Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first Forester in May of 2003 used with 41K miles on it from Subaru of Gwinnett here in Georgia. She's a 2001 L in beautiful Blue Ridge Pearl and had been well cared for before I got it.

Here we are at the dealership, the car was a young and I was a sort of young 53. (Check out that rare Yellow '03 WRX behind us)

It didn't take long before the mods and upgrades started. Wheels, gauges, swaybars, WRX front brakes taught me how fun and easy it was to mix and match parts on Subarus.

It was great choice for my first Subaru because other that an O2 sensor and a few split axle boots it never gave us any trouble. In 2008 with about 142K we decide to give her to our new daughter in law to replace a really bad Hyundai she had. She drove it until last month when she bought a new car and gave the Forester back to us with 208K!

So, now we have our first Forester back and after I replaced both front axles (another boot tear and a bad shudder under load) it drives perfectly. I can hardly believe just how good this car feels. I'm going to have the head gaskets replaced just because there's a pretty good oil leak from the oil separator cover and it's time for a cam belt and tensioners. With those items done we can rack up another 50-100K on her before we finally get a new(er) car.

I'll fill in some of the more interesting parts of the "Blueberry's" history and progress in future posts but for now I'm just happy to have her back.

Today in the rain with 208K

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
Welcome back!

Blueberry still looks like new after having 208K miles... definitely has been treated well its entire life!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,713 Posts
You don't know how lucky you are that the Head gaskets have not failed. Do not delay having them done and all the idlers, tensioners and water pump done also.

I have never heard on all this stuff lasting this long on an EJ engine.

Mine (08) goes in for head gaskets this week and the TB, WP, idlers and Tensioner have been replaced.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't know how lucky you are that the Head gaskets have not failed. Do not delay having them done and all the idlers, tensioners and water pump done also.

I have never heard on all this stuff lasting this long on an EJ engine.

Mine (08) goes in for head gaskets this week and the TB, WP, idlers and Tensioner have been replaced.
Since around 60K I started using the coolant conditioner and added some every time the coolant was changed. Great luck I suppose. I did the original belt, idlers and WP at 104K so she's due for them again now.

Hey my 1000th post! It should be about 1,450 posts but the early ones got lost in the great server crash of '06.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts