Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whenever I drive my wife's '10 XT on gravel (I presume this is only going to get worse on snow), I hate the damn VDC - it has just about the same reaction time as me (i.e., slow), and it's interference is too severe/patchy. Not to mention the fact that may be, just may be I want to be going sideways (in certain situations)...

Anyway, here' he deal - I want the damn thing off. Preferably - on demand on and off function. And I need your held/feedback/participation/etc.

This is what I (and, as I have searched the forum, we) have so far:

1. VCD cannot be disabled within normal functionality. Yes, you can disable traction control but not VDC, no matter what the button or the lights says. You can even lock out "disable traction control" function by holding the VDC-off button for awhile, but, obviously, this is not what I'm after.

2. It is possible to disable VDC (and ABS - it's all in one module anyway) by simply pulling the fuse No. 1 (30A) under the hood, which disables ABS motor relays which renders ABS and VDC inoperable. The problem is, this is not an "on-demand" solution, as it requires engine restart to get back to normal functionality, which is rather inconvenient.

3. By pulling the fuse No. 33 in the fuse box (under the dash), the VDC is disabled, BUT this triggers a check engine code (just FIY, fuse N.33 supplies power to VDC module and yaw & G sensor and steering angle sensor; and both of those sensors' outputs are going not only to VCD but also to ECM, TCM, and the "body integrated unit"). This does not trigger an airbag fault though, surprisingly (I'd think g-sensor would be involved, too). Same thing happens when VDC module is unplug at the module.

Ok, that's all I've got for today, folks. If anyone is interested in continuing the guest for the "on-demand" VDC-OFF functionality, please join me here. Relevant wiring diagrams are attached, additional info can be provided on demand. Please post ideas/suggestions and experimental results here.

P.S. If you're here just to say "why would you ever want to disable VDC" or other such nonsense, please pass by and not pollute this thread.

P.P.S. Read the P.S. again, would you kindly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Impreza OutbackSport 4EAT
404 Posts
VDC saved my bacon once, man. I was driving 60+ on the freeway, and went to change lanes. Checked my blindspot before doing so, but that didn't stop some wanker from changing lanes into the same lane at the same time, and came within an inch of hitting my car. I had to swerve back into the lane I came from quickly, causing my car (2009 Outback Sport) to skid sideways. The VDC stopped this and kept me moving in a straight line, helping me avoid causing a massive accident and possibly getting injured.

It's on for a reason! And I am thankful for it.

Sorry for polluting your thread.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
polluting on the highway at speed is way different than on gravel :shake: :chair:

It is awesome to be able to figure out ways to defeat things that are mostly good for the times that they aren't.

Things like this are also partially why I'll probably be sticking to older cars for awhile. Used to you just got a car and added functionality. Now you get a car and spend as much time defeating things and working around them as adding new stuff. :icon_rolleyes: :biggrin:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2010 Forester Touring
136 Posts
I was curious about this too and stumbled upon an owner (2009MY) who successfully accomplished this. He completely turned off the VDC.

He wrote:

"VDC: ok ... so clarification is needed here ... but i DID find a solution to COMPLETELY TURN IT OFF ON 2009's.

1st of all, when i said "Flashing" i meant the 2nd light ... there are TWO lights on the 09's and up ... one on the bottom left of the cluster, and one bigger light on the top right ... the bottom left one is the light that turns ON when the TRACTION CONTROL is OFF ... but NOT the VDC (the bottom left light has absolutely NOTHING to do with VDC)... this is where the TOP RIGHT light comes into play ... if you induce "drifting"... the top right light will blink/turn on when the VDC tries to correct your vehicles latteral movements.

so again ... top right ligth is VDC ... bottom left is Traction control (TC) ... on the 09's you can turn OFF the TC with the button on the dash (below the steering wheel) ... but this DOES NOT TURN OFF THE VDC...it has nothing to do with it....

now, i played with some fuses tonight (we had some snow on the ground) and figured out how to turn EVERYTHING off .. you just need to remove the 30A green ABS fuse under the hood ... this will turn off ABS, VDC and Traction control (TC).

there are other fuses that i want to try tomorrow ... but so far this works well.... and ohhh does the car go sideways !!!!

i'll keep you guys posted if i find a fuse that only removes VDC and TC ..."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here'a a guy on YouTube that did the same thing:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the OP was asking about an on/off demand system so with a little ingenuity, a circuit could possibly be installed here.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
5 Posts
I have a 2010 non-turbo and I will confirm that if you pull the ABS fuse from under the hood you will disable the VDC, TC, ABS and the Cruise Control.
You will get 3 or 4 different warning lights on the dash. However, the vehicle ran the same and you could throw it around and slide it.

I would like to be able to enable/disable the VDC with a switch and still be able to leave the TC and ABS controlled with the stock button. That means I would like to disable VDC but keep the TC and ABS enabled.

Has anyone tried simpling unplugging the Yaw Rate & G Sensor?

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And I would not disable g-sensor - if I'm not mnistaken it is used by the airbag control module.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would love to fine a temporary (switched) way to disable the damn VDC too.....it's been spoiling my fun with all the snow we've had :icon_frown:

·
Registered
10 XT 4EAT
890 Posts
I have to ask, what exactly are you trying to do when the VDC seems to kick in again and correct?? I am assuming that you have hit the disable button. This also applies to others with this complaint, not just you, I am genuinely curious.

I ask because I have had no problem doing doughnuts with my '10XT, also some minor drifting hasn't been a problem, but I haven't had a large enough area to do any serious drifting.

During some autocrossing that I have done with my XT, even after hitting the disable button, I have noticed the 'upper right' VDC light blinking, but did not notice the vehicle taking any corrective measures. In comparison when the system was enabled, it would make corrections on me and throw off my line.

I also just want to add that I am not against a complete disable, as I am a fan of having absolute control over my vehicle, ABS is one my largest pet peeves. I dislike nanny systems with a passion.

Another thing that I want to add, I believe that the computer may still trigger the light even though the system is off. It would be easier in the code to only have one spot to deal with the disable point (such as right before actual activation of correction) then to have to check it in multiple areas depending how well the code was written.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The VDC will try to correct any skid that is senses.....weaving back and forth today on a snowy road I could feel the stupid wheels braking in an attempt for the computer to bring the car back in line. The operations of the VDC was confirmed with the blinking light at the top of the gauge cluster.

In normal driving when I gas it and try to slide around the VDC kicks in and does it's thing. It's even worse with the traction control on :icon_mad:

As mentioned above, the disable button is only for the traction control. The VDC is not affected by this.

The OP's first post pretty much explains all of the tech crap....

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 MT
117 Posts
Disable ABS in pictures

Per Noey's instructions here are the pictures. :woohoo:

Note that the cruise control is also disabled when doing this.

With my not so good in snow Bridgestone Dueller H/T tires this gives a lot more control of the vehicle in slippery ice/fresh snow conditions. Stopping distance seems to be shorter with less loss of directional control at low speeds (<5mph). With ABS the vehicle tended to slide to the right. Without ABS it tends to slide to the left but not as pronounced.

As with any mod, go to a safe place and test drive it till you are comfortable with it. This changes how the car behaves.

STEP 1 - LOCATE FUSE BOX AND REMOVE COVER

STEP 2 - LOCATE ABS FUSE

STEP 3 - MOVE ABS FUSE TO EMPTY HOLDER

STEP 4 - RUN ENGINE AND SEE ABS LIGHTS ON DASH

STEP 5 - PUT THE COVER BACK ON (Hee Hee)

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Forester Sport-Tech
172 Posts
I wonder if something like the Cobb Access Port could do this? I know it has all kinds of options.
Although, it still wouldn't be an on-off solution. I would also love to turn this on and off at will. A nice little switch or button like the TC button. The TC off button helps getting the Foz "sideways", but I'd also like more control over what is running. There are times when we just want to have fun driving, and the VDC hampers that fun.

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In my experience TC (mistakenly labeled VDC) OFF button will allow you to spin the wheels in a straight line but not go sideways... except may be at very low speeds - I guess if you keep pushing it you could do doughnuts. I have not personally tried do slide/skid/spin below~25-30mph yet, and at those speeds VDC kicks it big time.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
I know that this would probably void the warranty, and cause some problems with your insurance company if you ever got in an accident, but here is goes.

Get an external fuse holder for a 30A fuse. Wire in one wire from the external fuse to the OEM fuse socket. Wire the other side to a kill-switch located inside the vehicle. Wire the other side of the kill-switch to the other side of OEM fuse socket. Therefore you are using a switch inside the vehicle to kill the fuse, and not having to pull it every time. I'm not an electrician, but in theory, isn't that how it would work?

Here's a crappy drawing of what I mean.......

Attachments

·
Registered
10 XT 4EAT
890 Posts
In my experience TC (mistakenly labeled VDC) OFF button will allow you to spin the wheels in a straight line but not go sideways... except may be at very low speeds - I guess if you keep pushing it you could do doughnuts. I have not personally tried do slide/skid/spin below~25-30mph yet, and at those speeds VDC kicks it big time.
As i posted above, I have had no problems doing doughnuts in my 2010XT. VDC is definitely not kicking in (after pressing off button) as I can keep going in circles until I pull out of the doughnut. These doughnuts are started from a standstill in snow. This is why I asked what people are trying and seeing the vdc still seem to activate, as I haven't managed to activate it yet when I have pressed the off button. Also I have done some slow speed sideways sliding for abit and didn't notice any vdc action.

I know that this would probably void the warranty, and cause some problems with your insurance company if you ever got in an accident, but here is goes.

Get an external fuse holder for a 30A fuse. Wire in one wire from the external fuse to the OEM fuse socket. Wire the other side to a kill-switch located inside the vehicle. Wire the other side of the kill-switch to the other side of OEM fuse socket. Therefore you are using a switch inside the vehicle to kill the fuse, and not having to pull it every time. I'm not an electrician, but in theory, isn't that how it would work?

Here's a crappy drawing of what I mean.......

nothing wrong with that drawing, that would be the correct way to do it.

If anyone attempts this, I want to remind people that the switch needs to be rated for at least the same amount of current as the fuse and the switch should be on-off position type.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 MT
117 Posts
If anyone attempts this, I want to remind people that the switch needs to be rated for at least the same amount of current as the fuse and the switch should be on-off position type.
I would be a little leary of switching the ABS on and off while the engine is running. Like all things electrical, shut off power, make changes, turn power back on. There has to be a cleaner way to do this so the dash isn't lit up like a Christmas tree and the Cruise Control still works.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Touring
136 Posts
To add to Blue Fox's post....

I was having a chat with my bro-in-law (who is an electrician) and this is what we came up with:

Disclaimer: Only attempt at you own risk!

NOTE: The switch in the vehicle only controls the relay so the switch's wire gauge is not as critical compared to that of the relay. It's the relay that contols the main 30 amp circuit so the wires from the relay to the fuse box has to be properly rated at 10 gauge to correctly handle the load.

Also use 10 gauge "stranded" wire as opposed to "single-solid" wire. It's easier to work with.

·
Registered
10 XT 4EAT
890 Posts
ya, using a relay is the smarter way, especially to reduce wiring gauge to run inside. Your way is the smarter and safer way.

I was only responding directly to blue fox's diagram and wasn't trying to improve on it.

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When using relay, you only need to run one thin wire through the firewall (the other one being ground aka car body).

You might even find an unused wire already available in the main harness (not very likely, but might be worth investigating).

1 - 20 of 88 Posts