Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

after reading the thread on Kevin's awesome off-road Forester and having recently purchased one that I'm intending to spend a bit of time in the dirt with I thought it might be a good idea to compile a list of the off-road mods that are avaiable for our cars, and the best order to do them in, so that those of us who are looking to kit out our cars for the dirt know where to start! I don't pretend to know a lot on the subject, so I'll start off with a few but it would be great if the more knowledgeable amongst you could add to it, and let me know if I'e got them in the right order! I've listed the mod, with it's ease of installation and approximate cost (in Aussie $) in brackets.

1: Alloy sump guard (easy DIY bolt-on, $350)
2: Transmission cooler (for autos only) (advanced DIY or minor workshop install, $150)
3: breather extensions for gearbox/diff (DIY, cheap)
4: All-terrain tyres (wide price range)
5: Centre diff lock and fan cut-of switches (intermediate DIY, <$10)
6: Strut lift ($500-$800?, int. workshop install)
7: Spring lift ($300, minor workshop install)
8: spotlights
9: Front bar ($2300)
10: Rear bar ($3500)
11: Off-road rims
10: Snorkel

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't forget a list for recovery gear.:biggrin:
I was only going to stick to mods, accessories deserve a thread all of their own!

But recovery gear should definitely be high on everyone's list, I was fortunate enough to inherit a full set from my in-laws as soon as we got our Foz!

Cheers for making the thread a sticky guys, was hoping that might happen but thought it might be a bit cheeky to ask.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
re recovery gear, I'd say a snatch strap, rated d-shackles and a shovel are a good place to start- thats what I've got anyway.

·
Administrator
11,772 Posts
I'd personally take an esky full of Coopers, but I like the cut of your gib!

Yeah, I'd take Coopers as well - Jeez, that goes without saying! :biggrin:

In fact the latest NSW Subie Club mag has my profile in it which states:

"Partner: Bundy & Coopers Red"

:icon_biggrin:

1 - 20 of 190 Posts