Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

281 - 300 of 339 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
20 Click Method Confirmed

I tried the 20 Click method on my new 2016 Forester 2.5i and it worked perfectly first time! Thanks members!

·
Registered
633 Posts
I haven't got time to tear into my 2016 dash yet and physically remove the buzzer and AC auto defrost dealio...has anybody else? I did this on my 2010 and it was pure bliss all the time, door open, radio on, seat on/off etc.! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the useful information. The 20-click method worked on my 2016 2.5i manual the first time. To recap for those who don't want to search, sit in car with door closed, turn key to accessory position and after once initial chimes stopped - couple seconds - fasten and disengage seatbelt 20 times within 30 seconds then remove key.

Curious about something, though. In my car, the chime only came on once I was moving at about 5mph. Did it come on for older models just having the ignition on or the car running?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I like to fix things once, so I just did my 2015 Forester the same way I did my 2010. Removed center console with the three climate control knobs, this pries out starting at the top using a plastic pry tool (I used stiff metal putty knife and gasket scraper, just be gentle) unplug hazard switch plug at top and two harness plugs near the bottom, disconnect both ventilation control cables under the dash. Remove four screws that hold climate knob section to the front panel, remove both cables from the controls (makes it easier to work with), remove 6 small phillips screws from front side of knob panel, pry the front and back black plastic halves apart carefully (there are six ballpoint pen sized springs inside that hold the three knobs forward in the bezels and spring back when pushing for AC, rear defrost and recirculate) these can fall out, but are easily re-positioned over the plastic locating pins. The vent selector knob has an eccentric cam on the back that depresses a tiny smt (surface mount) micro switch to turn the AC on when windshield defrost is selected, I used a pair of electronics flush cutters to remove it, cleaned up with sharp X-Acto knife, and made sure with a drop of CA glue in the switch (so it will never move even if the spring dies). Reverse reassembly and enjoy any ventilation setting you want with or without AC and heat!

I also did the door buzzer while I was at it. Remove two phillips screws under the gauge cluster shade (at the top), then pull out the trim bezel piece starting at the bottom (it's held on by the two screws and a couple plastic clips), then remove the four screws holding the instrument cluster in, unplug the one large wiring harness plug at upper right corner and remove the cluster. Carefully depress the plastic tabs, remove the front lense/bezel, then do the same and remove the white plastic backside. Careful when you do this, as the tach and speedo needles are exposed on the front side, at this point this is all that holds the instrument pcb (printed circuit board) to the plastic frame and face. On the backside of the pcb in the upper right corner is the beeper/speaker, I used flush cutters to slowly and carefully cut the outer black plastic off, removed the thin metal speaker, removed the fine as hair green voice-coil wires (wound up in a tight circle at the center under the metal disc), then flush cut the two solder posts (one at each side) inside the speaker. Then I coated the exposed metal with ShoeGoo to seal it against any short just in case, probably unnecessary as nothing can touch it unless it somehow gets inside everything we took apart, but good idea anyways. Then reassemble in reverse and enjoy peace and quiet. I was going to remove the led that lights the seatbelt warning too, but didn't feel like pulling gauge needles the other night. I will take it apart again and reach in with small modellers paint brush and paint the one LED black to take care of the light. This is easily undone with a bit of paint remover, but I won't be undoing it. :)

I was going to de-solder and remove it from the pcb like I did on my 2010, but 2015 is twice as big, has lots of metal inside and was glued to the pcb in addition to the solder. I didn't want to damage the pcb accidentally, so I just left it as it's already deactivated.

Pics to come.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What disabled the chime for my car was:

1) With the drivers door open and leaving it open, turn the ignition switch to run. Turn it all the way to where you would before and without starting.

2) Push the seat belt latch in, let it click in and push the release, pull it out and repeat. Push in, click, release, reinsert and release 20 times within 30 seconds.

3) Turn off the ignition, remove the key and shut the door.

4) Reinsert the key and start the car. The chime will sound for a few seconds and the seatbelt light will flash and then go off. It will not keep chiming every 15-30 seconds and the seat belt light will not continue to flash.

I tried everyone's recommendation including the dealers and they did not work.

I had tried turn on ignition to run, hold the seat belt release down and push the belt clip in and out of the latch 20 times in 30 seconds and then turn the car off. DID NOT WORK

Someone had posted about keeping the door open through the proceedure, and actually clicking it in and then pushing the release and repeating 20 times in 30 seconds, and this is what seemed to make the difference and work on my car model and year.:woohoo:
Thank you! Tried all the various methods you did before searching the forum and finding your post.

I can verify this works for 2017 as well.

I have a very long gravel driveway and then a long gravel private road, and I always put my seatbelt on at the end of the private road, before entering the public road, to keep my seatbelt from locking unnecessarily and causing discomfort and annoyance. Chimer was just as, or more annoying, though!

You have saved my sanity, my friend!

Sent from my MotoX using Tapatalk

·
Foz Addict
121 Posts
I just learned the 20 click method will reset to annoyance if your battery voltage drops beyond a certain point. It (apparently) doesn't have to go all the way dead to do this, as if my car with its shot battery sits for a week, it's back to my dis-favorite beeper. Not that the 20 click method is a PITA (when you can hold the belt release open and insert/pull 20 times)...

Actually, I think it's the way Subaru engineers decided to let me know that my 5 year old battery just may need to be replaced... --grins--

·
Registered
35 Posts
I did the 20 Click method on my 2017 Forester 2.5i. Hurray!

One question...Does this also include the passenger side, too?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 2017 Forester. The 20 click method works for disabling the seat belt chime. Wife is mad that I disabled it. I tired doing it again several times to re-enable. Anyone know how to set it back to chime? If I disconnect the battery I am sure that will work, but worried that might cause more problems and will have to re-program. Thoughts?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I hate that annoying beeping. I did the 20 click thing and it certainly helped but I wasn't satisfied. The chime comes on almost before you can get your seatbelt on!!! I don't need a chime to remind me to wear my seltbelt. Here's how to end it forever and it takes a minute. If you pull down the rubber on the seatbelt you'll notice two sets of wires going to the seatbelt. They both travel in the same housing from the seatbelt to under the seat where it splits in two. One goes to a yellow clip (which I think has something to do with airbag/seatbelt tensioner ???). The othe is a white clip with yellow ends and that simply controls the seatbelt light and and chime. It's as easy as unclipping a clip and NO MORE DING< DING< DING!!!! Enjoy......

Here is the split of the wire housing into two under the seat.
No photos are in the thread, could you repost them or anyone who has done this and can post a couple photos?

Here is the yellow connector for saftey devices. And the sinister connector in the background.

Here she is!!!!! Disconnect it and enjoy peace and quiet!!

► Edit - moderator's note - the image on this post is not recoverable. :frown:

Bobby...
No photos are in the post, could you repost them or anyone who has done this and can post a couple photos?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone with a European spec Forester been able to do this. I have tried and failed miserably.
My seatbelt chime doesn't come on until I am driving over 10mph without wearing the seat belt. It then keeps chiming until I fasten my seatbelt, even when I get out of the car to close the driveway gates. Very annoying.

@peejay49, any luck on this? I have the same problem with european SJ and 20 method did not work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone gotten this to work in a '18 Forester? I just got a black edition and the 20 buckle trick doesn't work. I don't want to start unplugging connectors. Just want the chime to stop if I have something sitting on the passenger seat.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
35,234 Posts
@corywf I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Members with a '17 have reported the "20 click method" works. Jump back one page on this thread & peruse the posts. :wink:

also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

281 - 300 of 339 Posts
About this Discussion
338 Replies
206 Participants
danornan
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing