Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FSTI dccd 6MT
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just before christmas my gearbox blew (lost 2nd gears teeth).
Thanks to the holidays i got it running again in the mid January. With my99-00 sti tranny and 4.444 rear diff.
Then ...1 and half weeks later crank bearing spun (thanks to the low oil level. Must check more often!) And now ofcourse my mechanic is in Thailand for 3 weeks.:icon_frown:

Now i'm planning to rebuild the block with CP pistons, ACL bearings, sti rods, nitraded spec c crank, 12mm high volume oilpump. And adding some gauges: Innovite wideband, turbo boost, oil pressure and oil temp.

Also found a great deal on 6speed blob sti gearbox setup (1200gbp for the lot) ..now will be doing the swap also.

Hope its worth the wait...
Other specs: [email protected], decatted 3" exhaust, 3port ebcs, 255lph scoobyworx pump, blobeye wrx intercooler and ecu road tune to ca 290whp.
In Autumn I drove 13.3 sec 1/4mile @163km/h. Lets see what the new setup will bring:cool:

·
Registered
2004 FSTI dccd 6MT
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well.. the setup will come what I've always wanted, but money-wise it's a murder to my bank account - ca 4.5-5k € in total

·
Registered
2004 FSTI dccd 6MT
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At first I planned to make the gearbox swap in spring and I was aware of the high oil consumption, engine rebuild was planned to summer/autumn. Now it came all at the same time.

·
Registered
2005 2.5 XTen & FSti Manual
730 Posts
Sometimes I wish mine would blow to give me the excuse to switch to 6 speed!

Sounds like you will end up with a great car. What would 290 WHP be at the crank?

·
Registered
2004 FSTI dccd 6MT
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sometimes I wish mine would blow to give me the excuse to switch to 6 speed!

Sounds like you will end up with a great car. What would 290 WHP be at the crank?
290whp actually I don't know how much the drivetrain loss is, 20%? If so, then 290/80*100=362,5 (hp on crank). If it's 15%, then 290/85*100=341,2 (hp on crank):confused:

I'll try to start a build thread.
Actually I hope my crankshaft is fine, would save me big money.

Video of the 13.3 sec run (my silly excuse is that I had really old tyres:)

·
Registered
2004 FSTI dccd 6MT
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What do you guys recon, how to break in an engine? There are lots of ways, but which is the "right" one?
I'm thinking of trying the "hard break in method" a'la [email protected] mototuneusa.com ?

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
Let it warm and cool gently. Don't lug it low down. Don't rev the spuds of it and gently increase the revs 500rpm every 200 miles for the first thousand miles.

after 1000 keep increasing the revs every 200 miles to you rev high enough.

·
Registered
2004 FSTI dccd 6MT
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Once you've started you can't stop. Thinking about vf22, at the moment my vf28 starts to build boost at 2k rpm and full boost (1.15 bar) is available at 2450rpm. How much later the vf22 would be kicking in?

·
Registered
2014 XE CVT
1,362 Posts
Yes, good to give it a lot of throttle without slogging at low revs or revving too high. Main thing is to avoid running for extended periods at the same revs, such as using cruise control.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts