Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 585 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Forester XT CVT
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Best of luck Larry, Im a long way away so I cant come over for a beer and give you a hand, but I will help you however i can.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring Automatic CVT
68 Posts
Mate, please do not spread misinformation in this thread. Those torques are inadequate for the new clamps and also you will not a get a torque wrench into the spaces required. An experienced person will know how tight to do up the clamps, taking into consideration that they are gripping on to plastic components. As for photos, the guide is written for a person who already knows their way around an engine. I strongly suggest you take your car to a reputable mechanic to get the job done if the instructions are not clear to you. Subaru will not perform this work for you under warranty as they have not recognised the fault.
Didn't mean to spread misinformation.. nobody in the OZFOZ thread corrected the person who posted those torques. Your point about photos and needing an experienced mechanic. Looks like I have one lined up for Saturday (hopefully).

I do still think an overview picture of the engine that points out the (general) locations of all clamps would go a long way even for those who are getting a skilled mechanic to do the work. The more informed I am the smoother the job request is to the skilled mechanic.

Anyway, thanks for all your insight.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Premium CVT
120 Posts
I have not experienced or at least noticed a problem but did replace the top three clamps. I struggled with the BPV as I could not get my big hands in there to loop the clamp through. I left the old one in place in case I couldn't get it looped which I couldn't. It wasn't loose to begin with so the only thing I could do is retighten the one that was on there already and had give up on the BPV clamp. To my suprise the turbo intake clamp was not a Tridon. It was a Norton and appeared to be of good quality. it was still tight and I could only tighten it slightly before I felt I was going to overtighten it.

danozmax- maybe I missed it somewhere but where the turbo intake clamps Tridon for the Australian model? That was the one suprise besides not being able to get my hand in there to fasten the new BPV clamp.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
It may be possible that they change clamp suppliers part of the way through the production cycle.

What is your build date, marmonduke?

I have a 2/13 build date, but I have not checked to see who made my clamps.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT Touring CVT
826 Posts
Best of luck Larry, Im a long way away so I cant come over for a beer and give you a hand, but I will help you however i can.
If I just poke around and check the clamps that I can find easily, will it be very obvious if they are loose to the point of it causing a problem? Thanks for all your input here, BTW!

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Premium CVT
120 Posts
It may be possible that they change clamp suppliers part of the way through the production cycle.

What is your build date, marmonduke?

I have a 2/13 build date, but I have not checked to see who made my clamps.
Hey Josh,

My build date is also 2/13

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT Premium CVT
83 Posts
danozmax- maybe I missed it somewhere but where the turbo intake clamps Tridon for the Australian model? That was the one suprise besides not being able to get my hand in there to fasten the new BPV clamp.
Glad you made some good progress Marmonduke! FWIW, my turbo intake clamp was also a Norton. The other 4 were Tridon. I too am curious to know if the Australians had Tridon or Norton at the turbo intake.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
That's what I've always used in my projects. They are very well built, and there are no slots in the band to shred the material being clamped.

·
Registered
2013 Forester XT CVT
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The Turbo intake was a Norton, I replaced it with a Breeze Liner as it is on the engine and very susceptible to vibration. The BPV is the toughest to replace. The car will need to be on ramps or stands to make the job easier but it is possible on the ground. Just very difficult.

See post number 7.

·
Registered
(Australian spec) 2019 MY19 Outback 3.6R CVT.
393 Posts
... an experienced mechanic. Looks like I have one lined up for Saturday (hopefully).
I do still think an overview picture of the engine that points out the (general) locations of all clamps would go a long way even for those who are getting a skilled mechanic to do the work. The more informed I am the smoother the job request is to the skilled mechanic. ...

In asp1135’s OzFoz.com topic SJ XT Acceleration Issues – Caused by???? (log-in or registration required) that contains most of the discussion & investigation by the owners about the surging & power loss with the Australian SJ XTs, I posted some photos & drawings fairly early in that topic that may help your mechanic if not familiar with this particular XT model.

Links to the photos here & to the drawings here (if the links don’t take you directly to the correct posts – scroll down & you should find the lists under my username subXT).
The drawings I posted are for an MY10 Legacy GT which has a similar air inlet to throttlebody layout to the XT. The top link ‘MY10 Legacy general description – intercooler’ shows the 4 clamps numbered 12 & 5 between the turbo & throttlebody. The 2nd link ‘MY10 Legacy general description – air cleaner’ shows the 4 clamps numbered 12 between the air filter case & the turbo.

In Danoz’s OzFoz.com forum topic ‘How to fix SJ XT rattle, hesitation, smoke and surging’ I posted a reply to County about accessing the 4 clamps between the air filter case & turbo – this may also help.

Edit: more information in this subaruforester.org forum post.

BTW – to the best of my knowledge all references to clamp torque figures in the above OzFoz.com topics are Subaru’s figures for the standard clamps – not for any non-standard replacement clamps.

Also – references to fuel octane ratings are for Australian 95 RON & 98 RON (which doesn’t contain Ethanol). My understanding is that America uses the AKI octane rating standard, & the Australian 95 RON is approximately equivalent to the American 91 AKI. I’m not sure how this compares if Ethanol is included in the fuel.

·
Registered
(Australian spec) 2019 MY19 Outback 3.6R CVT.
393 Posts
Is there a reason no one is using T-bolt clamps? When I had a front mount running almost 30psi these things were amazing. Nothing takes these things off. ...
A nice looking clamp but I don’t think they make those in 1/2" band widths for the sizes required do they? If the existing pipes, hoses & insulators are to be retained, the TMIC & throttlebody on these XTs need 1/2" wide clamps. Also, fitting the T-bolt clamps under the insulator flaps at the TMIC outlet & throttlebody could be a problem.

·
Registered
2013 Forester XT CVT
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
I think its time you did the mod Sub. I have two sets left if you want one. ;)

Oh and as I mentioned in the guide, the Breeze liner clamps were selected for their ability to lock into position and not undo with vibrations etc. I also selected them to prevent damage to the delicate rubber boots or "insulators" that seal the induction piping joins. Massive force is not required for a positive seal, rather uniformity of clamping pressure and ability to stay in its tightened position. Tight spaces and similar dimensions to the Tridon clamps were also essential.

This is what happened after one single tightening attempt using the Subaru Tridon clamps. Note the damage to the induction piping - Another reason not to go tightening the standard clamps. Not only will they self release, they will do further damage and prevent a perfect seal. The clamp has to fit comfortably UNDER the flap that is being lifted in the pic.

Pic: Intercooler outlet to throttlebody pipe.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good Luck Snitm. I wish you all the best mate. Let us know how you go. :)
Thanks, I got a set of the Breeze clamps in the mail from County today (Mike, aka County, is a great guy!). So I'm having Subaru install them for ~$200 right now (they're billing me for 2 hours labor, little high but beats finding another capable mechanic for now) -- worked out perfectly given I already had an appointment to get my ECU re-flashed with the latest 2014 FXT update from Subaru of America (22611AW065) to address the "hard start" issue.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT Touring CVT
826 Posts
Thanks, I got a set of the Breeze clamps in the mail from County today (Mike, aka County, is a great guy!). So I'm having Subaru install them for ~$200 right now (they're billing me for 2 hours labor, little high but beats finding another capable mechanic for now) -- worked out perfectly given I already had an appointment to get my ECU re-flashed with the latest 2014 FXT update from Subaru of America (22611AW065) to address the "hard start" issue.
Did your Subaru dealer have any comments about warranty implications as far as the new clamps are concerned?

·
Registered
68 Posts
No, they were happy to do it for me. And the tech said the Breeze clamps were better, and that the old ones were definitely a bit looser than they should've been.

So I really don't think warranty is a concern at all; especially in that the Subaru dealer did it for me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
XT seems responsive, etc. But I really didn't have "issues" that needed fixing like you guys in Australia, etc. I had Subaru replace the clamps as a preventative measure. One concern I had with doing so is that I'd create an issue (self fulfilling prophecy).

But before the Breeze clamps were installed I tested the FXT on relatively flat road (didn't find a sustained hill near me until later). I was consistently bursting to 16-17 psi, but holding around 15psi.

Now, when testing with the Breeze clamps I rarely get to 17psi. I do however burst to 16psi and hold at 14-15psi when keeping manual 3rd gear up a sustained incline. I know 16psi is considered the ideal sweet-spot but it seems I'm just shy of that.

It may just be that I now know what my FXT can do now after having been pushing the turbo with this testing, but it does feel quicker. And the turbo is more audible than it was without the Breeze clamps (I can hear it spool-up more noticeably).

So all said, please tell me how you think I'm doing. Is there potential that some clamps still aren't tight enough since I'm not quite getting to sustained 16psi?

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
An important part of comparing your PSI from day to day is what the outside air temperature was. It needs to be the same atmospheric conditions for an ideal comparison.

21 - 40 of 585 Posts