Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 1998 Forester with a blown head gasket, 230XXX miles. I have been going back and forth on weather or not to repair it or sell it. I have finally decided to sell it and drive my legacy back and forth to work. I have no idea what it should be worth. Here are the details, any help would be appreciated.

1998 Forester L, Color is white and body is like new, 1 year old tires and front brakes, Air, cruise, Auto, Power windows, remote locks, AM-FM Cass CD, Luggage rack, Brush guard, Steel wheels, Daily driver until head gasket went. The car was well maintained and drive great. The rear struts will need to be replaced soon.
Any thoughts on Value?

Thanks Dokako

·
Road Warrior
2005 Outback Wagon 2.5i
411 Posts
Based on the zip code he entered under location he is in Fond Du Lac, WI

·
Registered
2011 Mazda 2 Yozora 4EAT
62 Posts
I have a 1998 Forester L white 5MT with 277,000km on it. In Ontario (Canada) the Used Vehicle Information Package issued by the Province (based on Red Book values) requires retail sales tax to be paid based on an average wholesale value of $1050Cdn and lists an average retail value of $3250 exclusive of optional equipment and mileage factors.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,459 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have a 1998 Forester with a blown head gasket, 230XXX miles. I have been going back and forth on weather or not to repair it or sell it. I have finally decided to sell it and drive my legacy back and forth to work. I have no idea what it should be worth. Here are the details, any help would be appreciated.

1998 Forester L, Color is white and body is like new, 1 year old tires and front brakes, Air, cruise, Auto, Power windows, remote locks, AM-FM Cass CD, Luggage rack, Brush guard, Steel wheels, Daily driver until head gasket went. The car was well maintained and drive great. The rear struts will need to be replaced soon.
Any thoughts on Value?

Thanks Dokako
If I were in the market and the vehicle was sold as-is, I would offer $500-800 for it (depending on general condition).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 1999 with 207K on it. I am thinking about selling it to get a bigger car for the family. KBB is about $1650 for Fair condition. The car runs great. What would be a good starting price $2000?

·
Registered
2006 forester xt 5speed
837 Posts
sell all your parts on their own (youll get more $$)

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,459 Posts
It's worth what the right buyer is willing to pay for it. :wink:

·
Registered
2010 Evolution GSR 5speed
89 Posts
Haha true... I would part it out if nessassary ( I mean nothings installed anyways but the radio and I'll leave it in) but Im hoping the person that buys it would want to do what I was planning because it deserves to be made into a true STI !

Is $21k with everything too much?

·
Registered
2014 Forester limited Auto
50 Posts
What's it worth

I purchase a 2014 subaru forester pearl white limited in August, I have 8 K miles on it. I am looking to trade it in for another brand of car. I have not shopped it around yet, I am just curious to see if anyone knows what it would be worth.

·
Registered
2006 2006 & 2010 Forester automatic
2,247 Posts
If you financed it, you are probably better off doing a payment swap to another owner(provided you got a good rate).

Straight trade-in, you are going to get hosed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would be happy with 2-3 K loss, any thing more will force me to keep it, which I don't want to do.

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,977 Posts
Typically its a 20% drop when you drive a new car off the lot. Some cars do better, some worse. So if it was a 25k purchase you'd be lucky to get 20k towards a trade-in, at least in the market around here.

Hopefully, a better market where you're located.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,983 Posts
You might sell it to an individual for only a $2k-$3k loss, but it's doubtful you get any dealer to take it in trade for anything close to that.

Just curious, what makes you want to trade and what do you want to replace it with?

·
Registered
2006 2006 & 2010 Forester automatic
2,247 Posts
He wants to get rid of a car that either...

1. Has a wonky CVT...
2. Has no idea how a CVT operates and doesn't understand the CVT torque converter stays locked at all times(once moving) which creates "jerkiness" not found in normal automatics that unlock/lock to shift.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am looking to trade to an explorer and I can't deal with the way it drives. I know others will say that's the way cvt's operate, but they would be wrong. Subaru has an issue with the software and they are attempting to come up with a update, but have not put out anything yet.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Cvt auto
21 Posts
My 2014 is the first Subaru I have ever owned and the only CVT I have ever driven, I love the way it drives! To me it's smoother than others I have driven. The only thing I had to get used to was I live on a hill so when I back out the hill assist holds the car....it takes a little bit more peddle to get moving which sometimes is a quick starting move......after that no problems.

1 - 20 of 259 Posts