Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Timing belt (cam belt in Brit-speaking countries) failure has always been a big topic here. Many of us (including me) have lost a Subaru or other car due to its failure, whether by breaking by itself or getting broken by failure of one of the associated rotating components. This is frequently a death sentence for the motor.

In 2011 Subaru moved to a timing chain. They called it a lifetime component.

It's now time for us to put together our experiences with this new development. How have things worked out for you? Any failures? Any problems? Have you conducted any sort of routine inspection? Any other thoughts on the issue? Let us know!

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
649 Posts
Don' worry bout it!

The only way to "inspect a roller chain to: 1. take it out and check for "stretch" or 2. Check it in situ for the relative positions of two sprocket relative to "new" condition. The chosen sprockets would need to be indexed when the chain is installed.

I have yet to see any mention of timing chain issues in this forum. It is something (one of several) that encouraged me to get the 2015 to replace our 2006. Therefor, the timing chain is something that I happily do not obsess over.

GD

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,517 Posts
@bbottomley,
A well oil bathed chain will last as long as the rest of the engine internals, if not longer, so a "not to worry item".
The only real wear part would be a cam chain tensioner (not sure if Subies have one), but on most vehicles, these are automatic, like on the serpentine belt. I can't imagine anyone in the right mind taking an engine apart to inspect the cam chain, unless they were doing a head repair/replace etc.. Like darter said, I don't think I've ever even heard of a cam chain problem (other than they are a bit noisier than a belt) which is why most people are more than happy to get a bit of noise as opposed to a potential catastrophic failure (more than one of these recently on this forum). I would be surprised in the extreme if anyone reports a failure related to this component... maybe questions on reassembly but failure?
Seriously doubt it.

·
Registered
2013 forester 2.5X automatic
808 Posts
Hi all; The chain tensioners on my 2013 2.5x would leak down overnight and chains would rattle on start up. The dealer replaced both tensioners, both chains, and all chain guides (under warranty), this was at 28,800 miles. At about 52,000 miles the noise started to come back, I then started to do my own oil changes using Mobil 1 0w-20 high mileage and the noise went away. My never used excessive oil and I think it uses even less with the Mobil 1. My wife has a 2014 Forester non-turbo and at 78,000 mile has never has any engine noises and uses less oil than my 2013.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2011 Forester that we bought used in 2016 from a dealer. It had 76,000 km and a new short block on warranty due to oil consumption issues. We have been doing our own oil changes using Mobil 1 0/20 Synthetic and no timing chain noise issues. It does burn a bit of oil but it has that since we bought it. 153,000 km now and it has been a great vehicle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts