Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

401 - 420 of 3202 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 4EAT
362 Posts
Im actually hoping to fit 2 or 3 60mm Defi gauges in there with the controller. I have a piece of 1/2 inch plastic from work with the framing to make it "shadowboarded" and plan to install a clear yet lightly tinted piece of plexi over the opening on a trick hinge....that was a mouthfull!
Sounds to me like you have it figured out. :cool:

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Since the photo above sucks, here are a couple slightly better.

Notice how I set the panel back into the opening.

I then took the oem radio mounting brackets and bent them like below for a mounting surface.

Next up is to drill the holes and then cover the part with ??? Im open to suggestions on on. After that I need to figure out a way to secure the Plexiglas cover I made to cover the entire opening.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Today was an exciting day so far. I set out with the goal of building the gauge rack. My plan was to make it Removable so I can remove it if I need to. I used the oem radio brackets and bent them inward for mounting points. They were bent outwards earlier but that proved to be the wrong direction for the materials I had on hand.

I must also note that I am using Gorilla glue for now to hold the plastic together and 4 small screws to mount the plastic to the radio brackets. Note to self, Gorilla glue will bond skin.....yikes.

Onto the photos.

Here you can see how its attached.

Note the screws slightly sticking thru the plastic. This will be covered by some sort of wrap so its no big deal.

A couple random shots of the mount so far.

Stay TUNED for further updates. Next up is to drill the gauge holes, cut the controller hole and work on the cover.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Another update, its been a busy day. I took Bobby's advice and grabbed a pencil and paper and drew up what I wanted to do.

Then I drilled out the holes and finished fitting the holder in place behind the dash cover. I chose not to angle it since the view from the drivers seat is really good.

And my view

Im off to work on the stealth cover. Photos of it will be up tomorrow.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Since I have been teasing everyone who follows my journal here is yet another teaser. I mounted the Lexan and kinda threw it all together for a couple photos. My 1st impression is that it looks badass. The lightly smoked glass makes the opening look less out of place compared to nothing, and I will bet the gauges can still be seen.

I still have to mount the magnetic catches and cover the pod with something as well as wire up the gauges and install everything. Here are a couple photos showing how it looks. I will say it looks 100x better in person.

Flash

No flash

Door shut

Door open

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 4EAT
690 Posts
Great job!
When I posted the diagram I thought you were going to use 1/8" or less lexan but this looks much better!

401 - 420 of 3202 Posts