Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
301 - 320 of 762 Posts

· Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
43,974 Posts
It sound like the front height is just about perfect. :cool: Do you have to get the wheels realigned, since you had the struts off? :confused:

BTW, neat place to place the Subtle decal! :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

· Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
It sound like the front height is just about perfect. :cool: Do you have to get the wheels realigned, since you had the struts off? :confused:

BTW, neat place to place the Subtle decal! :wink:

Bobby...

It goes in for a camber adjustment on Wednesday. :smile: That is all it really needs, but I'll get a full alignment done anyway.

· Administrator
43,974 Posts

· Super Moderator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
27,731 Posts
He managed to get a generator rigged up to produce enough power to get running water again and some lights.

· Registered
2001 Forester
1,384 Posts
Yup, he is fine. I've gotten a few texts from him. They are without lots of stuff though. Had D3 tornado damage a mile from their house supposedly.

· Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 ·
All the people, goats, and Subbies on the farm made it okay. :lol:

Here are a couple random pics from the alignment today. First one was after the rough adjustments. Ended up with -0.5deg camber in the front, 0 in the rear, and near zero toe in the rear. Due to the rear suspension design, 0 toe is not really possible, the amount of toe changes with the load on the suspension :N_poke:. I loaded the car with my usual stuff in the back, and half a tank of gas.

· Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #313 ·
Does the OB feel/drive any different after the alignment? :confused:

Bobby...

Well, I was running about +1deg camber in the front to start, due to the lift. That caused the outsides of the tires to bite more instead of the insides, which creates some funny cornering/handling issues. Less stable, and more prone to over-steer or worst case scenario, the car flips. Of course, I drove it gently until I got it aligned. :smile:

It's back to its old, very planted, rides on rails, but smooth and and stable self. I think it will be perfect after a rear sway is added (maybe with some quick disconnects).

If you haven't had your Foz put on an alignment rack yet, I might recommend it. Duderotomty recommended -1.5-2deg all around for me (did not want any crazy tire wear), but unfortunately the Outback suspension isn't that adjustable with the lift. I got as much as I could out of it though, and it's great!

We finally had our '05 XS put on a rack a year ago, at 130k miles. It was night and day different. Amazing how some little tweaks can change the character of the car for the better.

· Administrator
43,974 Posts
To tell you the truth, I stopped having alignments done to my vehicles after a bad alignment experience on a vehicle (nonSubaru) way back. :frown: Was the alignment shop local or a National chain? :confused:

Bobby...

· Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 · (Edited)
To tell you the truth, I stopped having alignments done to my vehicles after a bad alignment experience on a vehicle (nonSubaru) way back. :frown: Was the alignment shop local or a National chain? :confused:

Bobby...

It's a local shop... the same shop that did the custom exhaust, and also did the exhaust on the Suburban a couple weeks ago.

If that alignment was on a GM truck... I wouldn't be scared about getting your Foz done. Both of our Chevy trucks are on Lifetime Alignment plans at Firestone Complete Auto Care, and they have to get done every 6mos or so, or they will scallop the tires to death. They are also somewhat of a pain to align.

On another note, I'm currently in Conover, NC on my way to Camp Lejeune for the summer. Within 30 mins of leaving the house this morning, my left front inner CV Joint boot tore, flinging grease and rubber all over the header and underside of the car. :mob: Guess I'll fix that while the engine's out. However, on I-40's twisty mountain section right after entering NC, the alignment really shined. Had a nice time, with an older ///M3 with an exhaust in front of me, and a C6 vette behind me, and I kept pace with them (not really fast) through the twisties. They weren't having as much fun as I was though, I don't think. :lol: You know what they say about driving a slow car fast.... it's more fun than driving a fast car slow. We were keeping it within 10mph of the speed limit though. :wink:

Surprised my bike is still on the roof. :icon_eek:

· Administrator
43,974 Posts
^^ Not a good start on your trip! :icon_eek:

As to an alignment. The nightmare alignment I mentioned was done on a GMC. It took several trips back before they got the steering wheel straight... seems like that would be something they'd keep an eye on? :confused:

Okay... wheel alignment is on the list. :wink:

Bobby...

· Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #317 ·
Lookie who I met today! Patrick (JustForFun). Ended up stopping for gas in Chapel Hill where he lives, and we met up for a few minutes after I filled up. My sister also snapped a few rolling shots of him while he followed us on I-40 for a bit, but I don't know how they turned out yet. She'd never shot a car before, let alone a rolling one. :smile:

· Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #318 ·
Patrick, make a Journal thread, Foo!

If you've got one, put these in it...

301 - 320 of 762 Posts