Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

121 - 140 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
1997 forester manual
229 Posts
Went off road, it works like hell as long as 3 wheels touch the ground. When 2 wheels are in the air, I just pull the handbrake a little and the torque is transferred to the rear wheel with most grip and up I go...its fantastic !

·
Registered
04 XT Limited 4eat
150 Posts
Went off road, it works like hell as long as 3 wheels touch the ground. When 2 wheels are in the air, I just pull the handbrake a little and the torque is transferred to the rear wheel with most grip and up I go...its fantastic !
What model quaife did you use?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
18 Posts
Is a 3" lift too much? What else would I have to change if I do 3" spacers?

I know about the trailing arm bars from Sumo but I'm worried about the driveshaft length and operating angle. The CV JOINTS are not suppose to have more than 3-5 degrees of angle difference. And what about the cv axle length? Will they slide out all the way from the hub if I lift 3" and find myself in a full flex position?. Also worried and the bushings, I do know it'll take a toll on the suspension bushings because of the angle they'll be sitting at, but I plan on "resetting" their position when I get the lift on.

"Resetting their position" (in theory) with the vehicle in the air loosen the suspension bushings that flex upon the suspension flexing. Then lower the vehicle to ride height and tighten said loosened suspension bushing components.

I'm in a place where almost every Toyota truck in minimal 6 inches, and the trails here reflect it. Just hope the holes here don't swollow my Subie.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XS 5MT w/ dual range
230 Posts
^Lol I feel you, a lot of the trails where I go are really badly rutted out. Take advantage of your short wheels base and thinner wheel track, allows you to get up on the edges of the trail and ruts(though you will scratch your paint after a while if you don't wax if you're in bushy areas)

I believe that driveshaft and diffs are separate from the suspension, so will not be affect by lifting unless you install a body lift. It's mainly the CV's you want to worry about.

3" spacers is a big no go, it's just putting too much strain ontop of the struts. You're better off going for 2" spacers and raised coils, but even that is pushing it. 2" total is really the max you'd want to go before you start getting premature CV boot wear etc.

There are definitely people who have gone above 2" on this forum, and I will let them chime in. Most of them have no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R 5 EAT
478 Posts
Yeah, a total of 2" all included is also what seems to be the case on the Outback. My insurance, AAA, also said they have no issues with a small lift, which they said was up to 2" for them. I did not ask what happens above 2" since I had no plans to go there.

Since you have an AT XT you may get away with larger tires than all other models.

Also, your model Subaru is the best in terms of wheelbase and footprint, much better than the 2009+ Foz or my Outback.

So, as Almostunseen says, you can use that to your advantage. Typically, a truck with a long wheelbase would need a great deal more clearance than you do.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
18 Posts
3" spacers is a big no go, it's just putting too much strain ontop of the struts. You're better off going for 2" spacers and raised coils, but even that is pushing it. 2" total is really the max you'd want to go before you start getting premature CV boot wear etc.

There are definitely people who have gone above 2" on this forum, and I will let them chime in. Most of them have no issues whatsoever.
When installing spacers, where does the strut mount go? Between the body and spacer or under the spacer on top of the strut?
This method may have weak links in it to giving the top of the strut stability.... I don't know... That's why I'm on here discussing it with people that have done the lift mod and have seen what happens to 3" lifts... It seems possible, but would take some adjustments. Like using outback front cv axles because they're longer. Not sure.

The premature boot wear you speak of I think would have a simple fix to it. A larger boot for a different tri-plung axle or a longer axle. Once again I'm speaking "in theory", unknowing if there are parts that would fit.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yeah people have used different boots to solve that issue.
The 2" spacers have camber etc adjustment built in, so putting a spacer ontop of then negates them.
A strut spacer goes in-between the strut top and mounting plate on the car. This means you need longer studs(usually included) or the bigger spacers have studs built in I think.

·
Registered
230 Posts
if it serves me correctly @tintfreak on here has 3" spacers, king springs and XT struts on his SF(2002) forester
@AussiesFoz calculations for tintfreaks rig are:
"He's got a 3 inch strut top lift +3 inches
King raised springs? +1.5 inch
XT forester struts +.5-1 inch
Total lift if my numbers are right 5-5.5inches
"

·
Registered
1997 forester manual
229 Posts
3" strut lift without a body lift on a SF is too much.

You will have CV and steering issues up front.

Better go with a 2" strut lift and longer springs (King Springs, Ironman…) that will give you 3" lift (ground clearance) but only 2" droop.

·
Registered
2002 forester auto
115 Posts
i will have to respectfully disagree with you jf1sf5….
i have been running this set up since May 2014 with no issues at all with CV or steering at 11K miles….:wink2:
the rig also still handles quite well also.

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY FOLKS!!

·
Registered
1997 forester manual
229 Posts
You have 3"(7,7cm) blocks on top of your struts and no body lift and have no CV axle or steering issues ?

Hmmm, maybe the difference between phase 1 and phase 2 SF.

Happy Valentines too !

·
Registered
2015 Forester
8 Posts
The 4X4 switch provides full power to the solenoid that engages, locks, the rear wheels, 50/50 split between front and rear, mod is called 4 wheel drive on demand.
I just bought a 2015 2.5i Premium w/6 speed manual. I was told that this setup already did the 50/50 split but I am not sure on this. I just know that I love the 6 speed trans! I just need to find a simple lift and skid plate for a 2015.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Prem 6sp Manual
803 Posts
I just bought a 2015 2.5i Premium w/6 speed manual. I was told that this setup already did the 50/50 split but I am not sure on this. I just know that I love the 6 speed trans! I just need to find a simple lift and skid plate for a 2015.

Hey, Deserthi!
I like your name and your plans with the 2.5i 6spd :)
Primitive and Subtle both make lift kits for your '15 and Primitive has the best gear for protecting it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2005 FORESTER XT Auto
130 Posts
The 50-50 lockout switch is for 4EAT people; as far as I know, all MT Foresters have a 50-50 F-R torque spilt (ignoring the viscous center diff).
Ref - cars101.com (very useful site for most model years, but the info is elsewhere too).
Can someone point me to more information about this switch mod? Seems like everyone who's done it is very happy with the results. I've got an 04 XT. Mods to come:

Full STi turbo and TMIC swap
Catless up-pipe
Cobb Catted Downpipe
Cobb air intake kit
Walbro fuel pump kit
1" strut Tower Spacers - Gorilla Offroad
KYB GR-2 / Excel-G Struts
King Lift Springs
Trailing Arm Spacers 2" - Subtle Solutions
Transmission cooler
Oil catch can
Turbo inlet hose - Perrin
Toyo Open Country ATII 215/70-16
Roof Basket with full size spare and can mounts
Custom front light bar
Full primitive skid plates (front, tranny, diff)

May also consider an all aluminum radiator

Anything I'm missing? This is a daily driver, but I will be doing plenty of camping and wheeling on forest roads, etc here in Colorado.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R 5 EAT
478 Posts
Anybody done front bumper quick disconnects :crazy: :smile2: ?

Seriously, the way my front bumper is being re-shaped, I will have to consider buying a new one and switching bumpers twice a year (it is an easy job).

It would be nice to have the opportunity to switch between a normal and an off-road bumper in about the time it takes to switch from OE wheels and street tires to off-road wheels and tires:nerd:

121 - 140 of 203 Posts