Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

3201 - 3211 of 3211 Posts

·
Registered
2015 BMW X1
8 Posts
Hey all! Possible future Pittsburgh Forester owner here!

I had two Pittsburgh specific questions for you and wanted to see what your thoughts were.

First, I was curious if there are any 4th gen. owners out there with the 2.5l engine. Curious about your experience in our area with the non-turbo engine specifically with our "hilly geography" and highways with extremely short onramps. I previously had a Mitsubishi Outlander Sport and God help me that engine and CVT combo were terrible for any sort of merging or normal turnpike passing. I'm leaving behind my BMW; which was an awesome car, but I'm just not a BMW person, and I'm ready to not have to buy premium fuel anymore. lol

I did like how the Forester 2.5 felt over the 18 Crosstrek, but was also heavily considering the 2017 Mazda CX5. I was curious how the 2.5 has performed for you in our area.

Second, which Pittsburgh dealerships have you worked with and which would you personally recommend?

I'm definately on the fence between the new CX5

·
Registered
2015 BMW X1
8 Posts
(woops hit post before I finished)

...between the new CX5 and the Forester. I would greatly appreciate your input!

Let's Go Pens!!!

·
Registered
19 19 Touring, 17TrgXT CVT
636 Posts
Hey @tonypgh. I am in Sixburgh also. I test drove several 2.5 NA Foresters and ended up getting an XT. I personally would not go with the 2.5. Make sure you test drive both ...around the hills here, and highway on ramps to experience the huge difference in acceleration. I am so glad I got the turbo, you will quickly see the difference. I bought mine from Bud Baer in Washington PA for 2% under invoice. I checked out virtually every Subaru Dealer in the area. Be sure to check the Prices Paid threads so you don't pay more than you have to. If you are going to buy new, and when you are nearing finalizing the deal, PM me and I will shoot you over a $500 off Ambassador Coupon.

·
Registered
2015 BMW X1
8 Posts
Hey @tonypgh. I am in Sixburgh also. I test drove several 2.5 NA Foresters and ended up getting an XT. I personally would not go with the 2.5. Make sure you test drive both ...around the hills here, and highway on ramps to experience the huge difference in acceleration. I am so glad I got the turbo, you will quickly see the difference. I bought mine from Bud Baer in Washington PA for 2% under invoice. I checked out virtually every Subaru Dealer in the area. Be sure to check the Prices Paid threads so you don't pay more than you have to. If you are going to buy new, and when you are nearing finalizing the deal, PM me and I will shoot you over a $500 off Ambassador Coupon.
Thanks for the input JumpingJack and the offer! I don't drive with a lead foot but man, sometimes you just need some help. I had an Outlander Sport before the X1 and I felt like I could run faster sometimes. I did not test drive the XT but will take your advice and make sure I do so. I've been able to run mid-range fuel in my BMW X1 and still get around 21.5mpg mixed-driving so I presume I can get about that in the XT w/o going premium fuel. If I end up going for the Forester I'll be sure to reach out. Your info was super helpful.

·
Registered
2015 BMW X1
8 Posts
@JumpingJackFlash

Great news! I ended up putting in an order for a 2018 XT Touring in the dark gray metallic w/ black interior on Monday! I'm buying from the big evil #1 Cochran, which wasn't the plan. I was out in Monroeville ironically working a deal on the Jeep Compass my girlfriend wanted. Since so few dealerships have the XT in stock, I figured I would stop in there. After a 30min test drive all over the place through dirt and gravel I was sold. My current lease is only through mid-Jan so it actually made sense to buy one that I couldn't get yet. Hopefully the residuals and money factors remain about the same. They offered a loaner if my lease ends before the XT comes in. It was a win-win. They were super nice there and very transparent as I made it clear that leases do not confuse me. It's just a formula.

It's probably more appropriate for the "prices paid" area but figured I would share anyways.

MSRP: 38,481.00
Invoice was: 35,594
Savings: 3,600
Price: 34,881.00 ($714 under invoice!)
+ acquisition fee: 595
+ Title, Reg fees: 332.15
$1,000 down
61% residual
.00055 MF
Monthly payment with tax: $395

The awesome part is that I'll be even lower once I drop the coupon.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2018 Forester
20 Posts
quiet here, moving back to the area on the 5th of june. bringing my 2018 forester with me. glad i am coming home

·
Registered
18 XT CVT
22 Posts
Figured I'd drop a line to #1 say hello, and #2, comment on what a gross performance the Steelers had yesterday. Barely squeaked out a tie vs the worst team in the league.

I just jumped ship (well temporarily at least) from a 6mt 335xi to a CVT '18 XT. My other car went in for work 8 weeks ago, and has yet to return. Issue after issue after issue trying to get her to stage 2. Car was stupid fast already, but wanted to crest the 500hp mark. So in the meantime I had to pick up a new DD since the new timeline for upgrades is undetermined, currently sourcing a used engine for what appears to be botched work from the previous owner. But man, do I wish it came in a manual, the CVT is just downright boring, but at least I get the pass from the wife because now she can drive my car again. And at least I only have a single turbo to deal with instead of two highly unreliable ones!

So brand new to Subies, but have a friend with a Moore/TPG built WRX/STi swap hawkeye. He is in worse shape than I am. His car has been under the knife for a few months. Tons of other friends own subies, and couple that are ambassadors, so figured it would be a safe jump for now. Looks like there is no shortage of people from around the Pittsburgh area, so hopefully I'll run into a few of you in the near future. I'd be interested to see/hear what options are out there for the 2018's to squeeze a bit more power out, while not borking warranties.

Here's hoping game 2 isn't as much of a drag as the first one!

·
Registered
1999 forester S
9 Posts
Doesn’t look like anyone posts here much... but i just wanted to drop a few lines. I’m new to the forester community recently picking up a 99 forester that I plan to do a small lift on and just make it a fun daily / off-road ride. I’m about 45 min south east of Pittsburgh and get out a lot. So if u are having a meet anywhere feel free to shoot me a message

3201 - 3211 of 3211 Posts