Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

321 - 339 of 339 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yes, that is what I did in my 2010 and 2015, removed instrument cluster, then the speaker. On 2010 it was about 1/2" diameter black plastic and it popped right out of the circuit board when I used flat-bladed screwdriver underneath it and pried up gently. The solder just let go and it popped out quite easily, no damage to the through-hole solder points, therefore it or a replacement could easily be soldered back in, not that you'd want to. Its a computer speaker like comes on motherboards.
Thank you! I'll do that when I swap to the Touring cluster.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I separated the 2 conductor white connector under my seat and the chimes stopped. Also, no seat belt light on the dash. Fingers crossed that it doesn't disable the airbags.

·
Registered
169 Posts
To keep from having to go back and reading 20+ pages in the thread, is there an instruction someplace for turning off the seatbelt chime? Something about 20 clicks of something? thanks....

Edit - Never mind.... I found it...

·
Registered
633 Posts
I separated the 2 conductor white connector under my seat and the chimes stopped. Also, no seat belt light on the dash. Fingers crossed that it doesn't disable the airbags.
Eh, I wouldn't do that unless you chased the wires on a diagram to be sure that it doesn't involve the airbags.

Danorman, the answers for 20 click method and how to remove the buzzer are in this thread. :wink2::thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone successfully used the 20 click trick in a '19 and if so with what variation? I tried a few from this thread and had no luck.

Update: problem solved. I had the door open and the car "on" but not running.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hallelujah!! The 20 click method worked second try on my 07...can't believe I've put up with that incessant beeping for so long.

·
Registered
74 Posts
First post to the forum. My 2019 Forester is less than 48 hours old

Today I learned that disabling the chime is in the 2019 Owners Manual under "Function settings and adjustments performed by a dealer". Thought that tidbit might belong in this thread.

The list of dealer-addressable functions is worth reading if you haven't previously dug into it as there are some interesting options.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Welcome to the forum Boureesub. Interesting that Subaru is finally addressing all the stupid lights and buzzers, however I really like the end results of my buzzer deletion and painting black over certain LEDs and the inside of the cluster 'light-able' portions. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
@RawLand Update:

Page 166 in the 2019 user manual alludes to temporarily disabling the chimes. This sounds different than the table of functions that can be disabled, which appear to be permanent changes. Here's the text...
It is possible to cancel the warning operation that follows the 6-second warning after turning ON the ignition switch. When the ignition switch is turned ON next time, however, the complete sequence of the warning operation resumes. For further details about canceling the warning operation, please contact your SUBARU dealer.
I emailed my salesperson who replied today.
"I checked with my Service Department manager about canceling the seat belt warning. We are not allowed to do so and the system won't let us to do so too because of safety.
Have a wonderful day"
I'll speak to the service manager directly next.

·
Registered
74 Posts
"20 Click Method" works for 2019 Limited with EyeSight, StarLink, and Keyless Access.

I used the below method from @homey01 to disable my seat belt chimes since my Subaru dealer would not (even though the manual says they can in two different sections of the user manual).

Notes:
  • This disables both driver and passenger seat chiming, as well as the warning light.
  • @homey01 says turn the key to the "on" position. I pushed the start button with foot off the brake until it showed green; the keyless equivalent of "on". Similarly, I pressed the start button to turn things off (equivalent of removing the key).
  • I sat in the drivers seat for the entire process.
  • This worked temporarily the first time. I drove off without the seat belt and no chime, but when I pulled on the seat belt to put it on, the chime restarted.
  • Perhaps unrelated, the car did not recognize my keyless "key" and I could not lock the car the first time I stopped after successfully disabling the chime. I got back in and it then saw the key. I started the car, stopped it, and all is well.
  • Would prefer a few seconds of chime, then silence, but I'll take it.
  • StarLink Vehicle Health reports all systems are good!

·
Registered
633 Posts
@RawLand Update:

Page 166 in the 2019 user manual alludes to temporarily disabling the chimes. This sounds different than the table of functions that can be disabled, which appear to be permanent changes. Here's the text...

I emailed my salesperson who replied today.

I'll speak to the service manager directly next.
Gotta protect you from yourself and too many damn lawyers. :|

·
Registered
225 Posts
Can I turn off the seat belt dingger or do I still need to bring to dealer for this setting?

Update - Happy to report the 20 click method worked to disable the annoying seat belt chime on our 2019 Touring. I can now drive down the driveway with the mail in silence.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The salesman at my dealership did the 20 click method for me before I took possession, as I emailed early requesting the service tech handling it.

So, I get 5 tones as I start the Forester, then nothing more.

I asked the Subaru technology guy if I could end the 5 tones and was told no.

·
Registered
169 Posts
For those of us who do not have a key, can you post the instructions for the 20 click method? Every action starting from door open or closed and how it is finalized.

·
Registered
74 Posts
For those of us who do not have a key, can you post the instructions for the 20 click method? Every action starting from door open or closed and how it is finalized.
See my post #332 above with notes about not having a key and using the FOB.

homey01 said:

What disabled the chime for my car was:

1) With the drivers door open and leaving it open, turn the ignition switch to run. Turn it all the way to where you would before and without starting.

2) Push the seat belt latch in, let it click in and push the release, pull it out and repeat. Push in, click, release, reinsert and release 20 times within 30 seconds.

3) Turn off the ignition, remove the key and shut the door.

4) Reinsert the key and start the car. The chime will sound for a few seconds and the seatbelt light will flash and then go off. It will not keep chiming every 15-30 seconds and the seat belt light will not continue to flash.

·
Registered
169 Posts
See my post #332 above with notes about not having a key and using the FOB.

homey01 said:

What disabled the chime for my car was:

1) With the drivers door open and leaving it open, turn the ignition switch to run. Turn it all the way to where you would before and without starting.

2) Push the seat belt latch in, let it click in and push the release, pull it out and repeat. Push in, click, release, reinsert and release 20 times within 30 seconds.

3) Turn off the ignition, remove the key and shut the door.

4) Reinsert the key and start the car. The chime will sound for a few seconds and the seatbelt light will flash and then go off. It will not keep chiming every 15-30 seconds and the seat belt light will not continue to flash.
No Key ?????????? Anyone with a Key Less ignition?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sorry, I didn't see you no key comment - I'm still not used to this new hard to read for me format...... Does anyone prefer it?

321 - 339 of 339 Posts
About this Discussion
338 Replies
206 Participants
danornan
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing