Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As we approach the milestone of 50,000 worldwide members, the all-volunteer, Subaru-loving forum staff has decided to write a few words to express how we feel about this place. What brought us to it, what distinguishes it from the many other opportunities available on the Web, and what our hopes and concerns for the future might be. Read what we have to say, think about it, and feel free to join in and help us all prepare for life after the Big Five O.

This place started out small. Many of the original members are still active here—some not even driving Foresters any longer. We had all experienced the kind of forum where trolling, insults to new members, nasty sarcasm, piling on, and other forms of uncivilized behavior were the norm, and we wanted this place to be different.

Our hopes have been rewarded over the years. We've lost count of the number of new members who have instantly comprehended this ethic and noted in their introductory posts how friendly and mature a place this is—especially in comparison to ___ (fill in the blank—there are many choices). And then helped to sustain and build upon that ethic.

Over time we've grown into a community. It's not just cars, it's care. We've helped fellow members get through devastating accidents, illnesses, loss of a job, loss of a spouse, legal and business problems, and much more. We never ask how old you are, what color hair you have, or other questions like that—because those things don't matter here. Nor does it matter whether you like your Forester high, low, or stock! And our standard of humor and banter is one of gentle fun among friends.

We're getting ever larger—now about to hit a membership of 50,000. And we're sensing a loss of some of that original spirit. The civility, the willingness to provide a helpful answer to the 875th repetition of the "What kind of ___ should I use?" question, the maturity required to refrain from jumping into a thread with a comment that simply adds fuel to the fire, the choice of words, the tone and language of the humor—especially in the joke threads, the ability to walk away from a developing situation before it becomes worse.

We need to rededicate ourselves to what makes subaruforester.org the terrific community that it really is, and that it must remain.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Well Bruce, I could not have said it better. I bought a Forester because I couldn't afford a Jeep and wanted something 4wd/awd to play around with. It's a beater and I found myself immediately working on it. I stumbled across this place when trying to find out what P0420 was and couldn't believe what I was reading. I literally had never seen a forum of any kind let alone a car forum. I read through this one for a while and was so surprised to find such a large bunch of enthusiasts for a wagon. Now here I am, almost 2 years later, a mod on that same forum I fell in love with, discussing with those same enthusiasts that helped me fall in love with my car how to make our forum like it was when I found it. Love. It's what makes SF.org, SF.org.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
Bruce you said it extremely well.

How did I end up here and why do I stick around?

I ended up on SF.org after the Misses purchased a '08 Forester X. While we were doing her purchase I was given a ridiculous trade in offer for my Baja. A week later we owned a pair of '08 Foresters. Being a previous Subaru owner I knew of SF.org before it was a .org and was still a dot com. The first thing I noticed about SF.org was how helpful the posts were. There were no junk replies to questions, no high school like clicks and no foul language. It was friendly with a dialog that I wouldn't mind having at my kitchen table. Very much unlike the high school locker room some forums resemble, let alone on a automotive forum.

The atmosphere here is why I stick around. I have a local forum that has a lot to offer and there are other forums that are great repositories for knowledge but fail to offer a place that for me, is as inviting as SF.org feels.

Now 4 years later I can't believe that atmosphere is still largely with us as we have grown and are now approaching 50,000 members. As we grow it becomes more important for every one of us to help keep that welcoming atmosphere that brought many of us together here a part of SF.org. It isn't just what you say when you reply to a new members post that makes an impression. With new members lurking for days, weeks, months or some times years before joining and posting it is potentially every post that you have made in the past that has already made an impression on that new member. Not just the welcome aboard you posted in their introductory thread.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
For the Love of the Community

I've also been around since the original forum, though I can't remember whether I joined in December '02 when I bought my first Forester or whether I joined in early '03. The past shall remain fuzzy I guess, but like many of you I mostly lurked, researching, and reading what would eventually become Members Journals, chronicling "the mods". Eventually I began contributing as best as I could, enjoying the community and the interactions I experienced through topic or PM's, witnessing the maturity and helpfulness not seen elsewhere on any other Subaru forums I visited.
One day I won the lottery. :icon_eek: I got chosen to be a Moderator. Like many before me and those that will follow, it's an honor. We make some friends and an occasional enemy trying to keep within the spirit of the original forum rules and guidelines.

As Bruce mentioned, with the rapid popularity of the Forester and the forums growth (even though it is a small active membership contributing, there's plenty lurking) some things have slid from our original goals for the forums, so some reviews and adjustments are both due and overdue at the same time.

Over the years I've enjoyed some exchanges with Greg/Roo the founder of this forum, both about the forum(s) and its members that have contributed so much to support it. This is still the best place for any Forester knowledge if you are looking or already have one and need some help. I'm constantly thrilled by the level of international participation and the acceptance and help we both give and receive from our membership. We need to keep that welcome spirit alive through every post/thread we make.

What I'm trying to get across is something Greg said many years ago and that is so important we carry into our future, is whatever you provide in the form of a question, answer or response, "Its for the love of the community".

Cheers
Doug

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
I think all we need to remember in our interactions here is the Golden Rule... which is incidentally the first ground rule in official guidelines for conduct here on sf.org:
Treat other members (this includes Administrators, Moderators, and Vendors) with the same respect you wish to receive, even if you disagree with them.
It's really that simple.

I stumbled upon this place (in its dot com iteration) about 8 years ago. There were around 500-600 members at the time, and what impressed me the most about this community was the civility and helpfulness I encountered. We didn't even have a written set of rules for this place until maybe two or three years ago, as everyone here always seemed to know the boundaries of acceptable conduct by employing common sense. This place has now grown to nearly 50,000 members, and perhaps now is a good time to remind ourselves of the ethic this forum was founded on. I'd like sf.org to remain a place that is as welcoming and accommodating to both new and existing members as it was back in the early days, and it is up to each and every one of us to sometimes put our egos aside and put the Forester community first.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
I agree, while lately I haven't been able to spend much time on any forums (life with two teenagers keeps me hopping to say the least) this has always felt more like a community of friends (I met up with Ira the other day after all these years) I've seen it happen more than once where a small community gets big and then mob mentality takes over. I'm member 450 or something like that on Nasioc, that's the poster child if you ask me :)

I've been over on the Legacy GT site for info and try to contribute when I can, but talk about a bunch of spoiled kids sometimes. I feel bad when someone asks a question and they just jump all over the person about searching ect. It's all about respect and treating others how you want to be treated IMHO. While no place is perfect, this was always one of the better forums for treating people right.

·
Administrator
15,364 Posts
We are all of like minds here. I came on board the original forum as member #42 (I think) and was one of the few with a workshop manual - what more can I say :icon_wink:

It was akin to helping out your buddies whenever an issue was encountered and everyone pitched in with whatever knowledge / experience they could offer.

I'd like to think we can continue as a mature forum where people from all around the world can learn and contribute for the benefit of each other.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
When I first discovered subaruforester.COM, I had just entered my first relationship with Subaru. I had (then) recently acquired a 1998 Subaru Forester L, and had found a very small section of people at NASIOC who were into the Foresters. ForesterPerformance.com was a site run by one of the enthusiasts, but he was going to abandon the site and the information. I was running possible URL names for the information to keep it alive.

I was member #3.

I publicized it around the net, and by the end of the month, had built the site to 55 members - and from there, I continued my passion for the Forester. I was destined to become a moderator, then administrator of the .com, building it using a network of established Subaru enthusiasts and experienced members as a team.

When the .com went down due to hackers crashing the server, with the help of this team, we established subaruforester.org - having to start from scratch, because the database we were given had been thoroughly corrupted by the hackers.

Back in those days, the administrative team was here to keep the spammers at bay, help out with questions, and very rarely step in where needed when differences of opinion got a bit out of hand. The squabbles were few, the membership mature, and it was reflected in the posts from new members.

As the board has grown, I've seen some elements creeping in that remind me of other Subaru boards as they became large. As we approach 50k members, I wonder where the old-school community feel went, where we'd share far more than simply car talk - we helped people through the loss of a loved one, we've shared the joys and pains of life.

I'd like to see the growing community return once again to a place where people share, help each other, and build relationships based not just on a mutual car, but on the respect for each other.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You've now heard from most of the active members of the crew. Give it some thought, and add your views to the discussion.

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,736 Posts
I enjoy my time here as I am a Forester owner/fan. I like the fact that this is a mature site unlike others on the net. As long as I feel like I'm treated like a responsible adult/owner, then I have no reason to leave this great Forester forum.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
The Traveling T-70 thread showed me early on what kind of place this is. Just a little thing, but still...

Reactions: Gunsmoker

·
Premium Member
2005 xt 6mt
116 Posts
thank you

I have been into cars for most of my life, and as long as i have been using internet forums to help me DIY, i have never experienced a forum that made me want to be involved, post, and really contribute. the maturity, knowledge, comradery, and humor here is like nothing i have seen. thank you all so much:tissue:

·
Registered
03 XS 5MT
1,566 Posts
This is the only forum that I've been a part of that I wasn't afraid to ask any question. Every post I've ever made to find something out was responded to, and I've never seen any negative mentalities towards me or another user. I'm glad I've found it, and I plan on staying.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Prem
62 Posts
I am not a big contributor to the forum but have always appreciated the help the forum gave me. I even hate when a newbie doesn't appreciate the advice you guys provide and on the contrary insults you guys :icon_mad:

On the whole...you guys are awesome..:biggrin:

·
Registered
2007 FXT Limited 5MT
2,816 Posts
Recently I have felt somewhat unwanted by some members, but that is my own fault. I still love this forum. The fact that I don't get flamed on here for being 17 like I usually would on another very popular Subaru forum is what keeps me around, along with all of the helpful members who are always willing to help me out, even with small simple stuff. I really appreciate this forum and without it I think my car would be dead on the side of the road.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,205 Posts
This is the most civilized forum I have ever been on. Its very consistent.

The times when there is a problem is when a poster makes a statement that invites a snide remark. I have responded in that manner (unfortunately) I guess its human nature. Its very rare on here though.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
2,361 Posts
I love the feel of this forum. I know I have done my share of flippancy in the more serious forums, but I try to keep it on topic for the most part. I have also noticed some of the "old school" values starting to slip in the short time I have been on here. Hopefully we can turn that around and get back on track, before it gets too late.

I have made quite a few good friends because of this forum, and we regularly talk about all sorts of things outside the realm of cars. So I extend a thanks to all on here that do their part to keep things the way they used to be.

·
SierraHotel
2010 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
544 Posts
This is an excellent forum. Generally civil and almost always informative. I attribute this to tha great job the moderators do in keeping miscreants (that would be me, sometimes!) within the boundries of what we are here to talk about.

I have always been impressed with the patience shown by some of the old time members with the repetitive questions posted by newbies (that would be me again!). They seem to know that what is a little boring to them, is a sometimes big deal to the poster.

Thanks to all.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts