Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best of 73s to our Subaru loving ham radio operators. Let's introduce ourselves here, describe our rigs and our favorite modes of operation, and chew the rag about any other ham radio stuff.

I'm W1KYC. I got my ticket at age 13 in 1956, when they were doing a final run through the W1 series before opening up K1. But for an unfortunate, brief lapse in 1983, I have had that call ever since. I did somehow fail to tell FCC that I had moved to W3-land for quite a while, miraculously remembering to do so right about the time that they decided that your original callsign was yours for life and didn't have to reflect the area you subsequently lived in.

I was super active throughout high school, passing traffic on 80 meter MARS and participating in Civil Defense support. The big thing we did on Civil Defense was to provide communications for extra police patrols on Halloween, and ride commo-shotgun with plows after big snowstorms. With our Gonset Communicator Goonie Boxes on 52.52. Then they invented cellphones, so I suspect that there's not much of that going on any more.

Things kind of waned after that, and fortunately FCC abandoned the requirement that you show a certain amount of activity in order to renew. I did go 6 meter handheld for a couple of years during my commute on the DC Beltway, shortly before the time of cell phones, but nothing after that. Maybe I'll get back into it some day, but I'm W1KYC for life.

DE W1KYC

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My best DX as a Novice was when the FCC caught the second harmonic of my 80 meter signal at their monitoring station in Maryland, well above the 40 meter band. I'm proud of that one.

My entire professional career ended up taking place not far from there. I drove past it on the way to work. I waved.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
VA7MLS

Got my ticket a few years ago as I got more and more into offroad and expo type stuff. Also useful when volunteering with Rallies and I've found the local radio club to be amazing and welcoming.

I don't have the Forester wired at the moment - my gear is in the Tacoma.. although I have been thinking of picking up one of those cute little hh wouxun jobbies to throw in while I travel.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i
20 Posts
Greetings,

I received my ticket 10 years ago but I've been interested in radio and SWL since I was in grade school. I have a 2 meter rig installed in my Forester right now perhaps I'll install an HF radio in the future.

Bruce
N0JX

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2016 Forester Limited
45 Posts
Hello across the board. KB1YWP Jim here from Cape Cod Ma. got the tech Lic a year or so ago and just have not got around to the General upgrade. Time pressures would be too easy too admit ! but in all reality I'm looking to upgrade soon. So its 2 meters & shooting skip on 10m for now.
Just got a 2016 Forrester Limited & somewhat concerned installing an HF rig.
RF / leakage & computer interference is what I'm worried about.
Any special considerations I should be aware of ?

FT 897
Dipole
J-pole
Wouxun KG-UVD1P W/Diamond J77CA Ant.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,984 Posts
Good Morning from W3LK.

First licensed in 1961 as KN4ZQG, non-renuable Novice class. I didn't upgrade and my license expired the next year.

I was relicensed in 1999 as N3ZKP as a Tech. I upgraded to General and then Extra Class in 2003. In 2006 I applied for, and was granted my current call sign.

I was active in Navy-Marine Corps MARS for 18 years (until it was disbanded in 2015), as NNN0OOR, serving variously as State MARS Director, Deputy State MARS Director and Net Operations Manager for Maryland/DC/Delaware. Upon moving to Connecticut I became Net Operations Manager for Region 1: Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire.

I have the usual WAC, WAS and DXCC certificates (150 countries) as well as ARRL Public Service Honor Roll, Official Relay Station and Official Emergency Station.

Prior to retirement, I was the Emergency Services and Operations Director for the Maryland and West Virginia Division of The salvation Army.

·
Registered
2019 Touring Forester CVT
43 Posts
N5pre

73 de N5PRE,

First licensed in '89 as a Novice but now sporting an Extra class license in Aiken, SC. I kept my callsign that I earned from Texas, so that's why I still have a "5" call. In addition to ham radio, I enjoy photography, collecting old radios, wet shaving and cooking.

I'm in the market for a Forester (hope to be an owner soon) and will be installing moving my Kenwood TMV71A to it as soon as I get it. I work mostly HF, but it's good to have the radio in the vehicle.

You may have heard me and a few of my friends on Amateur Radio Newsline (arnewsline dot org) or Ham Nation during Don Wilbanks' (AE5DW) segment for ARNewsline. I also, in addition to reading news for ARNewsline am the webmaster for the site. My own personal site is at radioactivegeek dot com.

Looking forward to following this thread. Hopefully the thread will be more active.

·
Registered
2019 Sport cvt
152 Posts
N6SYK here. Haven't been active in years, family and work kind of got in the way of some things. But now have a new 2019 Sport and nearing "retirement" so it's going to be time to unbox things and get active again. It's going to be interesting to get back up to speed and to see the challenges in these newer vehicles. If nothing else, body fit is better and it's a whole lot harder, or seems like it, to find space for gear, get power in and coax out, as well as finding a suitable antenna point.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If nothing else, body fit is better and it's a whole lot harder, or seems like it, to find space for gear, get power in and coax out, as well as finding a suitable antenna point.

You know, at the dealership yesterday, I spent some time looking at how I could mount my radio, and I'm not sure how I'm going to route the wiring through the firewall, and I'm hoping to get someone else could share their experience.
My Touring 2019 should arrive before the end of January. I'm stoked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
554 Posts
I have one, in the basement, theres even an old antenna thing as well, thought I would save it for when the bottom falls out.. most likely only way to communicate when that happens.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i
20 Posts
I was first licensed in 2006 and I am mainly active on HF where I enjoy chasing DX. I installed a 2 meter radio in my Forester a few years ago. I routed the wiring through the firewall using an existing rubber grommet in the firewall on the drivers side.

Bruce N0JX

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Forester Automatic
6 Posts
73s all and happy to find this thread...

My whole family are hams and my daughter was the youngest female in the state of Florida to get her ticket at the time she did.
I was constantly active for the first decade and then like a lot, I dropped out to focus on family, career, and housing. Just bought my first Subaru a 2018 Forester 2.5i and immediately started planning on installing my mobile rigs that had been stored away in the attic. Looks like it will be luggage rail top side mounted (no holes) and we will go from there...likewise first time I opened that hood I saw those factory rubber grommets for wiring that power cable into the cab. Many happy years and memories of MARS work, 6 meter contests, field days with the kids, and talking to the Astronauts as they circled overhead with a handheld.

Will share my new vehicle and new ham experiences here as they come...

Danny
KE4OZD

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tacoma DCSB Auto
1,943 Posts
I no longer have a FXT, but im am an Amateur Radio Operator

AE4BM

Currently in Kuwait, so no hamradio until i return state side :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
You know, at the dealership yesterday, I spent some time looking at how I could mount my radio, and I'm not sure how I'm going to route the wiring through the firewall, and I'm hoping to get someone else could share their experience.
My Touring 2019 should arrive before the end of January. I'm stoked!
Hi Radiotube, I have a 2019 Forester Sport and would be interested in what you came up with for your power and antenna routing solutions. thanks and 73!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Radiotube, I have a 2019 Forester Sport and would be interested in what you came up with for your power and antenna routing solutions. thanks and 73!
I ended up routing the wiring to the battery through the engine compartment via the driver's side fender and tucked the wiring under the door sill. The power and antenna wiring are routed that way. The radio is mounted under the driver seat with the control head on a seat bolted gooseneck mount. My antenna mount is a Diamond K400 lip mount, which is very sturdy. I have a dual band antenna attached that serves me well. It may be that one day I will switch to a firewall routed solution, but so far this has worked well.

73 de N5PRE,
Kevin

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ended up routing the wiring to the battery through the engine compartment via the driver's side fender and tucked the wiring under the door sill. The power and antenna wiring are routed that way. The radio is mounted under the driver seat with the control head on a seat bolted gooseneck mount. My antenna mount is a Diamond K400 lip mount, which is very sturdy. I have a dual band antenna attached that serves me well. It may be that one day I will switch to a firewall routed solution, but so far this has worked well.

73 de N5PRE,
Kevin
Thanks for the info and 73!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts