Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'19 Limited
It is my understanding that Subaru HQ actually follows this forum so I thought I would note my experience after a year of ownership and about 10,000 miles

The Good
I generally like the car. It drives well, gets reasonable MPG, and has had no repairs except the dreaded rear hatch issue. I knew it was neither a Porsche Cayenne, or Prius so what I get for handling and economy is about what I expected. I would buy again but would not get a Touring (forced into it by spouse) as the added features, especially NAV not worth the extra cost.

The Bad (or at least very annoying)
  • The radio coming on every time the car is started. This is just stupid, serves no purpose, and could easily be fixed with a software change
  • The lack of ability to turn off the engine kill in a “permanent” manner. I don’t like the restart and always push the button when I first get in the car. I understand that it is setup like this for the alleged MPG gain, but for me and where I live (NH) it is utterly useless and the restarts are “hard”. I had a Ford as a work car for about 5 years with the restart feature and you hardly knew the engine shutoff/restart was working. Not the case with the Forester
  • The lack of really useful information on the info screen. I realize it is “old school” to want to see a display of coolant temp, voltage, and oil pressure, but those are the most useful info displays. I know that the car monitors for these factors, but there is no display. Again, a software fix would solve the problem. Yes, you can get an oil temp and coolant display without temps, but they are not really useful if you understand vehicles. Most of the display items available are just mirrors of those shown elsewhere (i.e. mpg) and the others: accelerometer, and inclinometer are useless in a vehicle which is not designed for off-road use
  • You have to turn off the NAV verbal instructions every time. I don't like voice commands and when I set volume to zero (three step process) I must do it every time I use the NAV instead of just being able to zero it out permanently
  • The battery is simply too small for the car. In cold weather, or when the car sits for a number of days, starting is always slow. The battery just does not have enough reserve power and the car turns over slowly
  • The car does not monitor the electric system and shut off lights, etc. when battery level drops. It was my fault, but I left the hatch up overnight. The car did not start in the AM after maybe 8 hours of battery drain via vehicle interior lights. It started right up after a jump, so it was simply a drain/voltage issue. Again, a simple software fix
The Ugly
The NAV system is, in a word: awful. I suspect that TomTom offered Subaru the best deal, but the system in my car is terrible. It is cumbersome to use, not intuitive, provides little useful information, and uses road data which is outdated. For example, the NAV unit often calls roads by their “name” (i.e. Eisenhower Highway) instead of route numbers like “I-95”. In addition, it does not respond well (if at all) to verbal input and does not give you reasonable options to select for address inputs. In short, my 10-year-old Garmin which is suction cupped to the windshield of my Tacoma is a much better GPS. I can only hope that Subaru will not let their cost be the only factor in selecting a GPS software package.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Exactly the reason I hooked up a pig tail and keep the battery minder on it in temps below freezing in my unheated garage. I noticed the same thing with the weakness of the battery.
I would think that one w/a higher CCA would be better.
Going to have mine tested tomorrow.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i MT
256 Posts
"The car does not monitor the electric system and shut off lights, etc. when battery level drops"

That has bothered me since day one. My 1998 F-150 had a "battery saver" that shut off all accessories, I think after a set time period. Don't know why that is not in all vehicles today.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
42 Posts
I would like to add that the left-foot-rest is way too small and uncomfortable..I have never seen/felt one designed this bad.

·
Registered
14 Forester XT cvt
141 Posts
You start with the line- 19 limited but say you have a Touring. So Touring it is I guess. Feel lucky you don't have the new Outback with all functions going through the 11.6 HU. Seat heaters, stop/ start take way to much time to turn off or on.
I chose the Touring for the comfort , especially the passenger 8- way power seat. Dual X-mode and fantastic visibility. It handles great and is quiet. Touring trim is a little bling to it but my wife likes it. The car looks boring as hell in base trim IMO. For me Driver focus is a waste but all the other safety systems are great. Mine is loaded, close to 38k but I got it for 33.3. Good value at that price

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
435 Posts
It is my understanding that Subaru HQ actually follows this forum
Do they actually follow this forum?

Their list of software fixes should certainly include a way to turn the stupid fake shifting off for any model with a CVT (not just 2019+). It seems all they'd need to do is put an older version of firmware in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had my 19 Premium for 5 months and 9000+ miles and think daily about trading it for something else. Right from the start I had rattles in the eyesight panel (finally resolved after the dealer had it for a total of 2 weeks, no loaner). Now I have periodic rattles in the sunroof and occassionally somewhere in the dashboard. I have NEVER purchased a new car with this many headaches. Last week, it locked me out with the engine running while I had the fob in my hand. I had to use the physical key to get in. I also HATE having to shut off the auto engine stop every time. It's funny that the salesman never mentioned that before the purchase. The radio auto on is also at the top of my dislike list. This is my first and last Subaru. I'm just looking to find the right replacement. Unfortunately it's going to cost me in depreciation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my 19 Premium for 5 months and 9000+ miles and think daily about trading it for something else. Right from the start I had rattles in the eyesight panel (finally resolved after the dealer had it for a total of 2 weeks, no loaner). Now I have periodic rattles in the sunroof and occassionally somewhere in the dashboard. I have NEVER purchased a new car with this many headaches. Last week, it locked me out with the engine running while I had the fob in my hand. I had to use the physical key to get in. I also HATE having to shut off the auto engine stop every time. It's funny that the salesman never mentioned that before the purchase. The radio auto on is also at the top of my dislike list. This is my first and last Subaru. I'm just looking to find the right replacement. Unfortunately it's going to cost me in depreciation.
To stop radio auto on - Shut the radio off each time by pressing on /off button until display goes dark - That shuts off radio.

·
Registered
2019 Forester - Touring CVT
19 Posts
The car does not monitor the electric system and shut off lights, etc. when battery level drops. It was my fault, but I left the hatch up overnight. The car did not start in the AM after maybe 8 hours of battery drain via vehicle interior lights. It started right up after a jump, so it was simply a drain/voltage issue. Again, a simple software fix

The NAV system is, in a word: awful. I suspect that TomTom offered Subaru the best deal, but the system in my car is terrible.
I could not agree more on the rear hatch killing the battery issue. What was Subaru thinking. And I saw another post that the problem still exits in the MY2020. When packing for a trip and leaving the rear hatch open for 4 or 5 hours, I'll need to jump start the car - this is an inexcusable design.

Note that it is not the interior lights which are killing the battery with the rear hatch open. They contribute, but the main issue is, with the interior lights turned off and the gate open, the vehicle has a battery discharge rate of about 4.5 Amps continuously for the entire time the gate is open. A ridiculous design flaw.

I also agree the Nav system is terrible. It consistently shows a speed limit of 55 MPH in residential areas which are actually 30 MPH. And on the 4 lane highway in my area (45 MPH limit), the Nav shows 25 MPH.

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
112 Posts
"The car does not monitor the electric system and shut off lights, etc. when battery level drops"

That has bothered me since day one. My 1998 F-150 had a "battery saver" that shut off all accessories, I think after a set time period. Don't know why that is not in all vehicles today.
The wife’s 2013 has the same feature when you turn the ignition to off the radio will play (that she left the car passenger side) I am of course in the drivers seat. After awhile the Ford MySync will announce its shutting the radio off to conserve the battery. Yes that I agree it could be software update that could save the battery.

·
Registered
14 Forester XT cvt
141 Posts
I could not agree more on the rear hatch killing the battery issue. What was Subaru thinking. And I saw another post that the problem still exits in the MY2020. When packing for a trip and leaving the rear hatch open for 4 or 5 hours, I'll need to jump start the car - this is an inexcusable design.

Note that it is not the interior lights which are killing the battery with the rear hatch open. They contribute, but the main issue is, with the interior lights turned off and the gate open, the vehicle has a battery discharge rate of about 4.5 Amps continuously for the entire time the gate is open. A ridiculous design flaw.

I also agree the Nav system is terrible. It consistently shows a speed limit of 55 MPH in residential areas which are actually 30 MPH. And on the 4 lane highway in my area (45 MPH limit), the Nav shows 25 MPH.
Im sorry but who leaves there hatch open for 5 hours?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
98 Posts
I recall one or more persons complaining that their hatch had opened spontaneously without their knowledge and then the battery had gone flat. Based on my own experience, I suspect "pocket dialing" with the remote. I myself had a problem with my '19 "pocket dialing" the unlock button when I first got it.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
191 Posts
I Agree with all of the above, particularly the console GPS and audio system, and would only add the silly moped horn that I had to swap out myself. To me the stock horn was useless...

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
964 Posts
We would back our 1980 Datsun 210 wagon into a campsite, open the tailgate, and set our JVC boombox inside, so the car acted like a big horn to enhance the sound of the music. We could power the unit from the car battery all day, and the car would still start.

We no longer camp, but these days we'd need a whole different approach, since the Forester's battery needs to be saved for the Forester.

·
Registered
14 Forester XT cvt
141 Posts
I Agree with all of the above, particularly the console GPS and audio system, and would only add the silly moped horn that I had to swap out myself. To me the stock horn was useless...
Yeah, it sounds like a sick cow!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts