Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester X
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have searched and read many of these threads. I know this is an exhausted topic, so please don't be frustrated with my post.

Due to recent events, money is a little tight and I'm not sure how I'll be able to afford the complete 90k and 100k service. I'm at 95,000 miles right now and haven't had either service done.

I had the complete 60k service completed at the right time. My question is, if you were to select the most important fluids or services to do combining the 90k and 100k service, which would be your priority completions? I'll hopefully get them all done eventually, but for now, I have to select the most important. I want this car to run for a long time.

Thanks so much for bearing with me here...

G

·
You would probably be OK without changing the coolant, but the 105K timing belt and components servicing is critical.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
943 Posts
If I was in a position that you are in. I would have the 105k service done. Making sure the water pump, pulleys and tensioners are all changed and do an oil change. Then come back for the plugs(might be cheaper/easier to have done with timing belt) and other fluids when you can.
If the timing belt system goes, the additional cost is significant. Don't skip the water pump, pulleys or tensioners replacement(all though the dealer might say they don't need replacing), think big picture, long term.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, timing belt is huge here it sounds like. What's the typical dealer cost of this?

G

·
$900-$1200. It's expensive, but critical. Do make sure they replace the tensioner, idlers, and water pump as mentioned.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Depending on your skill level and other resources, you may be able to reduce your maintenance costs by DIY'ing some of the work. Changing filters, the engine oil, and the differential fluids, and rotating the tires are fairly easy chores to tackle.

HTH, and best of luck!
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
943 Posts
Where are you located? Do you have an independent shop around? I was pricing mine out and for a little over 1000(before tax), I can get both done at an independent shop.

·
Registered
2007 Forester SportsXT AT
1,613 Posts
If I could do it over again I would've done the 105k sevice at 90k. It hurts having back-to-back-to-back major services (90-105-120) so close together.

I seriously wonder if the services were staggered like that to put pressure on people to buy new.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
943 Posts
^^I agree with you dirteemac. Makes people think that they need a lot of work on their car, not to mention that they will probably need some type of brake work and maybe tires in that period too.
The shop that I use, recommends to push your 90k to 95k and do the timing belt at the same time.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS Manual
74 Posts
I work at an independent shop and I would say do the timing belt, water pump (which should include a coolant flush) all at the same time. Fuel filter is recommended to be changed every 30k but that is not as critical. Also spark plugs are due around where your at but those would be second on the list to the timing belt and water pump.
We have seen too many nice cars get wrecked because the timing water & water pump service was ignored. I have a ton of information at my finger tips with being a service manager so let me know if you have any questions!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts