Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

81 - 100 of 455 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
aaand now i feel like an idiot....LOL looked back thru my camera this morning, and found this gem, last shot i took... thats what i get for trying to do a quick edit at work, not totally paying attention, due to not wanting to get in trouble....LOL o forgot i snapped one shot closer to the car, and not zoomed as much... changes perspective on sun angle....also increases howmany dead bugs you can see on the front of scoob....LOL

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Oh yeah. Data for days.

That last shot is a beauty. Fantastic!

I hear yeah on the not enough time for the shot. Mine above was a 15 min quick shoot before my baby woke up on the weekend.

Sometimes that's all the window of opportunity lasts for a shot. Just have to be there.

·
Registered
335 Posts
yep.... cant tell you how many times i had wanted to get a shot, only to have missed the awesome lighting by 2 min.... as for that info, goes to show... i forgot i had turned down my exposure compensation as well....LOL gotta set that back neutral... thats what happens when i am in a rush... >:)

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Well my new camera made it here! So far... loving everything about it. Was out for an auto-x event so I was shooting during lunch break and got a few decent shots. Here is one I had time to edit. Hope to get out and shoot plenty more now.. Really happy with the results.

Canon EOS 6D f 2.0 iso 100 135mm 1/1000

Blue skies by Blingstrom, on Flickr

·
Registered
397 Posts
Well my new camera made it here! So far... loving everything about it.
Awesome, congrats! That's a serious camera. Nice shot...the light can be so nice and subtle in the shade.

Canon EOS 6D f 2.0 iso 100 135mm 1/1000
Are you shooting the Canon 135 f/2L? Niiice lens. That's effectively the same focal length as when I shoot my XF90mmf/2 on my APS-sensor X-Pro2, which is by far my favorite way to shoot the car. Gotta love that bokeh!

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Awesome, congrats! That's a serious camera. Nice shot...the light can be so nice and subtle in the shade.

Are you shooting the Canon 135 f/2L? Niiice lens. That's effectively the same focal length as when I shoot my XF90mmf/2 on my APS-sensor X-Pro2, which is by far my favorite way to shoot the car. Gotta love that bokeh!
Thanks man! Yeah I learned very quickly that afternoon sun can be pretty harsh on my silver car. So if I can hide in the shade I go for it.

And also correct 135 2.0 L. Which is now so much easier to use on this body. A good photography friend told me that would be my next best upgrade... And he was right I have loved the lens since day one. It never ceases to amaze me with what it can do.

·
Registered
335 Posts
man all this talk about prime lenses.... i havent shot a prime since i learned back on my mothers old AE-1 Program....LOL i know its no L glass but curious your thoughts on my go to lens... i have never been in a spot where i have wanted a different lens than what was snapped onto my camera with this lens.... i had the kit lenses, 18-55 and 70-200, but i always seem to end up either in that 55-70 range, or all the way zoomed in....LOL only complaints i have are the 6.3 ap at full zoom... autofocus isnt too happy with that number... https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/363593-REG/Tamron_AF014C700_18_200mm_f_3_5_6_3_XR_Di_II.html

·
Premium Member
12,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
found another spot the other day, with a nice strip of pavement....where i can relax a touch.
so a couple shots of my wifes car.

got another one i like better, composition wise...and edit style....but photoshop was raging about saving it as a "jpeg2000", when i wanted a version for flickr. anyone know what thats all about? why suddenly i couldnt just pick a regular jpeg?

·
Premium Member
12,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)
....but photoshop was raging about saving it as a "jpeg2000", when i wanted a version for flickr. anyone know what thats all about? why suddenly i couldnt just pick a regular jpeg?
...you'da thunk i would have maybe google'd the scenario quick. didnt, but i did just now.
for the fun of this thread...i was messing with channels tab during the edit...to work on other ways to reduce noise in the photo, really just in the color, on the car (compared to just a reduce noise filter)...and had ended up selecting "lab color" (as part of the noise reduction attempt). according to the internet, if i go back and switch it back to rgb...ill be able to save it as a normal jpeg.

i failed to notice when taking the shots...that i was only grabbing jpegs. so was making every attempt possible, to save it, in my edits.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
"The built-in Wi-Fi® transmitter allows you to wirelessly transfer your images"

heaven for me, right there. for when im lazy, and only use lightroom app, on my phone. haha.
nice pick up @Blingstrom
I just used that feature yesterday to cast images after shooting to TV it was pretty slick. That is one sweet feature in a slew of features I have been enjoying.

·
Registered
397 Posts
man all this talk about prime lenses.... i know its no L glass but curious your thoughts on my go to lens... only complaints i have are the 6.3 ap at full zoom
First and foremost, if you're happy with the lens and satisfied with the images, then that is the most important factor (as opposed to what any of us think about it).

I'm not familiar with that particular lens anyway, but here are some thoughts about zoom lenses and why I don't use them.

First of all, in order to make a lens that covers multiple focal lengths, it requires more pieces of glass inside of there. And every piece of glass the light has to go through is an opportunity for the image to degrade...image gets soft, detail is lost, and contrast is lost, yielding a hazier image. And the wider the focal length range, the worse this will be. 18-200 is a massive range to cover with a single lens. Super handy, no doubt, because you never have to swap lenses, but there are a lot of elements the light has to get through in order to reach the sensor. When I was still shooting Canon, the only zoom I had was the 17-40 f4L - which is already a much much smaller range of focal lengths than yours and an L build - but I #$&*% hated that lens compared to my 50mmf1.4 and 200mmf2.8L...it was very visibly softer, lower contrast, and of course slower, only opening to f4.)

With very little glass between the subject and the sensor, just about any prime lens will yield a sharper, more contrasty, crisp-looking image. And will offer a much wider aperture, allowing the lens to collect more light and thus giving you more hand-holdable freedom as available light diminishes.

Which brings us to the other issue with zoom lenses. Unless you can fork out the thousands for one of those fast L zooms you see the sports journalists shooting - and don't mind carrying a massive grenade launcher of a lens - you will always have speed issues, because you just can't get a wide enough aperture, as you've already discovered. At f6.3, you've lost roughly 4 stops of light compared to an f1.8 prime. That light loss is like going from (at full zoom) a hand-holdable 1/250-sec exposure down to an unusable 1/30-sec exposure. Or like going from a creamy smooth ISO 100 to a much noisier ISO1600. This is a huge hindrance IMO, and the other reason I carry and swap three prime lenses instead of using a zoom. And you don't have to buy L glass to get fast primes...Canon's non-L primes are superb yet affordable.

There are other factors too, such as chromatic aberration and unsightly flares/reflections inside the lens, but IMO sharpness, contrast and speed are the most significant arguments for primes.

All that said, I am friends with a number of successful, professional photographers who use only zooms instead of primes (usually at least two though, one wider and one longer) and they probably think I'm dumb for being stuck with three single focal lengths. So there is no single right answer. I can't stand gear snobbery so I just want to underscore that I am not at all criticizing your lens choice. :smile2: Everyone should use what works for them. I was just outlining why primes work for me. :smile2:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Excellent man!
Thank you! :smile2:

Yup, shot this wide open.

LX-5 by V. Josh F, on Flickr
This is a gorgeous shot.

My lenses are wide open 95% of the time. I only ever stop down if there's a crucial need for added depth of field. Getting sweet bokeh like this is another reason I should have mentioned above for shooting primes. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
12,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
^^^^...i didnt even know there was a point to moving that slider thingy...>:)

on the lens talk...
ive fallen in love with the prime thing (obviously out of quality, coming from the two kit lenses that i started with..but also) primarily because i found myself (well, didnt even know i was doing it, at the time) just using the zoom lens, and essentially "picking" the best option available framing wise...from where i was standing.

then with the need to move (once i got my 85mm) i noticed that not only was i now 10ft forward, or 10 ft back from where i would have been...but also 10 ft to the left or right ("nope, dont like that"..."nah, that feels weird"...etc. i mean ive already moved...so now i gotta keep doing it until it looks perfect...). something that never happened with the zoom ("i dont have to move...the lens does that." and im already "where i want to be"....#fail ). and usually, for me, 10 ft to the left or right makes for a much better composition.

...and on that note...this will be my next pick up (a kids gotta dream, right?):
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens

·
Forester of the Year 2014
2,824 Posts
I love having to work for my picture, by moving closer or further away to get the framing I want. I've always been a prime lens guy. Love the sharpness, fast focusing and bokeh they create.

I've owned these prime lenses in the last few years:
20 1.8
35 1.4 and 1.8
50 1.8
85 1.8
105 1.4
135 1.8
180 2.8

haha, so out of those. The 20, 105 and 135 are my favorites and what I use the most. The 135 just came out so I find myself using it a lot. I actually will sell the 105 1.4 now.

I shoot a lot of portraits and family portraits and the 135mm is a game changer. Super sharp wide open and I just love that focal point.

As for zoom lenses....the 2.8s are a must have for weddings and events. So what I usually do is carry a prime on one body and a zoom on another. The 24-70 and 70-200 2.8s are the money lenses for events and weddings. I carry the 24-70 2.8. Its a great all around lens and does pretty well in low light, not as fast as a prime for obvious reasons but it's convenient to have that zoom range when capturing important events.

When I get out and shoot my own car or cars in general...I love using the longer focal point because of the compression. For those of you using kit lenses, I highly recommend renting out a prime. You will be blown away. The 35 and 50 1.8 are super affordable too.

81 - 100 of 455 Posts