though that I had never tried with my setup. I'll have to keep that in mind when I finally getting around to something on the Foz. Wonder if the spacing in it is condusive to giving the tweeters a shift.
The sound quality is much better now, even on the road. I'm pretty sure now that the tweeters were out of phase with the woofers. It's strange because I took great care to match the marked polarities on the tweeter and crossover. I don't think the distance between the tweeter its respective woofer is large enough to cause any noticeable phase shift.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi there. I'm sorry for posting on this thread again after so many time, but i just bought a Forester and i'm having real trouble finding a radiator that will fit. It is a 2003 Manual Trans 2.0 Turbo. I want to get an aftermarket as the OEM is way too expensive, but the easier way for me to get it is in the US, but i've seen that the 2.0 Turbo was not sold there so i wasn't able to find a radiator. They can be found in UK mostly but they are OEM and the shipping to US increases the price to undesirable levels.

My question is if there is a chance i might get to fit a 2.5T radiator for my 2.0T engine. I was wondering if a 2003 Impreza 2.0T radiator will fit in my Forester but i'm almost sure the chasis will be different so i think a 2.5T Forester radiator will be more likely to fit as the engine bay should be the same as the 2.0T one.

I would appreciate your help on this. Regards!

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I haven't updated this threaded in a long time. Here are some new items:

Equal Length Headers and matching Up-Pipe (MadDad)

Turbo Back Exhaust (Milltek Sport Hi-Power)

235/50/17 Tires (Continental Extreme Contact DWS)

Shortblock (EJ25)

850cc Injectors (DeatschWerks)

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I heard somebody just got a new tune. Can you come over and give me a test drive? And why is this thread in the wrong section?
It's an OLD thread. But, I try to update it when I can. Mods can move it if they want.

For sure, you can test drive. :) It's a great tune. 3rd and 4th are fantastic on the back roads.

The VF-41 is such a great turbo.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts