Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

The rat look - anyone have the time and ability to photoshop something up?

37K views 71 replies 45 participants last post by  Lockheed 
#1 ·
this may be a bit controversial, but has anyone seen or thought about ratting out a foz?

I was at a VW bash on the weekend and saw some really good looking cars. Definitely a bit marmite, but i really liked them. It used to be mainly old bugs and campers, but i've seen its branching out a bit into other cars like skoda's, leons etc.

anyone got the time and ability to photoshop something up?

#3 · (Edited)
Rat look is often obtained by slamming the car very, very low to the ground and sanding the body parts, leaving
them exposed to develop rust. Official definition is:

"Distinct VW "Look" characterized by visible rust and an extreme lowering job. Usually performed on a rusty or otherwise unrestorable VW."

There are some nice ones in this thread.

I like this one:

Here's another nice one:

Stan

#15 ·
I did say it might be a bit controversial.......

Letting a car go a bit rusty in sunkissed california is alright, but with our climate it'd be completely buggered within a few weeks! I had a talk with some of the owners and it seemed that a few of them had the 'rust' painted on, the bodywork was actually quite sound. A lot of them where also painted matt black with just a couple of bits rusted, like the wing mirrors and bonnets.

#18 ·
theres a few of these rat VW's round here. Mostly VW Polos and golfs.

One in particular caught my attention one night as despite doing ahem 80 he still managed to wheel spin it!

Seen it since and turns out despite looking like crap, its got a turbo charged G40 engine inside.

#26 ·
I personally love it! My roots are with VW's from a young age. I am rating my single speed bike now.....Rusting it up and then bees waxing it, if you scratch it let it rust again and then wipe the bees wax over it again.....self repairing finish!!

I think the Foz would suit a rat job....but like you say its very marmite but so is the Foz!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.