Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 800 miles away from it right now, but I got a call last night that it was having some severe hesitation and the CEL was flashing.

My question is, does the ECU store DTC's that can be pulled at a later date... say a couple days later? Parents parked the car and likely won't get it to AutoZone to get the code read (since I'm not there to do it) until Tuesday. I'm suspecting an O2 sensor let go, the MAF sensor is bad, or the coil pack is going. Engine has just under 160,000 miles on it (MY'05 XS L.L.Bean Edition).

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bruce!

Yeah Bobby, it does suck. lol If I didn't need it for the post swap startup and breakin, I'd just send it back to TN for them to pull the code.

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
It should store not only the code but also everything that was happening when the code is set. For a type A fault (flashing CE light) it will store freeze frame data which could help you with an idea of what happened.

·
Registered
01 Forester "S" (FS)
518 Posts
10 to 1, hesitation + Flashing CEL in many cases = Misfire on one of the cylinders. Had very similar thing happen to my mom's foz. Cylinder 3 misfire.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I have my bet on. Probably the coil pack or a plug wire. Or a plug... but they were replaced 20k ago. I guess it could be time to do them again.

·
Registered
01 Forester "S" (FS)
518 Posts
That's what I have my bet on. Probably the coil pack or a plug wire. Or a plug... but they were replaced 20k ago. I guess it could be time to do them again.
Were the gaskets replaced with the plugs? That was the cause of the issue I described above. The gaskets were old, engine would misfire, as it warmed up it expanded and the issue would go away, until next cold start.

So it may not be the plugs, especially if they were replaced 20k ago, most are good through 70k if not more even if rated bellow that.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,515 Posts
I had something like that happen on the '03 X. I found some of the pins on the coil pack wiring plug were corroded. It was easy to clean & coat with dielectric grease. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Cam position sensor maybe?

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Were the gaskets replaced with the plugs? That was the cause of the issue I described above. The gaskets were old, engine would misfire, as it warmed up it expanded and the issue would go away, until next cold start.

So it may not be the plugs, especially if they were replaced 20k ago, most are good through 70k if not more even if rated bellow that.
Gaskets? Which ones? The little O-rings on the plugs? If so, yes, they were replaced.

The issue occurs when the engine is fully warmed up, as far as I have been told. It first manifested itself on I-40 at 75mph on the way back from Dallas on Thursday, with the cruise set. Engine stumbled, cruise kicked off like it should, the engine ran fine for a bit, then stumbled every once in a while. Started hesitating at stoplights, etc after that until they got it home.

I had something like that happen on the '03 X. I found some of the pins on the coil pack wiring plug were corroded. It was easy to clean & coat with dielectric grease. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]
I'll have mom check that. Thanks for the tip. :smile: She can do whatever it takes to fix it, she just doesn't know how to find out what exactly is wrong on a computer controlled engine yet. She's the one who taught me how to rebuild a small block Chevy. :biggrin:

Cam position sensor maybe?
We'll see. Guess I'll find out when they get me that code. :lol:

Should we place bets? lol

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
I'll second Bobby's answer, especially if it happens on cold engine and can be validated by mist test.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,969 Posts
Read the code! Everything else is just a guess.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^hence my suggestion of betting! :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts