Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a long time Subaru admirer and decided my first car was going to be an Outback or a Forester. After driving both the decision was easy. I bought a Jasper Green 2020 Limited. I have worked as a special effects fabricator and prop builder for many years and have worked on a variety of cars but never my own so I have decided to document alterations.

First mods have been simple ones. Chrome delete of the grille and swapping the foglight bezels with the matte black convenience versions. (shout out to patricksmith04 for his post/tutorial on this)

I removed the grille and hit the chrome with a coat of Duplicolor Shadow which I didn't really like. I decided to use the Duplicolor as a prime coat and then I sprayed 2 coats of Rustoleum flat black on top. It is holding up and it looks factory as far as I can tell. I like the sport grille better but I couldn't justify spending 500 bucks. (everything is more expensive in Canada) Regardless I am happy with the results.

I then installed Aero bars and found a small cargo carrier from a Nissan Murano on Kijiji. I'm not in love with the Nissan cargo carrier but I will use it for the time being. I filled up some jerry cans (because apocalypse) and threw them up there.

I installed Rokblox mud guards. I may be crazy but I swear the car sounds different now. The portion that sticks out has almost no mud on them, I am considering drilling new holes and shifting them over so there is no additional drag. Honestly if I could do it all over again I would just order some ABS sheet and cut my own but live and learn.

I purchased a 2" lift kit from Readylift but I am not 100% sure if I will install it. Still on the fence about that but leaning towards it.

And I will be installing the AEM Cold Air Intake. The biggest negative review of the 2020 Forester was its acceleration so this will mitigate that.

I am also tinkering with a custom carrier at the back. This car was not meant for towing but I want the ability to put a bike carrier or tire/cargo carrier if needed. My plan is to bolt a rig to the impact bar with the receiver protruding through the tow hook cavity. I have looked at pictures but I don't know if I can do this until I take the back bumper cover off. Input from the community would be appreciated.
greenbastardfront.jpeg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So sometime between posting this and going to my Forester this morning someone backed into it. Scratched the front fender and slightly stabbed the drivers side headlight cover. The scratches were a couple mm deep. When I got to work I prepped and bondo'd it. Going to paint it tomorrow. Looks like I will be installing a bushbar/bullbar as well.

·
Registered
2019 canadian convenience
249 Posts
So sometime between posting this and going to my Forester this morning someone backed into it. Scratched the front fender and slightly stabbed the drivers side headlight cover. The scratches were a couple mm deep. When I get to work I prepped and bondo'd it. Going to paint it tomorrow. Looks like I will be installing a bushbar/bullbar as well.
i feel your pain. Mine is 4-5 months old, and my car shleter moved and rubbed its screws on it 3 weeks ago :mad:

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
186 Posts
Get some bumper guards and wrap pool noodles around them! That way you're protected and ready for summer.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport CVT
21 Posts
can't wait to see how your mods turn out. keep us posted. I'm also a new Subaru owner currently making my wish list and picking where to start with our build. bummer on the recent dings, not cool!
Cat

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Base - Magnetite Gray Metallic
174 Posts
It's green alright!! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Finally got around to insulating the hood and engine cavity. Bought insulation on amazon and it was just enough to do the job. Filled in under the heat shield and then reattached the shield. Then applied a layer over everything. Chased the hood with a gasket as well. (also purchased on amazon. Filled in the corners around the hinges. The entire process took a gingerly 90 minutes.

The last week I was measuring decibels with an app I downloaded on my way home from work. The highest I got it to was almost 75 when accelerating. Today after the install the highest it would get to was 71 and change. So a reduction of around 3-4 decibels. That doesn't sound like a lot but it is noticeable when talking in the car. The whole process cost about 80$ (Canadian) super easy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am making body armour for my XJ with ABS sheet and decided to make a deflector for the roof rack. I plan on blacking out the fasteners. It is a slightly steeper pitch than the windshield. Put some rubber edge trim on the bottom and apart from a tiny part in the middle it is form fitting.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 2020 limited and there was a blank button so I had to fill it with something. I found some footwell lighting at Walmart. Hawged out the blank to insert the new button, extended the one lead and installed it. Took about an hour because of the wiring.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finished the brackets and installed, I think down the road I will design something and make a sleeker bracket. With some more modifications it could sit a bit higher.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts