Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2004 Forester 2.5 XT. Great car, my problem lies with the tyres.

In 3 weeks i have trashed 4 tires Yokahama Geolander G900's. All exactly the same problem. A cut of about an inch on the outside area of the tread which extends about an inch up the sidewall.

To the best of my knowledge, I have not hit anything such as potholes and have searched the area around my driveway and access road to see if i could find anything sharp which could cut the tires. Found nothing. Rims are all 100% which suggests not hard impacts. Running 2 bars pressure

Has anyone else had a similar experience or could advise as to what the hell is going on ?

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
I'd think someone doesn't like the fact that you've got a new car :huh:.

All four tires in approximately the same area makes me suspect someone is using a sharp instrument to cut the tires just enough that driving eventually causes them to fail in that spot.

For now take a little time to inspect the tires before and after you drive it, if you think people will think you're obsessive, call it pride of ownership.

Hope you don't continue to have these problems.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Could the fender be cutting it somehow? Could post up a picture of the car tire and fender area

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,963 Posts
Check your fender walls. If there's rubber on them, then it's somehow rubbing. Otherwise it's something you hit.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input everyone. The thought regarding the fender did occur to me and I had a cursory inspection and did not find anything. This is born out by the fact that one of the flats was in a front tyre while the others were all left rear.

What I'm getting out of your responses is that cuts are not endemic to these tyres ? I was kind of hoping to get a few similar stories concurring that they are prone to cuts.

I reckon that there must be something on my regular route doing the damage.

BTW Good Dog, I've hidden all my Stanley knives in my garage - just in case !

·
Premium Member
2006 Forester L.L. Bean yes
143 Posts
Funny thing - the other day we experienced almost the same thing with the right-rear tire OEM Yokahama G900 on our 2006 Forester - a cut of about an inch on the inside (not the outside) area of the tread which extends about an inch up the sidewall.

Neither my wife or I have any recollection of driving over anything that could have made this cut.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium
135 Posts
Funny thing - the other day we experienced almost the same thing with the right-rear tire OEM Yokahama G900 on our 2006 Forester - a cut of about an inch on the inside (not the outside) area of the tread which extends about an inch up the sidewall.

Neither my wife or I have any recollection of driving over anything that could have made this cut.
Do you have a non-standard rear sway bar and/or end links? Some fitments can bring the end link mounting bolt in contact with the tire at the limit of wheel travel.

I see the original htread is old, but this could have happened there also if the tires were rotated

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeff, everything stock standard.

Yokohama subsequently gave me 4 new tyres for free, (not g9000's), and everything has been just hunky dory since.

There was definitely something very, very wrong with those tyres.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts