Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's very 'like-me" to not go the traditional route as I tend to do things because I can, not because I have to. So...I've been going through several independent thought processes to figure out how to reinvent the FMIC-wheel.

I expect this thread to be a lot of trial and error similar to my WRX Seats/Money Pit thread. I plan to mount up several different intercooler cores in a couple areas of my SG9 to see what is available. I would really appreciate help from other members through suggestions that may help led to success. Please no flaming or telling me to NOT do something unless you back it up with reasoning.

I already had a thread going that started out asking if the EVO I/C would fit the Forester and that broke out into a great discussion of different layout and curious install paths. I hope to follow through with some of that here and test them out.

My first FMIC should be here in a week or so and i'll first start by mounting it up.

·
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good luck
my advice though, have someone who knows what they are doing just build u one. there are enough shops in the area that can do this
Vinny, you just broke the only rule of this thread; FAIL.

The whole point of this is to try new things. Sure I could just go with the traditional setup similar to what you have but that's just boring. I am hoping to do something along the lines of the TurboXS prototype. I want something different and something "cooler" (no pun intended).

Plus having a shop do it means I have to pay for labor and for that money I could have so much more fun.

Finally, I don't need a shop to do it. I can do it myself.

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,205 Posts
Please no flaming or telling me to NOT do something unless you back it up with reasoning.
good luck
my advice though, have someone who knows what they are doing just build u one. there are enough shops in the area that can do this
its one thing to mess with trial and error with seats which are fairly inexpensive in comparison to engines, tuning, turbos, front bumpers...do whatever you want which is why i prefaced by wishing you good luck.

I wasn't flaming, just didn't know you could weld

·
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its one thing to mess with trial and error with seats which are fairly inexpensive in comparison to engines, tuning, turbos, front bumpers...do whatever you want which is why i prefaced by wishing you good luck.

I wasn't flaming, just didn't know you could weld
Well all i'm really trying to do with this is to figure out different layouts. That's the first thing. There seems to be alot of space in the SG nose so I want to put it to work. I'll probably mostly use prefabbed tubing. Then once I have what I want i'll get it finalized and tune. Like I said from the very beginning i
m doing this because I can. If I just wanted an FMIC I would go with a kit but that's not what i'm trying to do.

Oh, and I expect this to cost WAY less than my seat episode. Those seats ended up costing me $1500+, haha.

And no, I can't weld. Well, not very well and not Aluminum (Neither of my welders are powerful enough). At least not yet. But my skills should be more than adequate to make up a support beam.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
sounds like fun; I applaud ingenuity, and, even if the end result is more $$ and performs the same--or marginally better--it's a fun journey. We're all here for different reasons...I'm here because I like working on cars/fabricating/designing.

so, I have a completely one-off IC system on my Forester, and I've been around the turbo scene awhile, so here are a few observations to start out with:

shorten the IC pipes

In your FMIC quest, you might as well consider the piping as a very important part of the system. Bottom line: IC pipes for FMIC's on Subarus are--more often than not--convoluted. Every bend and hose connection = pressure drop, which means your turbo has to work that much harder. As many of the engineers know, the speed of sound makes the actual length of the piping a bit less significant, but the aforementioned pressure drop, coupled with the added plenum volume from the piping, is a challenge. The benefits of a front mount outweigh these issues, but only if the system is well designed and uses a GOOD IC assembly. Put a restrictive (some ebay stuff, even production stuff, including the EVO unit, etc.) assembly in there, and the problem is exacerbated.

Recommendation: Use a quality, IC core/assembly (go HERE for some good info. on intercoolers) and look into a manifold "flip of some kind."

Don't discount the IC as a heat sink
The fact that an IC is a big lump of metal has more to do with temp lowering than a lot of people realize; this is why junk front mounts still do *ok* when compared to tiny top mounts. The mass of metal in these units matters to a degree, and should be thought about when deciding on components and placement.

Recommendation:Stuff a thick core behind the 06+ grille and go bar&plate. I think this is your intent, and imo, a good one. I saw lilsix's TXS setup, and it's really nice! The core is in a great spot and allows a very thick core to be used. The bar&plate may/may not cause overheating issues, but here's no doubt it can sink a TON of heat, with the side benefit of being much more rugged than tube/fin construction.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
If you need welding help, I know how.

Get as thick a core as you can find (the TXS EVO core is what Lilsix has), it's like 4" thick.

Don't worry about hacking the bumper up. Like Dale said, simply having thermal mass is important.

What you CAN do is build ductwork to maximize airflow to the IC. I'd probably use cardboard to make a simple template, then put a few plies of fiberglass on them (just flat, don't wrap it). Then, remove the cardboard, fit and fiberglass a full shroud.

·
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
^^^ Great suggestions, thanks.

As for the cores, just now I have one Spearco on the way and have my sites set on a second Spearco.

Phil, I just might take you up on that offer to weld. I have an Arc and Mig welder but they are hobby version and only put out 90amps. I'm not sure that that is enough for Aluminum.

First is core placement. I want to get it as high as I can.

Here is a pic of Spearco IC #2.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
I haven't tried welding aluminum. I use a TIG welder we have at school. It saw it's professional service welding 1" thick steel plates together.

I have been meaning to practice welding aluminum though.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
I was thinking about this the other day. I was thinking of a small straight core at the center with 2 of the 90 degree audi S4 side mounts on either side of it. The piping would come in the top of one side mount, go out the side of it into the straight one, then out to the side of the other side mount and then come out the top of it, making a sort of wide U shape. lol I have a diagram I'll upload later. Basically a 2-3" tall core between the 2 side mounts where the Y pipe to intake manifold would have been on an S 4. This would allow one to retain the bumper beam while still having a decent amount of cooling capacity. I started thinking about this as I have an 04 with the big fogs, but don't have fog lights in it anymore so I have 2 huge gaping holes, the side mounts would fit perfectly behind there and then the smaller core would fit well behind the lower opening in the bumper.

·
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was thinking about this the other day. I was thinking of a small straight core at the center with 2 of the 90 degree audi S4 side mounts on either side of it. The piping would come in the top of one side mount, go out the side of it into the straight one, then out to the side of the other side mount and then come out the top of it, making a sort of wide U shape. lol I have a diagram I'll upload later. Basically a 2-3" tall core between the 2 side mounts where the Y pipe to intake manifold would have been on an S 4. This would allow one to retain the bumper beam while still having a decent amount of cooling capacity. I started thinking about this as I have an 04 with the big fogs, but don't have fog lights in it anymore so I have 2 huge gaping holes, the side mounts would fit perfectly behind there and then the smaller core would fit well behind the lower opening in the bumper.
Wow, that's some serious cooling. I think doing that would be very interesting. I don't think it would be necessary to do the cross-core and should make installation much easier.

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
I haven't tried welding aluminum. I use a TIG welder we have at school. It saw it's professional service welding 1" thick steel plates together.

I have been meaning to practice welding aluminum though.
Aluminum is a COMPLETELY different ball game. Steel is a total walk in the park by comparison.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
Aluminum is a COMPLETELY different ball game. Steel is a total walk in the park by comparison.
Absolutely. Make sure you have an AC TIG setup. Steel/Iron is easy. Most hobby welders don't have the proper settings to tackle aluminum.

If you really want to do something different, why not go air-to-water? That is where I'm headed, but I need to purchase the right welder first:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts