Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long read and not the most ideal format, but well worth immersing yourself in if you're on that never ending quest for the Holy Grail of engine oils:

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com

THIS BLOG CONTAINS THE MOST COMPLETE, INDEPENDENT, UNBIASED, ACCURATE AND FACTUAL, BREAKTHROUGH MOTOR OIL WEAR PROTECTION CAPABILITY TEST DATA, THAT YOU WILL EVER FIND ANYWHERE. THE INFORMATION HERE IS PROVEN, AND TRUSTED WORLDWIDE. Many people have called it the “be-all, end-all” of motor oil information, which is absolutely true, because it is the real deal.

For all the motor oil comparison data, see my Wear Protection Ranking List below in this Blog.

But, there could be some confusion for people who do not actually read my entire Blog. My test data on wear protection is generally aimed at High Performance and Racing engines that are capable of pushing motor oils near their limits. So, knowing how capable various oils truly are, can be critical. It is of course also for people who simply want to know what oils will provide the best possible wear protection for their engines, even if they don’t technically push their motor oil near its limit.

However, for ordinary daily driver vehicles, the oil used is nowhere near as critical as it is for High Performance and Racing engines. So, a normal daily driver vehicle may operate just fine for the life of the engine on say a low performing 60,000 psi motor oil. But, a High Performance or Racing engine may require a high performing 90,000 psi or higher motor oil, to avoid wear and/or damage. It just depends on how much loading the engine puts on its motor oil.

NOTE: Read my Wear Protection Ranking List carefully regarding an oil you may be considering for your application. Because some Oil Companies make changes to their oil, making them worse than they were previously, apparently to maintain or increase profit margins. So, always look for the most recent test data on oils that have both older and newer data posted. In those cases, I always indicate which oils are older and no longer available. It may be that you can no longer safely use an oil that was just fine for your needs in the past.

And the better performing the oil, the higher the reserve wear protection capability, also called margin of safety, which means capability beyond what is actually required. If you have a problem at some point, say an engine component starts to fail, or the oil level gets low, or there is an overheating condition, or you increase the power level dramatically, etc, etc, then extra reserve wear protection capability could save your engine. So, people have to decide for themselves how much wear protection capability they feel comfortable with for any given engine build. And since you have to buy oil anyway, why not select a better performing motor oil while you are at it?

You can also search the blog for specific brand names or other keywords:
Press the F3 key, or press “ctrl F“. Type in what you are looking for, in the FIND window at the top, and it will show the number of matches found, at the top. It will highlight those matches in yellow, and will take you right to the first match.

·
Registered
19 19 Touring, 17TrgXT CVT
636 Posts
Gotta love this guy's passion for compiling all this info! Nothing is more likely to spark an over heated debate then Politics, Religion and Engine Oil. Looking to start a mini riot - just wear a MAGA Hat, with a "Creationism is Kewl" T- Shirt, and a "Mobil 1 Rocks" button at an AMSOIL Convention at U.C. Berkeley, CA. Not certain which of the foregoing would get everyone the most agitated, but I would bet it would be the Mobil 1 button.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,900 Posts
The Car Talk guys (MIT graduates!) were once doing an experiment with never changing the oil in one of their test cars. Did anybody see how that worked out?

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium
167 Posts
Very interesting site bookmarked for sure.

I cant wait until he tests the new house branded motor oil Amazon.com is now peddling. Its cheap and carries all the right certs, but will not go in my car till I see some lab analysis!

Happy to see the Pennzoil Platinum ive been using come in at a good number, slightly higher than the more expensive Royal Purple I sometimes consider buying

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,255 Posts
Great find. I missed this on bitog!!!!

As I have been saying for years:

"Synthetic oils rank between number 1 and number 221.
Conventional oils (with no aftermarket additives) rank between number 4 and number 223.

* Since the ranking of synthetic oils and conventional oils completely overlap, there is no clear distinction between their wear protection capabilities, which means that conventional oils are still far better than most people think."

I need to spend a lot more time with the report. But as great as it sounds. I already have some reservations. So far its perception. Not saying its not the best thing since sliced bread. But "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof"

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,255 Posts
I think so far..considering availability this one looks the best for the XT:

20. 5W30 Quaker State Ultimate Durability, API SN, GM dexos 1 approved, synthetic (originally gold, now green bottle) = 113,377 psi
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
This was the latest current version of this oil when tested at the end of 2015. The psi value of this oil, which came from testing it at the normal operating test temperature of 230*F, put it in the INCREDIBLE Wear Protection Category.
However, I went on to also test this oil at the much higher temperature of 275*F. At that elevated temperature, any hotter and thinner oil is expected to experience a drop in Wear Protection Capability. But, this oil only had a very small 3.7% drop in capability. And even at that elevated temperature, it produced an extremely impressive 109,211 psi, which still kept this much hotter and thinner oil in the INCREDIBLE Wear Protection Category.

If I knew for certain that the numbers were accurate (which I don't) I would consider this oil in my XT:

7. 0W20 Quaker State Ultimate Durability, API SN, synthetic (originally gold, now green bottle) = 124,393 psi
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
This oil was tested in Spring 2016. The psi value of this oil, which came from testing it at the normal operating test temperature of 230*F, which put it in the FANTASTIC Wear Protection Category.
However, I went on to also test this oil at the much higher temperature of 275*F. At that elevated temperature, any hotter and thinner oil is expected to experience a drop in Wear Protection Capability. This oil did have a 14.7% drop in capability. But, even at that elevated temperature, it produced an impressive 106,163 psi, put this much hotter and thinner oil in the INCREDIBLE Wear Protection Category.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,255 Posts
Pretty much decided I would go with the 0W-20 Quaker State Ultimate Durability for my XT. I will pll a sample and do a UOA at 2000 Miles. If satisfactory another at 6000 miles and if OK go to at least 8000 miles.

Interesting to see the results. Also going with the FRAM Ultra Synthetic. It and the Purolator Boss ate both full Fiberglass Depth Media. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
139 Posts
No matter what the report says I will still buy whichever synthetic is cheapest at Wallyworld. Right now, with rebate Mobil1 is the winner, but I have used their house brand in other vehicles without issue. All meet the specs for the car/truck that it was used with, so basically, who cares!

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Very interesting read. I like the confirmation on the oil I have been using as well as the discussion regarding break in.
When I got my Fozy, it had 91 "dealer test drive " miles.
10 miles later,after it had thoroughly warmed up, I started to drive it " like I stole it...and continued to do so for the next hour or so on area fwy's. Many foot to the floor events, followed by coasting down to hyper mile speed in the slow lane, then multiple repeats..

..at 1000 or so miles, an oil change. After the 1st 4 free dealer oil changes I went to the following oil( quoted from textbelow).

In the 6-7 thousand miles change interval that I follow, I use no oil to speak of,,,stays at the full mark, IOW. Every other new vehicle that I followed the grandma break in procedure of "babying" the engine, they used oil.

."2. 0W20 Amsoil Signature Series, synthetic = 134,840 psi
The bottle does not have an API symbol, but it claims the oil can be used in applications that require API SN, GM dexos 1, ACEA A1/B1. It also claims to provide 75% better wear protection than required by the API SN specification. And it claims 50% more cleaning power than Amsoil OE motor oil.
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
This oil was tested Fall 2017. And it produced the highest psi value ever seen in my testing, from “ANY” motor oil just as it comes right out of the bottle, with no aftermarket additives. Very impressive. My test results confirm that Amsoil’s claim of this oil providing exceptional wear protection, is true. And this is further proof that you do NOT need heavy thick viscosity to provide such impressive wear protection.
As it stands in Fall 2017, Amsoil Signature Series synthetic motor oils, hold the top two positions in my Wear Protection Ranking List for oils just as they come, right out of the bottle, with no aftermarket additives. Motor oils have to be EXTREMELY GOOD to perform that well in my Engineering torture test on motor oil. Amsoil knows what they are doing, and they have set the bar to a new very high level.
"

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
119 Posts
Pretty much decided I would go with the 0W-20 Quaker State Ultimate Durability for my XT. I will pll a sample and do a UOA at 2000 Miles. If satisfactory another at 6000 miles and if OK go to at least 8000 miles.

Interesting to see the results. Also going with the FRAM Ultra Synthetic. It and the Purolator Boss ate both full Fiberglass Depth Media. Should be interesting.
Why would you use 0w20 oil when the XT calls for 5w30, seriously I don’t agree with the very low viscosity oils anyway I can’t remember the rules on this so edit this if required, but a guy posted on a forum site Mini Mania & he is a dr states how great these low viscosity oils are & then uses his Ferrari some thing or other & how Ferrari figured out how not everyone races their Ferrari’s and he says Ferrari used to call for 5w40 now they say to use 0w40 if you drive it just like in town not racing or high speed, if you race the car then you use 5w40 minimum race oil & up to 10w60 race oil depending on temperature!, now granted if I moved to Nome Alaska and right before it got below-45 Fahrenheit I would put Mobil 1 or what ever brand synthetic 0w20 but other wise 5w30 will protect the engine bearings etc. better & flow down to -45 ? The KEW sight even says viscosity matters the very low viscosity oils were developed for fuel economy only not to protect your engine better, our car is an investment not three years & done kinda purchase!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts