Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

301 - 320 of 339 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the welcome! I checked through the whole thread and various other sites and didn't see this method working for the '18 Forester. I have EyeSight if that matters. I see the poster below me just disconnected the wires and it stopped so I'll give that a go. I don't care about my seat but don't want it to ding when I have something sitting on the passenger seat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
lol literally posted right before you. Any idea if the plug on the 18s is the same as the one in your member's journal?

·
Registered
15 Posts
It wasn't hard. I have the premium. On mine the drivers side is the only powered seat. It was easier on the drivers seat because you can raise it up so high. The touring may be easier if the passenger seat is motorized.

Put the seats all the way forward and up. Then look under the seat from the rear floorboard. If you're not limber, you're going to have problems.

Start by following the wires from the buckle to the connector under the seat (there are a few).

Second, unplug it. Now, the connector is mounted to a piece of metal. It's easier to pull it off the metal to unplug it.

I'll try to get a pic up soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Update. I haven't been able to figure out the passenger side without it being unsafe. If you disconnect the passenger side seat belt it will set off an alarm for the air bag.

Next idea, try to find a seatbelt extender. I'm a little apprehensive about using one. The only extenders I've found are from China. I have a hard time trusting in a Chinese part that is so vital to safety.

So...i don't know. At least the drivers side is quiet.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Could always buy cheap replacement or used seatbelt, cut the buckle off and plug it into the passenger side seatbelt receptacle. Not how I'd do it, not clean enough, I prefer get to the root of it and disconnect the wires or do it at the dash display circuit board. That's why I disassembled my dash and did same for the buzzer. Next time it's apart the led inside the dash will get a nice coating of black fingernail polish to cover the light. :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
I couldn't find any mention in this thread of someone disabling the chime but not the dash light. I personally do need a reminder to put the belt on but the flashing dash light is plenty. Couldn't you just disconnect the speaker under the dash?

·
Registered
16 Posts
20 click works on my new Forester `18.
This chime didn't really bother me in my `17 Forester, but in `18 it didn't stop even after I stopped the car! Anyway, now it's nice and quite ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, I read all thread and was almost sure it wouldn't work for me either, but decided to try. I was surprised, actually ;) I did it for both, driver and passenger seatbelts and, as I mentioned above, it worked. So it worth to try for everyone who wants this chime gone.

It not only disabled the chime, but also disabled seatbelt icons for both, driver and passenger - so no any clue if one doesn't use seatbelt.
I bought this Forester just a week ago if this matters.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Does anyone know where the physical alarm is? I would like to put a piece of tape to muffle it instead of turning it off. (2014-2018)
The chime is mounted on the back of the speedo/tach gauge cluster. Since the chime is soldered and glue on yeah just taping over the chime speaker with some foam tape really quiets it down and was enough for me.

Disable key in ignition/ door open warning chime

·
Registered
633 Posts
I couldn't find any mention in this thread of someone disabling the chime but not the dash light. I personally do need a reminder to put the belt on but the flashing dash light is plenty. Couldn't you just disconnect the speaker under the dash?
Yes, that is what I did in my 2010 and 2015, removed instrument cluster, then the speaker. On 2010 it was about 1/2" diameter black plastic and it popped right out of the circuit board when I used flat-bladed screwdriver underneath it and pried up gently. The solder just let go and it popped out quite easily, no damage to the through-hole solder points, therefore it or a replacement could easily be soldered back in, not that you'd want to. Its a computer speaker like comes on motherboards.

2015 model it's located in same spot but is about 1" diameter and much more solidly soldered to the circuit board. I used channel-lock slip-joint pliers and crushed the black plastic cover, revealing the speaker diaphragm and tiny wire windings insided. Unraveled all the very thin wire inside the speaker, then snipped off both male solder pins that the wire attached to, making them flush level with the black plastic base of the speaker. Then I used dab of ShoeGoo over the whole speaker base to cover the remaining flushly cut off speaker contacts. :)

Does anyone know where the physical alarm is? I would like to put a piece of tape to muffle it instead of turning it off. (2014-2018)
Back of instrument cluster as mentioned and that would mute it somewhat. :)

kōbai-iro;7433543 said:
The chime is mounted on the back of the speedo/tach gauge cluster. Since the chime is soldered and glue on yeah just taping over the chime speaker with some foam tape really quiets it down and was enough for me.

Disable key in ignition/ door open warning chime
Yes! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 20 click trick worked on the XT?? How does this not work on the Black Edition. It's driving me nuts that this can't be turned off. I wear my seat belt all the time other than when I'm getting my mail or throwing away the garbage at my apartment complex.

Update - I tried a bunch of times. I've done it multiple times on my STi so I know I'm doing the process correctly. I'll try it again.

Update - Still no dice. Tried it with the engine running and off, door open/closed. Nothing seems to work. I don't know why the black edition would be different :shrug:

Success - Finally got this to work on my '18 black edition. Got mad at it and tried about 5 times, turning the car on and off each time. A couple of the times I did over 20 clicks but lost count. Didn't think it worked since the seat belt light stayed on when I started the car the last time. The next day upon leaving work I noticed there was no seat belt light when I had the car running. Drove it out of the parking lot with no seat belt and no chime! Glad to have this annoyance shut off. Ridiculous that it will keep chiming even if you put the car in park. (and yes I wear my seat belt. only time I don't is when I'm getting the mail from my apartment complex office)

·
Registered
55 Posts
haha it worked on my first try. kinda lost track of the counting around 15 so I did an extra one or two to make sure. Give it another try! I like to cruise out to the main street until I buckle up. Gotta get the radio, cup holder and sunglasses on check first.

301 - 320 of 339 Posts
About this Discussion
338 Replies
206 Participants
danornan
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing