Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following a relatively wet season, vs. years of drought, we are now experiencing a gopher invasion (the Carlsbad area is offering $6 bounty, with just the tail being sufficient proof).

Anyway, I'm gonna gas them critters with Foz exhaust from one tailpipe, via a 2-½" flex hose stuffed into a burrow, while plugging the other exhaust pipe. Assuming running at idle for about 10-20 minutes, does anyone know if I might be killing the Foz vs. the gophers?

BTW, I've already tried drowning, ammonia, bleach (or both, to produce deadly gas), all to no effect. I now have renewed respect for the survival talent of gophers, but gopher traps will be the last resort.

BTW#2: we're on 3 acres, and have lived with gophers and other critters for many years, but this particular invasion is only a few feet from the house, near cable, water, and electrical lines.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Do you or someone you know own a portable generator? A portable generator might produce more emissions(gopher killing power) than a PZEV vehicle and it wouldn't be as big of a deal if you blew it up from to much back pressure, plus it's portable.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Don't know about the cost but you might want to look into one of those big vacuum trucks built to suck them all out. Humane because it doesn't kill them and they can be transplanted somewhere else. Or....you can just shoot them....

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, for those killer suggestions. Quadrozontal, I've always wanted a portable generator as backup for our well, but we've never been without power for too long, and I hate to borrow. It had not occurred to me about the PZEV being less lethal. If that's the case, then maybe our V6 Tacoma?

Chucker, you're reading my mind, except maybe a pellet gun? Might also help with the noisy Ravens on our metal roof, without killing them.

Hacksaw, I wasn't aware of vacuum trucks either, not sure of any around here, unless I could arrange a "twofer" from our septic service. And shooting them is definitely an option, except they are super shy and very quick.

OK: no one says (yet) that using the semi-plugged exhaust will cause vehicle damage, I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I recently moved to California and shortly after we moved in our yard was invaded by gophers. I tried gassing them out (used my wife's car though) and flooding them out. I bought over a dozen of the traditional style pincer traps. Over the course of 2 months, none were effective.

I finally found a product/device called the "Gopherhawk"

It is the only thing that worked and it is remarkable easy to use as it is effective. Easy to place with no real digging, instant kill, positive ID of kill, and no mess disposal. Using it actually became kind of an adult version of whack-a-mole for me. We've had two gopher invasions and using Gopherhawks I've killed 3 and 2 critters respectively within about 1-2 weeks after first sighting them.

Needless to say, I now own 6 Goperhawks. I really only have that many so that as soon as I see the first hole, I plant them with a "fire for effect strategy". Good luck and happy hunting.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally found a product/device called the "Gopherlawk"...
It is the only thing that worked and it is remarkable easy to use as it is effective. Easy to place with no real digging, instant kill, positive ID of kill, and no mess disposal...
Thanks for that tip and the strong recommendation. $33 a pop at Amazon seems a bit steep, but if it is as effective as you say, I may try it vs the older style traps.

Hacksaw, I suppose trying Seafoam won't hurt my Foz if it is running perfectly O.K.? I've never had occasion to try the stuff, and I hate to fix it if it ain't broke. Also, the local forest rangers may have a heart attack. I'd have to alert them first.

Thanks again everyone. If the weather cooperates today I'll try the exhaust first, then I guess go shopping on line.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Sorry, but I think this thread is very distasteful,really. I understand your problem with animal pests,but this gassing and various other ideas on how to kill an animal are inhumane. The best most humane
idea was shooting with a 22 rifle. I know I will take some heat for my
opinions,but I disagree with these discussions! ed

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, but I think this thread is very distasteful...
No argument Ed; the reason for posting was to learn if semi-plugging the exhaust at idle might cause engine problems, and 'though I got some very good advice on other options for gophers, I never got an answer to the original question. But, I did enjoy the discussion!

Anyway, my problem is solved (probably temporarily): the gopher was dispatched a few hours ago with a second try with a water hose, followed by my size 12's. It was quick.

Thanks again to everyone for their ideas. Jon

·
Registered
45 Posts
$33 is definitely high. I paid $25 each for each one I bought in the last year, so I'm not sure why the price went up. Even now owning 6 of them, compared to the cost and/or time value of money/effort/cleanup, the goperhawk beats all of them. That also certainly includes using an exterminator. I literally started laughing at their price quotes.

With respect to being humane, the gopherhawk is just humane, if not more so than a bullet. It snaps their neck instantly as it has a very strong spring.

·
Premium Member
8,073 Posts
We had a bad infestation of gophers on the property up north about 7-10 years ago, adjacent to a buddies house/land and his is next to a plot of land of another neighbor of mine. Between the 3 plots there's 130 acres. The worst of the infestation was around the barn/garden/shed where at one point he counted almost 50 holes.

Our buddy who lives up there tried for weeks with all sorts of traps and methods. In the end, the best way we found as a extermination was Oxy/propane. We modeled a homemade system off the "Rodenator" using a oxy/acetylene torch to a 50' hose feed by a propane and oxygen bottles from a local gas supply shop. Our ignitor was a electronic ignitor for a BBQ grill with extended leads.

It took us about 3/4 of a Saturday to hit all the holes, some of which we're sure we did twice. There hasn't been a gopher problem up there since. Not for the timid and requires some thinking about safety. I wouldn't be doing it around a house. That said, it isn't as bad as it sounds.

Youtube channel for the Rodenator we modeled after.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClSrtYQYGO_r3UO5P9b4iVQ

·
Administrator
30,099 Posts
My dog is an expert at digging them out and killing them. She's for hire... but your yard might look even worse after she's done with them. :lol:

·
Registered
713 Posts
Sorry, but I think this thread is very distasteful,really. I understand your problem with animal pests,but this gassing and various other ideas on how to kill an animal are inhumane.
I completely understand your perspective, no reason for you to apologize. Rest assured, I don't take the subject lightly and I too, strongly disagree with suffering. Carbon monoxide poisoning is completely painless, that's why I suggested it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
10 Participants
Quadrozontal
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing