Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 710 Posts

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blatantly stole the idea from Rapid_Roo's ongoing thread on NASIOC because I think we need one of our own. :wink: Post your aux. lighting setups with any pertinent information on types of lights used, mounting & wiring solutions, etc.

I'll start this off with my prototype aluminum lightbar from Primitive Racing. Two Hella FF1000 driving lights up top and a pair of FF200 fogs down below.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
Pleiad-
Don't have any aux's to post but noticed that your auxillary fog lamps are clear...was that by choice? As much fog and rain as you get, I thought you might have gone with yellows...or are yellow fog light advantages a myth?
-Quick

·
Administrator
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quicksilver said:
Pleiad-
Don't have any aux's to post but noticed that your auxillary fog lamps are clear...was that by choice? As much fog and rain as you get, I thought you might have gone with yellows...or are yellow fog light advantages a myth?
-Quick
The fogs actually act more like driving lights (just with better peripheral illumination) in combination with the low beams. That's how powerful they are, and I didn't want to limit their output with colored film or bulbs. They're great for spotting suicidal wildlife by the side of the road before it becomes a hazard. :)

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
27 Posts
It's been my experience that white fogs seem to work better fo my old eyes. That being said in snow I'd rather have yellow fogs.

Chuck

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
274 Posts
Real nice, Ive always thought Pleiad7 and Ploney have the best aux light setups.

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
I used to have a pair of PIAA Xtreme White 2100 Driving lamps, and a pair of RayBrig dual beam's (fog and driving) on the XT, but my ice racing trip, and one rather intimate encounter with a frozen snowbank made short work of them. I'm in the planning stages of re-attaching them, and possibly adding another set of lights too. I would like to put a set of Hella Dynaview driving/cornering lights on there somewhere. When all of these lights were on people kept telling me that it looked like my car was smiling :) They look ricey, but I promise that they're brighter than $&#^. The Raybrigs (blue ones) did a lot more down in FL than they do up here. I got the blue because of the torrential downpours we had down there where it becomes impossible to see the road. But they've got those white reflectors in the road, and the blue picked up on them like you wouldn't believe. Up here they don't do much besides catch the reflectave signs. Still helpful, just not like they used to be.

The factory headlights have PIAA Star White (no CTB on them) lamps in them, and the fogs get Star White in the summer, but since it's winter and snowey they have PIAA Plasma Ion's (yellow with a fade to white)

Here's a pic of what used to be my setup:

·
Registered
618 Posts
question

Hey pleiad7 why did you go with the Hella FF1000 over something like the Rally 3000/4000?

·
Administrator
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: question

Nachas said:
Hey pleiad7 why did you go with the Hella FF1000 over something like the Rally 3000/4000?
They were on sale at a ridiculously low price at www.rallylights.com :mrgreen: The Rally 3000/4000 were tempting, but I couldn't really justify spending more money, and the FF1000 are plenty bright for what we use them for. Most of the time they are covered anyway and we just run with the fogs.

·
Registered
618 Posts
yeah, I saw them on Rallylights.com too for very cheap, I was thinking of getting them myself. Great deal. I was just wondering if the Ralley 3000/4000 are suposed to be better for off road stuff, or simply more substantial.

How is the mounting for the FF1000's? I am sure that light bar helps to keep them sturdy and from moving around on bumps.

·
Registered
434 Posts
What would be the legalities of doing a set-up like pleiad's or ploney's? I mean... Do you have to treat them like high beams and switch them off with oncoming traffic or can they be switched on when it's dark and leave them on untill you get out of the car?

·
FXT Alumnus
662 Posts
Mine are aimed high enough to piss off anyone in front of me.
Legal? Not recomended.

I mainly use these in place of the brights when no one is in sight.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5 MT
304 Posts
Techy101 how did you mount those light? Bolted right to the bumper or the steel underneath? I am trying to figure out how to mount a light bar in the same location.

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
they were screwed right into the plastic, and it's surprisingly strong. Strong enough that on two of the lights the metal mounting bracket bent before the screws pulled out :eek:)

I was also surprised at how little they chattered. They did a bit on very bumpy surfaces, but nothing like you would expect. I'm going to be re-mounting them differently though, and making a light bar for them soon.

·
Administrator
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mbroadhe said:
What would be the legalities of doing a set-up like pleiad's or ploney's? I mean... Do you have to treat them like high beams and switch them off with oncoming traffic or can they be switched on when it's dark and leave them on untill you get out of the car?
Mine are more or less legal... ;) I think I may have too many foglights, but I usually keep the aux. lights covered when I'm not using them. Both sets of aux lights have separate switches, and the driving lights are wired into the high beam circuit.

Here are the regulations from the CA vehicle code:

Auxiliary Driving and Passing Lamps

24402. (a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches. Driving lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the upper beam from headlamps and may not be lighted with the lower beam.

(b) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches. Passing lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the lower beam from headlamps and may also be lighted with the upper beam.
Foglamps

24403. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two foglamps that may be used with, but may not be used in substitution of, headlamps.

(b) On a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, the foglamps authorized under this section shall be mounted on the front at a height of not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches and aimed so that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high-intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle projects higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes, for a distance of 25 feet in front of the vehicle.

(c) On a motorcycle, the foglamps authorized under this section shall be mounted on the front at a height of not less than 12 inches nor more than 40 inches and aimed so that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high-intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle projects higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes, for a distance of 25 feet in front of the vehicle.
Maximum Number of Lamps

24405. (a) Not more than four lamps of the following types showing to the front of a vehicle may be lighted at any one time:

(1) Headlamps.

(2) Auxiliary driving or passing lamps.

(3) Fog lamps.

(4) Warning lamps.

(5) Spot lamps.

(6) Gaseous discharge lamps specified in Section 25258.

(b) For the purpose of this section each pair of a dual headlamp system shall be considered as one lamp.

(c) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any authorized emergency vehicle.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd12c2a2.htm

·
Administrator
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mbroadhe said:
What would determine if a Aux. light is a "auxillary driving lamp" or an "auxillary passing lamp"?
A driving lamp is intended for use with the high beams only, while a passing lamp can be lit with the high beams as well as the low beams.

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts

well here is my AUX lighting.
In Ontario u cant have any AUX lighting on AT anytime, I've got 3 tickets to prove it ($110 each 0 points)

1 - 20 of 710 Posts