Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dang did you guys see this?

The Ady Gil (the cool looking black speed trimaran) got rammed by a Japanese whaling ship:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dXCR9LX-Kc&feature=related

Another view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbuq0YEIPNU&feature=related

And here's probably why:
(Ady Gil crossed the path of the Japanese whaling ship with a line in tow [this method is used to jam propellers and rudders])

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMmpGm5Z1ik&feature=related

And some flashbang action!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clI0kmTWKYs&NR=1&feature=fvwp

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
Those aholes rammed the fishing trawler, not the other way around.. too bad they didnt sink faster

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those aholes rammed the fishing trawler, not the other way around.. too bad they didnt sink faster
Or that I really don't know lol. I'll let them duke out who did what but that vid looks like the Japanese whaler made a hard to starboard just before the collision.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
The Japanese whaling "research" program is total BS. It is commercial whaling. When I lived in Japan whale meat was not tough to find, it is not very good, and it only seemed to be ordered by really old people who may have grown up with it.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
LOL , research. Hmm, let me research some Bald eagle, panda and a little rhino horn. Ever heard of "observing" an animal in the wild to do research ?

Honestly I'm suprised Greenpeace doesn't start making their own torpedoes and sinking the ships. I'm not tree hugger but it looks to me the trawler took advantage of being close and smacked them one.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
In NASCAR, that's called racin'! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
Greenpeace are Eco terrorists and deserve what they got. I mean come on now its a big boat they just don't turn on a dime, theres no way to quickly swerve. The bat boat on the other hand is a small in comparison speed boat and should have know not too get close yet deliberately tried to speed in front of the trawler and just plain f'd up. ill bet thats the last time they let Al Gore drive. :Banane35:

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Greenpeace are Eco terrorists and deserve what they got. I mean come on now its a big boat they just don't turn on a dime, theres no way to quickly swerve. The bat boat on the other hand is a small in comparison speed boat and should have know not too get close yet deliberately tried to speed in front of the trawler and just plain f'd up. ill bet thats the last time they let Al Gore drive. :Banane35:
They're actually not Greenpeace and Greenpeace does not condone their actions. If I remember correctly, the founder of this organization was kicked out of/resigned from Greenpeace because he was too radical. But I get what you're getting at. Yeah, they probably should have been smarter and just stayed their distance.

If you check all the videos (except 4), they actually stopped starboard of the whaling ship, not directly in front of it. Video 2 shows the whaling ship turning starboard, most likely due to the direction of the waves. But having been around boats, I understand how you can easily drift any direction that isn't directly in front of you.

Playing a game of chicken w/a much larger vessel = not smart. Yield to tonnage or pay the price. Neoshi, thanks for those vids.
Steve
09 2.5X AT
For sure! Glad you enjoyed them! And I sure could have used that boat (Ady Gil) for more useful purposes... SF.ORG meet anyone??!! :D

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

Yep, they've rammed them before. It's like destruction derby on the high seas! :biggrin:

That split screen is up to interpretation. I still see the Japanese whaling ship turning starboard @ 0:10 (prior to 0:10, it was facing the camera directly, at 0:10-0:11, it is facing the Ady Gil), though the Ady Gil is drifting forward, as you can see her wake at the outboard trimaran hulls as the whaling ship approaches. At the speed that the whaling ship was going, it is pretty damn hard to turn. Legally, the whaling ship is also supposed to give way to the Ady Gill too, as it is already forward of its bow. *Wait strike that--smaller boats must move right? I can't remember the laws too well.. only read them once when two of our boats collided once (very lightly and no damage whewph)* But like I said, at their speed, and the intensity of the waves, it would not be unusual for the whaling ship to have veered from its original heading. It did turn port shortly before the collision after all, and we all know inertia played its part there.

I blame both for playing chicken too closely, though I'd say that the whaling ship had more time to turn. The Ady Gil would have been in more danger if its Captain had decided to power the boat forward or even quickly starboard, as it would have likely entered straight into the whaling ship's heading.

·
Registered
2004 2.5XT - Cobb Stage 2
565 Posts
I don't like the whaling.. I respect the overall mission of the Sea Shepard.. but man are they a big ole group of idiots..

The Japanese whaling fleet is in big trouble now, Bob Barker is a supporter of the Sea Shepards, he is going to fly down there and spay or neuter everyone in the whaling fleet.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
overall ..

The Japanese whaling fleet is in big trouble now, Bob Barker is a supporter of the Sea Shepards, he is going to fly down there and spay or neuter everyone in the whaling fleet.
If I'm not mistaken, the Ady Gil owes its existence to a $5 million donation from Bob Barker. Hope he's enjoying these vids. Sea shepherds should ask Bob to put his money where his wallet is, tho: let him ride the bowspit on the next ramming attempt. I could respect that...
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2004 2.5XT - Cobb Stage 2
565 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the Ady Gil owes its existence to a $5 million donation from Bob Barker. Hope he's enjoying these vids. Sea shepherds should ask Bob to put his money where his wallet is, tho: let him ride the bowspit on the next ramming attempt. I could respect that...
Steve
09 2.5X AT
Actually the $5 mil he donated went to a mid sized boat similar I think to the harpoon ships the Japanese use. The video of the Ady Gil being rammed (the one where it looks like the Japanese ship turned) was filmed from the Bob Barker.. I don't know exactly how they came about to acquire the Ady Gil, all I know is it was formerly used to go around the world.

Either way, Bob is going to be pissed.. you saw how he messed up Happy Gilmore, those Japanese don't stand a chance :icon_razz:

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,184 Posts
I like what the shepherds are doing if they are morons in how they go about it sometimes. That being said, they have drawn a load of attention to the issue and caused the whalers a lot of financial hardship, which is their goal.

For those that don't watch the show, that boat that hit the speedboat is a harpoon vessel, not a trawler. While it is large, it is also very fast for a ship it's size and highly maneuverable. It's is designed to chase down and harpoon whales, so it can turn pretty quickly.

They are stupid for sitting there in the speedboat without moving, but you can clearly see the harpoon vessel make a hard starboard turn at the last moment. You can tell by the footage from the bow of Japanese ship that the smaller boat was simply idling. You don't see any wake or rush of water from their motors until the harpoon ship is already on top of them on a collision path and they probably tried to move at the last second.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,184 Posts
Honestly, after watching that video from afar again, I don't know how anything is open to interpretation. You can clearly see the harpoon ship make a hard starboard turn, so hard the ship is leaning over.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts