Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 455 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
What are you guys shooting with? Ive been interested in getting into photography for fun, have been eyeing the sony alpha mirrorless options; mainly the a6000.
Nice pictures so far!
I've owned my a6000 for about 3-4 years now. I'd suggest it to anybody just getting into photography. Although, if you have the extra money the 6300 or 6500 are obviously great options as well. An A7 model will definitely be in my future bag.

If you're okay with having people think you have sub par gear because your camera body has a smaller footprint than an iPhone 7, then the a6000 is the camera for you.

·
Premium Member
12,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If you're okay with having people think you have sub par gear because your camera body has a smaller footprint than an iPhone 7, then the a6000 is the camera for you.
weirdly enough...thats one of the draws (of any of those Sonys) for me. such a trouble maker.....

good to see ya man.

·
Premium Member
12,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Yeah, I'd love to see some discussion on how some of these shots are taken.
this made me think of a quote from someone. and my personal "issue" (or at least what bothers me most, on my stuff, on the daily). and why that comment i had about "you got a shot on a beach, this other dude has a shot on a beach......etc etc" flew outta my mouht. i can follow/replicate instructions i come across, based on data like Bling mentioned, or verbal suggestions. just move this dial that way, change this number to so and so, spin this other thing, then push the button. but theres something missing on mine....:crying:

my initial comment:
... to help make my photo by the lake tell more of a story then just some dude parked next to the water quick and took a photo.....lol.
That's it exactly. One of my mentors used to say; the difference between a picture and a photograph is that a photograph has intent. You intend to not just show reality, like a picture might do, but set it up, to present it for your viewer. Of course, technically they are both the same, but thinking about it this way is a nice way to separate the two via intent. Don't just show me what was there, show me what you want me to see.

The Prestige.
by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
^^^imo, thats the more important part. compared to buttons and numbers.
and the notion that when also carried over into the post processing stage...is the reason certain photos really nail it.
my picture:

my photograph:

outside of the post processing...some things that pop out to me, on that final version, vs the one above it....
overall angle, vs the garage door.
the orientation of the wheel itself, vs the door (yes the wheel should be spun a touch more. i failed).
even having the door in there at all.
the yellow sticker on wheels barrel.
my angle, vs the face of the wheel. like how high/low i am.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
That's a good way of putting it. I'll be honest, I don't do any post-processing on any of my photos. The way they come out of the camera is the way they stay. Really should learn how to do that too!!

Here's a few from back home in NC.

·
Premium Member
12,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
@Raz007 sorry, i added more to my post, then deleted, then added again.

on the editing thing...imo, its very important. not that a photo isnt nice unless its been processed...but more so to really make it shine. and show me the vibe, scenario, etc. and i dont mean that someone has to do it. but if you take a photo, and feel it doesnt accurately represent what you were feeling, and thinking, when looking at the subject...or what you really want to tell me about that night downtown...then that might be your first clue.

like your downtown car show one there. that would probably look bonkers, if all the cars werent red/orange.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
Yeah, I agree. It was a great day out there, I just didn't know how to use the camera well enough to capture the moments.

I tried getting a blur photo:

·
Premium Member
12,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
personally, i think youre actually usually pretty good at capturing moments. whether its a detail shot, or a general ambiance shot...the editing process would just help showcase it.

on your ones above...car show stuff is tough. usually kills it. like since the area is usually chaos and distracting, all in all...and youre left with weird angles, random people random places, weird crops, etc.

·
Premium Member
24,101 Posts
One of my favorite things is trying to capture a moment with my DSLR. Sure I love setting up to try and take a proper photograph, but I also love trying to catch that moment in time that seems to tell a story on its own.

IMG_8614 by Remington Lee, on Flickr

IMG_8461 by Remington Lee, on Flickr

IMG_8592 by Remington Lee, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
12,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
yup. i always find it exciting if i can hear the sounds, feel the weather, etc. your last pic there reminded me of one of my man/cam crushes, in regard to the action, split second glimpse, etc thing.

(^^ https://www.flickr.com/people/reidelattrache/ ^^)

and i know i made an opening comment about only posting your own images....
but with it being early in the thread, i cant help but share some other peoples work...since im terrible with proper terminology, don't have the best personal examples to pass along/make a point, and am an overall noob in general.

·
Premium Member
12,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
that scenario leads me to a question i ask myself, pretty often. i know youre supposed to have the horizon be level, and then youd also run into problems with the power line poles and all if you started rotating it.... but with the car...i dont like how the car is angled. it just always registers as MORE then just the curvature of the road....and bothers my eyes....so i end up cheating a little, rotating it some. id guess the real way to do it, would be hacking off just the lower half, somewhere short of the first power line (not just the car...id do the road and all)...and manipulating the image that way (leaving the horizon in tact)...but i personally havent had one where it would be as cut and dry as that shot.

that ever bother you Blingstrom?

·
Registered
15 Posts
weirdly enough...thats one of the draws (of any of those Sonys) for me. such a trouble maker.....

good to see ya man.
My friends give me a hard time if we see somebody with a big DSLR setup and a zoom lens cause my camera and 50mm is tiny in comparison.

I recently bought a dual battery grip which helps add some bulk. I don't feel so sub par anymore.

21 - 40 of 455 Posts